Hello all for the first time

bessacarr

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 30, 2013
Hi - this is my first time so please treat me gently. I have a three year old Powabyke Salisbury which is working fine, but there is an annoying clicking noise coming from the rear hub. Strangely it only seems to happen when I am sitting on the bike and motoring along. When I spin the wheel when stationary the noise is not there. My fear is there is a problem with the motor. Does it need to be serviced perhap or can I do something myself? Grateful for advice please. Many thanks.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Hi bessacarr,
welcome to the site, I was wondering whether one of your rear spokes has come loose ?

D

Deleted member 4366

I second that. Nearly all clicking, tapping and creaking sounds come from the spokes - especially if the noise pattern matches the rotation of the wheel. You need a spoke key to tighten them, but the ones that you get from most bike shops don't fit your spoke size. These type usually work:
Bike Bicycle 6 Way Spoke Nipple Key Spanner Wrench Truing True Rim Tool Cycle | eBay
See if the noise changes after you've tightened any loose spokes before you start worrying about the motor. There are other possible causes, but eliminate this one first and then report back.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Welcome to the forum Bessacarr, looks like your problem may well have been solved......Im just wondering, going by your name, if you are a motorhome fan lol

Lynda :)

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Welcome to the forum Bessacarr, looks like your problem may well have been solved......Im just wondering, going by your name, if you are a motorhome fan lol

Hi Lynda,

But Bessacarr may not be a sleep around,so if not what will you ask? :eek:

Mountainsport.

bessacarr

Mar 30, 2013

Hi - yes we are motorhomers - presently in Southern Spain! Thanks for your reply.

bessacarr

Mar 30, 2013
Hi - thank you for your reply and helpful advice. I have bought the key. I am in Spain at the moment and will do what I can to check the spokes.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Hi - yes we are motorhomers - presently in Southern Spain! Thanks for your reply.
Yay....knew it...mines a Rapido 987M :cool:

I lived near Malaga for 14 years, I hope you get yourselves cycling on some of those Via Verdes whilst you are down there......enjoy ! :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Hi Lynda,

But Bessacarr may not be a sleep around,so if not what will you ask? :eek:

Mountainsport.
Tsssssss !! .......it had to be either a M/home or a caravan and us M/homers are a friendly bunch, waving to each other as we pass on the road.........either way, we ALL sleep around.....the thrill of the open road beats an hotel any day as far as I am concerned :D

bessacarr

Mar 30, 2013
Great advice, very many thanks. Spokes tightened, annoying sound disappeared. Thank you to all!