Hello All - Lifestyle change coming up

Julian in Frimley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 6, 2014
Just introducing myself as this looks like a fun Forum. At 48 and twice the man I should be (assuming I should really be around 14 stone), I decided I needed to change my lifestyle and ditch the car - so I took the plunge and purchased my first E-bike on Monday. The company I purchased it from was very helpful and let me try several bikes a few times and were very patient with me. Having had a few excursions between the rain I can honestly say I haven't had so much fun for a long time - my kids think it's hilarious seeing me wizz round at speed on this thing and although it is of course pedal assist I am getting some exercise again. Everyone that has had a go on the bike has been smiling from ear to ear, it's such fun ! I'll let you know how I get on but I am looking forward to the weekend and hopefully some drier weather. best wishes to all, Julian.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Hello and welcome, yes they're great fun aren't they, good luck with the weight loss. I'm 13 stone and still feel overweight.

Julian in Frimley

Feb 6, 2014
Hi, Many thanks for the kind messages. Well I tried several and finally went with an Oxygen Diva. It's a low step over unisex/ladies bike, however, it looks fine and I will pass it on to my wife when I get fit enough to get my leg over a standard cross bar version (i spent nearly a month in Hospital with a dodgy leg last year).. The reason why i chose this bike was it seems very smooth on the power assist and the riding position for me is quite good. Also having both front and rear lights connected to the battery and controlled from the LCD panel seems good. The whole build quality seems good and sturdy. It was over my original budget but I plan to use it almost every day. I went to Cyclotricity via E-bikesdirect and they were really helpful. Zak was very patient and allowed me to try out a range of bikes. A very positive experience so far.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Nothing wrong with a step through bike, look at the dutch.
I have a step through and I love it easier to mount and dismount, if you drop the bike off roading the frame doesnt take you down as well.
I look forward to progress reports.

Reactions: superDove

mijak

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2014
ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Just introducing myself as this looks like a fun Forum. At 48 and twice the man I should be (assuming I should really be around 14 stone), I decided I needed to change my lifestyle and ditch the car - so I took the plunge and purchased my first E-bike on Monday. The company I purchased it from was very helpful and let me try several bikes a few times and were very patient with me. Having had a few excursions between the rain I can honestly say I haven't had so much fun for a long time - my kids think it's hilarious seeing me wizz round at speed on this thing and although it is of course pedal assist I am getting some exercise again. Everyone that has had a go on the bike has been smiling from ear to ear, it's such fun ! I'll let you know how I get on but I am looking forward to the weekend and hopefully some drier weather. best wishes to all, Julian.
Welcome I to am a newbe returning to cycling after a long break, also hoping to lose weight although a little older:rolleyes: ahem, really enjoying it hoping to find some more cycle routes in my area soon to further my pleasure, atb, mike.

Julian in Frimley

Feb 6, 2014
Hi many thanks for all the replies and encouraagement. Just managed one trip to work last week due to weather and business trips. Hoping for a full run next week and of course will be out on the machine this weekend. Just a question for anyone - is there such a thing as a lightweight but sturdy bike ? I have to carry mine over a railway footbridge and having quite weak muscles it is a struggle (i have invested in a autostart powerball to improve my arm strength -great fun also -check them out). Thanks and best wishes to all.

C

Cyclezee

Hi many thanks for all the replies and encouraagement. Just managed one trip to work last week due to weather and business trips. Hoping for a full run next week and of course will be out on the machine this weekend. Just a question for anyone - is there such a thing as a lightweight but sturdy bike ? I have to carry mine over a railway footbridge and having quite weak muscles it is a struggle (i have invested in a autostart powerball to improve my arm strength -great fun also -check them out). Thanks and best wishes to all.
Hi Julian,

Sturdy and lightweight are usually a contradiction in terms when it comes to electric bikes.

Just thinking laterally here, is there no way round the footbridge that is both safe and convenient?

Julian in Frimley

Feb 6, 2014
Hi Julian,

Sturdy and lightweight are usually a contradiction in terms when it comes to electric bikes.

Just thinking laterally here, is there no way round the footbridge that is both safe and convenient?
Hi John, thanks for the reply, unfortunately no way around without going on major roads which I don't want to do - I have driven around, google earthed etc looking for any way, unfortunately it's like the search for the north west passage. However, excellent news, I have found a way to get over the bridge easily: On the side of the (metal) bridge when the railings meet the steps there is a narrow strip of metal just wide enough to put both wheels on and by using the throttle control carefully I can slowly power the bike smoothly up the side of the steps (walking by the side of it of course), so , problem solved ! and it's taken a couple of minutes off my time. Getting more confident now and getting that balance back. I am really enjoying this bike, it is literally giving me a new lease of life :)

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
Hi John, thanks for the reply, unfortunately no way around without going on major roads which I don't want to do - I have driven around, google earthed etc looking for any way, unfortunately it's like the search for the north west passage. However, excellent news, I have found a way to get over the bridge easily: On the side of the (metal) bridge when the railings meet the steps there is a narrow strip of metal just wide enough to put both wheels on and by using the throttle control carefully I can slowly power the bike smoothly up the side of the steps (walking by the side of it of course), so , problem solved ! and it's taken a couple of minutes off my time. Getting more confident now and getting that balance back. I am really enjoying this bike, it is literally giving me a new lease of life :)
Same here.... 50 years since i last rode a bike, getting my balance back, loving it, it's certainly given me a new lease of life!

Julian in Frimley

Feb 6, 2014
Isn't it amazing ? :) I feel like such a kid again - this morning I was hassling one of my teenage son's to join me on a bike ride which he gamely did (after finishing his gaming on his PC). We had a great couple of hours wizzing round the cycle tracks at the Alice Holt Forest (Bucks Horn Oak Nr Farnham). Now I have recovered my balance I am startign to be able to do things like stand up on the pedals when going over bumps ! Skills is returning !

D

Deleted member 4366

You'll start to get extra strength in your legs, so soon you'll find yourself pedalling harder and harder for extra weight loss and general fitness. Are you managing to ride it to work now? I found that riding every day made a massive difference to my strength.

Julian in Frimley

Feb 6, 2014
Hi, Yes, when I don't have a business trip and it's not raining I am riding to work, however, my time has already reduced down to just 20 mins as my strength is returning so I am finding ways to increase the distance. I have also set up a Wednesday evening ride with a colleague from work, so far I have managed to ride every day. I have got a lot of work to do though as I need to loose about 10 Stone :-( Still, I have 1.5 years until I hit the big 50 and having been very active when I was younger has helped I think. I will try to do a long ride this summer. I did the London to Oxford and the Shepton Mallet to Bath Century ride in the dim and distant past.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
You'll need the right saddle for a ride like that, then :rolleyes:

An aching bum don't half take the shine off a marathon ride.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
But what bike is good for century rides!
I have my wizard ideas but open to others

And welcome