Hello All!

Cliff-C

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2016
UK
Hi All

I am a keen cyclist, both road and off road, but these days struggle up the bigger hills as fitness and knees not what they were.

Looking to get into electric bikes and thinking of either converting my full suspension Trek EX8 or maybe getting a hybrid as a base for a kit.

Always happy to share thoughts and ideas.

Best wishes

Cliff

Reactions: KirstinS

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
For any real cyclist, a torque system gives you the real feel. I used to say the settings were 20 years younger, 20 years old and liar. The Panasonic crank drive was great.

I'm running a BBS01 kit now it's on/ off power delivery so not as nice to ride but cheaper and takes the sting out of hills.
It helps with starts then you do all the work on the flats and you can get big mileage from a small battery.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Cliff-C

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2016
UK
For any real cyclist, a torque system gives you the real feel. I used to say the settings were 20 years younger, 20 years old and liar. The Panasonic crank drive was great.

I'm running a BBS01 kit now it's on/ off power delivery so not as nice to ride but cheaper and takes the sting out of hills.
It helps with starts then you do all the work on the flats and you can get big mileage from a small battery.[/QUOTE

I was thinking about a bbs02. How do you find the crank drive when you have no power assist on? Does it have a lot of resistance? I wondered if a hub drive would be easier to peddle without the power on?

What kind of distances are you getting with your battery (Bristol is pretty hilly I recall)?

Cliff-C

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2016
UK
I was thinking about a bbs02. How do you find the crank drive when you have no power assist on? Does it have a lot of resistance? I wondered if a hub drive would be easier to peddle without the power on?

What kind of distances are you getting with your battery (Bristol is pretty hilly I recall)?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The bbs01 does fine. I avoid the steepest hills and get around 140 miles from a sixteen Ah battery. That's more than almost anyone else.
But my bike is very energy efficent too.
If your a real cyclist you don't need anymore than the BBs 01 it has a peak power of over 700watts.
With legal settings I can average 16+ mph even with traffic and lights.
Give me an open road and who knows what I might get certainly 20 mph average would be possible.
Most of my riding is above the cutoff so no issues unpowered.

Cliff-C

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2016
UK
Those speeds would be plenty for me. I have a motorbike if I want to go any faster.

You say your bike is energy efficient. What are you using and how have you achieved that?

I am leaning towards getting a flat bar road bike as a base for a conversion. Think my mountain bike is a bit over gunned for road and light trails.

Sent from my Paris using Tapatalk

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I ride a comfortable recumbent, full suspension and a high ish riding position. Therefore 150 watts of effort gets me over 16 mph something I can do so I don't use electric power except for starting and hill climbing.
Even then on some of my local roads I get up to 35+ mph on the down hill and slow gradually on the climb but still doing over 15 at the top so no power use again despite a slow grind for anyone on a mountain bike.
Most people here use mountain/ hybrid bikes that are as aero as a brick so 15 mph takes a lot of effort. Hence my efficiency and low power use disputed not being a fit cyclist.

Cliff-C

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2016
UK
I ride a comfortable recumbent, full suspension and a high ish riding position. Therefore 150 watts of effort gets me over 16 mph something I can do so I don't use electric power except for starting and hill climbing.
Even then on some of my local roads I get up to 35+ mph on the down hill and slow gradually on the climb but still doing over 15 at the top so no power use again despite a slow grind for anyone on a mountain bike.
Most people here use mountain/ hybrid bikes that are as aero as a brick so 15 mph takes a lot of effort. Hence my efficiency and low power use disputed not being a fit cyclist.

Cliff-C

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2016
UK
Ah that explains the speed and range. More aerodynamic.

Not sure I would go with a recumbent though as where I live in Hertfordshire there is a lot of traffic and too many drivers trying to kill you.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
With legal settings I can average 16+ mph
you can set it to 10mph and 200w its still illegal under uk law.

• Disagree
Reactions: D8ve

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
  • Dislike
Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can change the settings and the speed limit i cant do that less i use a dongle.

and then i can only lift the speed limit, you can also dump 700w and max amps of power in to it which i can not.

no kit you can buy that you can change the speed limit is not legal on uk roads.

dongle
program cable
or the ability to rise the speed limit it makes no difference.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The Department of Transport say that electric bikes fitted with off-road switches or modes, that enable a bike’s motor to continue assisting to speeds beyond 15.5mph, do not comply with UK EAPC law.

or do you not get that! legal settings. there is no such thing if you are able to change them.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
As I have said before it's a of road switch that's mentioned in the legislation.
Not reprogramming.
I stay dull and legal. I still hit 40 mph regularly but that's unassisted.

You might use a dongle and ride an unlicensed motor vehicle please stop trying to insult me and others by calling us illegal.
It's also no good for the image of electric bikes to have your provocative statements.
Think of the red top misquotes, all electric bikes illegal etc.
And remember if you are dongled and have any accident you could end up in deep do do.
Me I'm legal for that reason alone.
And going illegal well I don't see it adding significantly to my ride pleasure or range. Yes it gives limited short speed bursts but I get that anyway with sweat.
And if I need to do 50 mph either of our family cars can do that all day long.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so would my bike be legal if i could re programme it ? its not a off road switch its the point off you can change the speed limit or are you that ....

(admin note- can we debate politely please)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
  • so would my bike be legal if i could re programme it ? its not a off road switch its the point off you can change the speed limit or are you that stupid?

From .gov
We are aware of some electric cycles that have a switch offering a temporary increase in top speed that is often advertised as an "off road" facility. When the switch is pressed the vehicle can be propelled by the motor at a speed greater than 15.5 mph. Vehicles with this feature fitted do not, in our opinion, comply with the GB EAPC Regulations.

Your insult is why I don't join in some debates. It's not positive or helpful.
And the end of our debate here. Ignore function engaged.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ill make it simple, if you can change the speed limit above 15.5 mph then it does not comply with UK EAPC law.

i can set it to 15.5 mph but also can raise this limit does not comply with uk epac law.

telling new members you have a legal setting is misleading them and utter rubbish so stop it.

Reactions: craiggor

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
ill make it simple, if you can change the speed limit above 15.5 mph then it does not comply with UK EAPC law.

i can set it to 15.5 mph but also can raise this limit does not comply with uk epac law.

telling new members you have a legal setting is misleading them and utter rubbish so stop it.
There's no point in replying, as like many others he's got you on ignore.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton

No need for rudeness Soundwave

Also, and importantly, I don't believe you are correct. There was a fad for off road buttons. These are illegal.

The fact you can reprograme doesn'tb make a legal kit illegal. You can mess with any legal setup and make it illegal.
I can do so on mine by adding a booster pack increasing voltage from 36 to 48. Some can be re programmed and some simplly changed in the lcd settings

A legal kit is just that..... Until a user makes it not so by whatever method. It is only the very very easy booster button that has a specific exclusion in law

And the reason was to react to the market.

• Informative
Reactions: D8ve and LeighPing

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Ah that explains the speed and range. More aerodynamic.

Not sure I would go with a recumbent though as where I live in Hertfordshire there is a lot of traffic and too many drivers trying to kill you.
Welcome to forum

I was born and bred in deep herts countryside. I would not go near a recumbent round there either !!

That 140 range is quite exceptional !

Bet on 30 to 50 imho as an unfit (or in my case lazy) cyclist