Heads Up to Stolen Bike

D

Deleted member 4366

If he's that dishonest, he probably isn't totally honest with how he acquired the bike.

Reactions: SRS

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
You must complain to the Police Commissioner. That is what they are there for.
If they do not get complaints, they will assume that everything is OK.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
This now appears to be a civil dispute between the insurance company and the finder.

Far be it from me to stick up for unhelpful coppers, but it's really not one for them.

Doesn't this guy have a small boat yard or outboard repair business?

He might care about his reputation locally, so it might be worth paying him a visit and, if still no joy, have a few words with nearby businesses.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Can you demand ransom for a stolen item? I would not have thought so.

Surely it would be proper to return the bike the the owner upon request and then bill accordingly for storage and cost etc.

Alternatively delivery it back to the owner and call it your good deed for the day.

If I had not worked hard to pay for the thing in the 1st place, I'd leave it be. Just bugs me that not only have I been robbed but now some greedy good for nothing wants to profit from it.

Hmm!

Last edited:

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Nightmare for you - All I can think off is take round a 'without prejudice' (or whatever the jargon is) payment/reward for say £50 and a bunch of flowers as a thank you for the finder's 'kindness' in looking after your bike - otherwise contact your local newspaper especially mentioning the businesses name and get the sorry saga published. Plus as mentioned earlier do contact the Police Commissionar as the Police's role has been less than satisfactory and a big part for the continuing mess.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Thanks for the replies. Having spoken to him, I'm not sure he is a bunch of flowers sort of guy.

I'll speak to the insurers next week and see what he is demanding. Maybe then I'll pay him a visit and sus him out.

All very disappointing, like my girlfriend says, if it were us we would be only too happy to reunite bike with original owner.

Wicky, I will contact the Police Commissioner as suggested. It is their failing that has caused the problem in the first place and they need to look at the way that the look at reported found items.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
At last, my insurance company has accepted my offer to buy my KTM back. Subject to my condition of it being undamaged when I pick it up from the finder. Good news I thought!

I called the so called finder today to arrange collection from his work premises.

He won't allow me access to take it as he is now demanding compensation and storage charges from my insurance company.

Nothing mentioned by the insurance company to me.

He requires compensation for his efforts in fixing a puncture and months of storage. Un-fking believable.

Whilst I am not a church goer, surely he had better watch his step from now on.

Is there anyone out there who knows the law on stolen and found goods?

Bike aside he still has my uninsured belongings attached to the bike and I cannot even get them back.

The police are no longer interested; this leaves me with the insurance company and a bloke who would sell his own mother.

Any thoughts welcome.
In addition to behaving like a complete @r$e hole, he is committing an offence of handling stolen goods. Until the bike is returned to its rightful owner (the insurance company, who have agreed to transfer owner ship to you) or taken into possession by the police, it remains stolen property. To retain property knowing or believing it to be stolen is a straight up and down handling stolen goods offence, no ambiguity. You need to go to the police and be assertive over this point. Maybe ask them to accompany you at a mutually agreed time to recover your bike. I'm Pretty sure they will agree to this rather than arrest the finder for handling.

If the finder sells the bike in order to recover his compo, he still commits an offence of disposing of stolen goods. His dispute is civil between himself and your insurance company. Holding stolen property as hostage whilst demanding an amount of unverified compensation isn't going to work.

If all else fails, wait for him locking up one night, after the clocks go forward in a few weeks.............

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
In addition to behaving like a complete @r$e hole, he is committing an offence of handling stolen goods. Until the bike is returned to its rightful owner (the insurance company, who have agreed to transfer owner ship to you) or taken into possession by the police, it remains stolen property. To retain property knowing or believing it to be stolen is a straight up and down handling stolen goods offence, no ambiguity. You need to go to the police and be assertive over this point. Maybe ask them to accompany you at a mutually agreed time to recover your bike. I'm Pretty sure they will agree to this rather than arrest the finder for handling.

If the finder sells the bike in order to recover his compo, he still commits an offence of disposing of stolen goods. His dispute is civil between himself and your insurance company. Holding stolen property as hostage whilst demanding an amount of unverified compensation isn't going to work.

If all else fails, wait for him locking up one night, after the clocks go forward in a few weeks.............
I shall get back in with the police today and hopefully force the issue.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
IT’S BACK!

The police were unwilling to pick the bike up. Seemed to be highly embarrassed that they gave the thing away the very next day after if was stolen.

The insurance company would rather have lost the bike than pay any storage costs.

I had the police negotiate a small payment from myself for the guy’s very kind storage of the bike. All I can say is Karma will catch up with him. (that is if you believe in such things)

I shall settle up with the insurance company and I'll be the owner again.

Anyway I am glad to have it back on one piece, means my girlfriend can keep up with myself and daughter when we are out riding.

Thanks to all who showed interest with their suggestions and comments and most of all Jonathan find.

It does goes to show the power of the internet and assuming you may wish for a stolen bike back, posting its loss.

Not sure that I would involve the police other than a crime number if it happened again. Just increases frustration.

Look forward to a family outing soon.

All the best Ian (SRS)

C

Cyclezee

Great news Ian,

After all the hassle I am glad this story has a happy ending:)

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Fantasic news Ian. :)

Enjoy a pint when you get it back.

Just out of interest, does the guy have a black Mercedes Vito?

Hi Eddie

Pint is on the table. Never even got to meet the guy, phone only.

Went to pick it up at his workshop in Newhaven. All locked up, bike left with a neighbouring business. No idea what car he has.

I expected as much. Quite sure he would not have been able to look me in the eye after demanding money for storage. His problem, not mine.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Well done !!! Great news.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
IT’S BACK!

The police were unwilling to pick the bike up. Seemed to be highly embarrassed that they gave the thing away the very next day after if was stolen.

The insurance company would rather have lost the bike than pay any storage costs.

I had the police negotiate a small payment from myself for the guy’s very kind storage of the bike. All I can say is Karma will catch up with him. (that is if you believe in such things)

I shall settle up with the insurance company and I'll be the owner again.

Anyway I am glad to have it back on one piece, means my girlfriend can keep up with myself and daughter when we are out riding.

Thanks to all who showed interest with their suggestions and comments and most of all Jonathan find.

It does goes to show the power of the internet and assuming you may wish for a stolen bike back, posting its loss.

Not sure that I would involve the police other than a crime number if it happened again. Just increases frustration.

Look forward to a family outing soon.

All the best Ian (SRS)
I'm pleased that you have your bike back, but disappointed to learn that you don't posses sufficient good grace to restrain yourself from attacking the police.

The police could have done better and they have made some mistakes when dealing with your case, but without them you wouldn't have got your bike back. The person who found it would have exploited the situation for their own financial advantage. It is the threat of police action and the police having a word in his ear that has resulted in the bike's return for a fair and realistic price. But still you spitefully complain that the police didn't collect the bike for you.

Anyway, you have your bike back and the original thief hasn't prospered on this ocaision, so that is a good result and you should be grateful to everyone who has helped you, and that includes the police.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I'm pleased that you have your bike back, but disappointed to learn that you don't posses sufficient good grace to restrain yourself from attacking the police.

The police could have done better and they have made some mistakes when dealing with your case, but without them you wouldn't have got your bike back. The person who found it would have exploited the situation for their own financial advantage. It is the threat of police action and the police having a word in his ear that has resulted in the bike's return for a fair and realistic price. But still you spitefully complain that the police didn't collect the bike for you.

Anyway, you have your bike back and the original thief hasn't prospered on this occasion, so that is a good result and you should be grateful to everyone who has helped you, and that includes the police.
Not sure what you are on about.
"made some mistakes" It has been a total F up, not my words.

It was the DC that said that the situation had become very complicated and highly embarrassing.

Under normal circumstances they would have picked up the bike immediately but in this case he felt it better to sort some sort of deal.

He had previously promised me that he would have the bike picked up.

There were some very critical words said by the DC. These were not aimed at me but I gather that I am not the only one disillusioned with the force.

My story was not posted to gain your or anyone else’s approval. If you don't approve then so be it.

It was originally intended to be a short story showing how straight forward and quick recovery of a stolen bike could be. My mistake.

For the record, I would have recovered the bike back without the police.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Whatever happened, you shouldn't be forced to pay a ransom to get your own stolen property back. I would add that to the list for the police commissioner. Are you going to write to her?

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
That's no reason not to complain about lack of service from the police that you're paying for.
Dave

I will write but not to present a massive complaint over service received.

I shall raise the issue that a lost or stolen item can be reported as found in one station, reported as lost or stolen in another and yet the two reports cannot be tied together.

In this day and age, with self searching databases and alike, how can this be so.

I believe that my recent situation must be one of many thousands across the country.
I shall be demanding an explanation.

If nothing else, hopefully this highlights a problem. Will it do any good? I doubt it but it will make me feel a bit better having said something.