Heinzmann 24v motor w/ 36v battery?

mobetta

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 30, 2015
I got a super deal on a Heinzman 24v rear hub motor and the deal included a battery that was still in transit from China. When the battery arrived, it was 36v 10ah. Am I hosed or can a resistor or governor be put in the circuit to deliver 24v. I've read that some motors can run this way. Will the motor run at 36v without burning out?

mobetta

Jun 30, 2015
More data on my setup:

The 36v controller I've ordered has the following specs:

Rated Voltage 36 Volts
Rated For Motors Up To 500 Watts
Maximum Current 25 Amps
Rated For Chargers Up To 3 Amps
Conversion Efficiency 95%
Under Voltage Protection 31 Volts

The battery is a LifePO4 battery pack

The Heinzmann motor has the following specs:

> h: 154/min
rpm at 24V and 30A
> P: 400W
the rated power (maximum power is 24Vx30A=720W)
> U: 24V
Voltage (pretty sure you can go up to 36V, but then power, torque and rpm go up as well.)
> Betreisbsart S 2
> 18 min
S2: running at a constant 500W, it shouldn't overheat before 18min are over
> RL 26/19
No idea... could be the internal gear ratio, number of armature coils, or so
> Mmax: 35Nm
Maximum torque
> Imax: 30A
Maximum allowed current
> In: 22A
Nominal current for S2 (22Ax24V=528W)

With the motor's max current at 22A and the controller at 25A, is that going to cause a problem? Is there some way to use a resistor to get the controller amps down a bit?

Can a Heinzmann hub be drilled for better cooling?

C

Cyclezee

Hi Mobetta,

Regarding your Heinzmann Classic motor identification, are you sure about the sticker label?

Normally they are in this format 870-00-XXX-XXXX
The third set of 3 digits should be 751 for a front wheel, 753 is rear, older motors are 151 for front and 153 for rear.

Here is an example from one of my bikes

image.jpg
I assume that you don't have the Hzm controller?
Personally I wouldn't try it at 36v, why not sell your 36v battery and buy a 24v.

D

Deleted member 4366

The old motors are brushed (two wires). You know that?

mobetta

Jun 30, 2015
>>Regarding your Heinzmann Classic motor identification, are you sure about the sticker label?

Yes, it's verbatim. A German ecar designer and Heinzmann guru said he couldn't find a reference for it in his model list, so it could be an older model. Neither the US Heinzman importer or the official Heinzmann website were any help IDing the motor. The two stickers on my motor are opposite each other, not next to each other.

>>I assume that you don't have the Hzm controller?
Personally I wouldn't try it at 36v, why not sell your 36v battery and buy a 24v?

No, I don't have the original controller and have ordered a generic brushed controller. There is lots of discussion here about running 24v motors on 36v successfully to get higher speeds. That's why I'm posting here, to see if this is doable with my Heinzmann motor.

mobetta

Jun 30, 2015
The old motors are brushed (two wires). You know that?
Yes, I got that sussed a while ago. I'm interested in knowing if a 36v battery will kill the motor or if it's a doable hot rod modification.

D

Deleted member 4366

Your motor is very slow if it's 154 rpm 36v will take it up to about 230 rpm, which is not particularly fast either, so it should be OK at maybe 20 amps as long as you don't let it struggle on hills.

mobetta

Jun 30, 2015
Your motor is very slow if it's 154 rpm 36v will take it up to about 230 rpm, which is not particularly fast either, so it should be OK at maybe 20 amps as long as you don't let it struggle on hills.
I plan to pedal assist on hills and never use full throttle. How fast is "not particularly fast"?

C

Cyclezee

Hi Mobetta,

I don't know if you are located in the UK or elsewhere in Europe, but if so would a 36v motor be of interest to you?
This is one that I have available.
IMG_20150831_080224 copy.jpg IMG_20150831_080249.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

I plan to pedal assist on hills and never use full throttle. How fast is "not particularly fast"?
Where did you find a brushed motor controller that has a connector for a pedal sensor?