Hello all, thanks for the forum!

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Hi all,

My name is Sam and I'm an alcoholic.

Damn, sorry, wrong forum..... ;)

I found this place through searching for anything on ebikes and it's been really helpful so thank you everybody :)

Anything with wheels I like. I go through phases of getting slightly less unfit on my road bike and also enjoy 4 wheeled shenanigans at many of the race tracks across the UK.

My interest in ebikes started when looking for a 'normal' bike for my partner. The shop mainly did ebikes and I couldn't help but have a look. FFWD to today and it's ended up with me posting here after getting stuck on some questions...

Wish list:
- I'd intend to use it for a 25 mile round trip commute with a quite a big hill, without having to charge in between journeys.
- I wouldn't want to make much effort to ride it - the whole thing for me would be cheap and easy transport that wouldn't make me sweat.
- I'd want it to be as quick as my road bike doing the same journey. As comfortable as possible too.

Does that sound like a realistic ask?
What should I budget?
I've seen a few of the sellers from here but is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Something I'm unsure of is the speed limiter. I've read that sometimes they can be generous and give 16/17 mph instead of the 15.6 mph. Is this true? Living in London I'd never be doing any high speed but a few extra mph would be very useful. What sort of cruising speed is normal with minimal effort?
Will they maintain this speed up hill without a sweat?

Any suggestions?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any help :)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Lol I like it! Not quite my taste though ;)

Why don't you think it'd fit the bill?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
If you up the effort you're prepared to put in a little bit then I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations. Stating your budget will help.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Damn, sorry, wrong forum.
Ha! Like that.

Sam, have you had a go on any electric bike yet ?
I think you'll find yourself pedalling but feeling bionic.
And you'll get a great deal of information that's impossible to describe.
What part of London?

Reactions: git-r

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
- do you mean up the effort in terms of intended pedalling? - hopefully no confusion there.
- TBH I'm not sure what sort of budget to use, I was thinking there might be a sort of acceptable or popular amount to pay for an ebike that would get something of decent quality that won't fall to bits.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Ha! Like that.

Sam, have you had a go on any electric bike yet ?
I think you'll find yourself pedalling but feeling bionic.
And you'll get a great deal of information that's impossible to describe.
What part of London?
Hehe :)

Thanks for that. Yes, I had a brief go on one but can't remember what type it was. It was fun!!

I'm near Crystal Palace.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hehe :)

Thanks for that. Yes, I had a brief go on one but can't remember what type it was. It was fun!!

I'm near Crystal Palace.
Nice views!
A budget of £1000 - £1200 in my view will get you 12-14ah, which I think is what you'll need.
Choose a bike you like the look of and go try it, up some hills.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Nice views!
A budget of £1000 - £1200 in my view will get you 12-14ah, which I think is what you'll need.
Choose a bike you like the look of and go try it, up some hills.
Thanks for this - was hoping for around this figure :)

Will take a look..

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Go and try as many as you can and find the one that you find is OK for you.
After a few miles on it you well maybe change the saddle or somethink?
But you will have a smile on your face;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Which style of bike road type, hybrid or mtb, step thru, cross bar or unisex bar. Front hub, rear hub or a crank drive system and finally pedal sensor/cadence & throttle or torque sensor & throttle.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
If they make it in Yellow without the stupid graphics it would get me going back to the petrol station, 65 kg! It just needs a rack and some pannier bags, oh and a dongle to get over 45 kph... :D
Indeed, it would of course be designed from the off to comply with moped laws (30 mph top speed here)
I'd be very tempted by this Yahama, around 18 hp would do me just fine.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Indeed, it would of course be designed from the off to comply with moped laws (30 mph top speed here)
I'd be very tempted by this Yahama, around 18 hp would do me just fine.

That's a absolute beauty ! I'd buy it in a heartbeat

Shame it never made it out of concept

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Likewise, it's gorgeous. Instead their current concept will probably make production.

Far more practical offering and still has that vintage look

But that's it.

It isn't off the charts gorgeous or unusual

I wouldn't happily sell my first born for it !

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Thanks all for the comments :)

Will make some calls tomorrow and see where they take me..

I'm totally open but had eyed up the Kalkhoff Pro Connect 10. It's expensive but if it does what it says on the tin fair enough.

Speed and lack of effort is an issue so will see what it's like.

This is more my thing:

sorry, again... wrong forum ...