Headset - No Centre Bolt?

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
The big nut underneath it looks like a set threaded forks 1 or 1-1/8 with a different stem on top
Yes you are correct the big nut is threaded. It’s actually a split nut threaded into the casting above the nut itself. To move the nut in or out you have to slacken off the clamp bolts above it. But then the whole assembly is free to turn and move up and down on the shaft. No way can it actually apply any tension?

The owners handbook is generic and shows 2 types of headset, both have the traditional centre bolt so damn useless on this setup.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Has anyone ever seen this setup on a headset? Specifically it has no centre bolt so no obvious means of tensioning the headset?
If I was doing this job, I would remove the clamp and handlebars first, to see what is underneath.
Then I would check out on YouTube for a similar piece of bike.
What is shown in the photos, I have not seen before, but under that may be "normal"possibly.
Best of luck.
Andy

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
If I was doing this job, I would remove the clamp and handlebars first, to see what is underneath.
Then I would check out on YouTube for a similar piece of bike.
What is shown in the photos, I have not seen before, but under that may be "normal"possibly.
Best of luck.
Andy
It’s an eBike andy, the only thing inside the tube are electric cables and brake/gear cables.

I’m guessing it’s a case of aligning the handlebars with the clamp bolts slack and the nut screwed fully into the clamp. Then tighten the clamp bolts and unscrew the nut until the play in the headset is taken up, without over doing it of course.

But until someone confirms it on here or from Raleigh when they can be bothered responding I’m leaving it well alone

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
It’s an eBike andy, the only thing inside the tube are electric cables and brake/gear cables.

I’m guessing it’s a case of aligning the handlebars with the clamp bolts slack and the nut screwed fully into the clamp. Then tighten the clamp bolts and unscrew the nut until the play in the headset is taken up, without over doing it of course.

But until someone confirms it on here or from Raleigh when they can be bothered responding I’m leaving it well alone
Its an e-bike forum, so no major surprises there for anyone!!
But thanks for the reminder, some might have forgotten!
But there will be few electrical cables, maybe for the front lights and the LCD, unless its a front hub motor....which wasn't on the photos! And the LCD should have a waterproof connector that you can pull apart quite easily.
Anyone with just a modicum of care, can remove the handlebars and that clamp.
Easy peasy!
If you are unhappy with that, and assuming that you still have a guarantee, then take it back to where you bought it, and ask them.
Though some shops seem to be on the Official Secrets list, and will only tell people who are on the "need to know" list.
Its called "Protecting your income".....
I can only repeat that I would have had a look, using the correct tools (you do have a proper bike tool kit I assume!) and not causing any damage, but I have been an engineer for a great many years, such "ventures into the unknown" were normal business for me and many others.
The way I see it, you have a very simple choice, try or do not try it!!
Your choice alone!
By the way, anything I say should not upset you at all as it appears.......remember, I cannot force anything here whatsoever.....
Have a great day.
Andy

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
It could have been a conversion ! That’s why I said it’s an eBike.

I have been an engineer, mechanic and plane builder but that doesn’t stop stupid mistakes. The only stupid engineers are the ones who won’t ask for advice.

Reactions: ebiker99

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
Well it took Raleigh over a week to get the answer, but for anyone wanting to know, the process is as follows.

Screw 36mm nut fully into clamp assembly
Align handlebars
Apply light downward pressure on centre of handlebars
Tighten top clamp bolt ONLY to 6-8Nm
Lift collar to expose 36mm nut
Unscrew 36mm nut to apply correct downward pressure to headset
Tighten bottom clamp bolt to 6-8Nm