Hello all. Question re buying a new ebike.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Ive dipped in and out of this forum for years on and off. As I've always wanted an Ebike. I'm now finally in
A situation to get one so I've been reading through 100s of threads. firstly , thanks for all the great content.

I've dropped from 21 stone to 17 in the last 2 years and intend to drop another 2 this year. Im 5 foot 10 and Im not really built for cycling As I'm top heavy due to weight lifting. Im built more for carrying a wardrobe up stairs. My energetic 10 year old could cycle all day. And as I'm nearly 50 it seems an ebike would be a good idea. I have an old falcon bike that I use occasionally with twist grip gears. It will be mostly a few miles to a woods or park or pub etc. Some long but not overly steep hills.

I'm thinking of the Woosh Bali CD. As a driving instructor I teach gears and have owned motorbikes. So Im thinking the CD and gear change trick with throttle up , off, brake change throttle will be quite natural for me. Will I get a better pull along of my bulk with a crank drive? I don't prefer the big bear as I'm not keen on the battery on the back and curved styling.

I'm in Bexley, if there's a problem will I have to be driving to Southend? or are their other places nearby that can fix ebike issues.

Lastly are their any alternatives around the £1000 bracket that you would recommend?

thanks for your patience.

Reactions: Gaz

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Ive spoken with woosh on similar points and i am sure Tony of Woosh will answer in more detail here soon.

For what its worth i would strongly advise going to southend and physically try a few different models especially as woosh will be getting some new models early in 2017.

You already have a falcon maybe you could consider a conversion?

The bali is a good bike and at a competitive price but i dont think it has the more popular 8fun cd motor, which you may be able to fit to your falcon?

I know that woosh do have mechanics in certain parts if the Country but not sure if your area is covered but tony will be able to tell you.

Good luck with your search

Andy

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Tugwell,

You would be more than welcome to come along to Southend and try several bikes. The Bali seems like a good choice, but there are also a few others (Bermuda, Zephyr B, the Big Bear and yes, the new fat bike. Give it a quick go even if it is unlikely). We are back open at 10 this coming Tuesday and then open every week day, Saturdays by appointment. With regard to servicing the Bali should not need any electrical servicing as such, just routine mechanical maintenance which a local bike shop or you could do easily, but we can also do this for you and are not too far away..

Hatti

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Thanks for the reply Andy. A conversion isn't probably worth it. Whilst the bike is adequate for me. I'm not a proper cyclist. So I have no idea of its quality. It's 15 years old and cost about 195 from discount cycles in dulwich.
It's probably not done 100 miles in all that time. Just remembered it's a Falcon explorer. And any work would have to be paid for as I'm clueless. It's been a revelation reading the threads on here and learning about tightening spokes and trueing wheels. I had no idea you were meant to check spokes....

Ive spoken with woosh on similar points and i am sure Tony of Woosh will answer in more detail here soon.

For what its worth i would strongly advise going to southend and physically try a few different models especially as woosh will be getting some new models early in 2017.

You already have a falcon maybe you could consider a conversion?

The bali is a good bike and at a competitive price but i dont think it has the more popular 8fun cd motor, which you may be able to fit to your falcon?

I know that woosh do have mechanics in certain parts if the Country but not sure if your area is covered but tony will be able to tell you.

Good luck with your search

Andy

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
thanks Hatti. I will look into that. No real hurry. As weathers against the leisure cyclist right now.

Hi Tugwell,

You would be more than welcome to come along to Southend and try several bikes. The Bali seems like a good choice, but there are also a few others (Bermuda, Zephyr B, the Big Bear and yes, the new fat bike. Give it a quick go even if it is unlikely). We are back open at 10 this coming Tuesday and then open every week day, Saturdays by appointment. With regard to servicing the Bali should not need any electrical servicing as such, just routine mechanical maintenance which a local bike shop or you could do easily, but we can also do this for you and are not too far away..

Hatti