• Broadman MTX 8.8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • giant disk 0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Qwertyp774

Just Joined
Jun 25, 2023
I'm 35 looking to get in to e-biking after finding a couple of bike which have taken my eye.

Will be more of a lurker untill I've got my head round things.

..Mean while i do need some help in selecting a conversion kit (1000w) for the Broadman MTX 8.8 or potentially giant disk 0 ( i want something sporty and more comfortable on longer rides)

Will be using it mostly to commute to and from work (5 miles a day) and local town/city riding

Any help will be very much appreciated in this minefield
Thanks
Adam.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm 35 looking to get in to e-biking after finding a couple of bike which have taken my eye.

Will be more of a lurker untill I've got my head round things.

..Mean while i do need some help in selecting a conversion kit (1000w) for the Broadman MTX 8.8 or potentially giant disk 0 ( i want something sporty and more comfortable on longer rides)

Will be using it mostly to commute to and from work (5 miles a day) and local town/city riding

Any help will be very much appreciated in this minefield
Thanks
Adam.
I don't think you'll be happy with 1000w. Your typre can't really cope with that. you have to do a lot of emergency stops because cars don't expect you to go so fast. It just becomes tedious. 5 miles is nothing. My advice would be to keep to about 20 mph if you want an illegal bike. You can get all the power you need with a legal motor, which is one less thing to worry about.

Reactions: Qwertyp774

Qwertyp774

Just Joined
Jun 25, 2023
I don't think you'll be happy with 1000w. Your typre can't really cope with that. you have to do a lot of emergency stops because cars don't expect you to go so fast. It just becomes tedious. 5 miles is nothing. My advice would be to keep to about 20 mph if you want an illegal bike. You can get all the power you need with a legal motor, which is one less thing to worry about.
Thank you for your input, thinking about that it does make sense. To get 20mph what W motor would i need ? as it varies on online searches.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thank you for your input, thinking about that it does make sense. To get 20mph what W motor would i need ? as it varies on online searches.
Most motors can spin to 20 mph, but don't have much power to sustain it at that speed. You can get round that by choosing any standard 36v rear hub-motor and running it with a 48v battery and controller. That gives you 30% more grunt too for hills, which is enough for most people, or you can get a 36v motor that can spin to about 25 mph, which you can run at 36v.

How much do you weigh and what sort of hills do you have to tackle?

In case you're thinking of buying a new bike to convert, I wouldn't advise it. There are loads of good bikes on Facebook and Ebay for between £100 and £200 that are perfect.

Qwertyp774

Just Joined
Jun 25, 2023
Most motors can spin to 20 mph, but don't have much power to sustain it at that speed. You can get round that by choosing any standard 36v rear hub-motor and running it with a 48v battery and controller. That gives you 30% more grunt too for hills, which is enough for most people, or you can get a 36v motor that can spin to about 25 mph, which you can run at 36v.

How much do you weigh and what sort of hills do you have to tackle?

In case you're thinking of buying a new bike to convert, I wouldn't advise it. There are loads of good bikes on Facebook and Ebay for between £100 and £200 that are perfect.
I weigh about 82kg, the 2 biggest gradients are 7% and 4% if that helps, one is much more of a gradual incline compared to the other which is very steep at one point.

That was my plan yes, to buy new. There aren't any of what i'm looking for at the moment, not in any rush so i may sit and wait and save a few quid.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I weigh about 82kg, the 2 biggest gradients are 7% and 4% if that helps, one is much more of a gradual incline compared to the other which is very steep at one point.

That was my plan yes, to buy new. There aren't any of what i'm looking for at the moment, not in any rush so i may sit and wait and save a few quid.
At 85kg, I'd recommend a standard 36v motor at 48v, and run it with about 15A. You can buy everything from Topbikekit or BMSBattery if you can't find it on Ebay or Amazon. Those suppliers give you a choice of motor speed. You need around 300 RPM. Yoy get that by buying say a 48v 328 rpm one directly or a 36v 260 rpm one and run it at 48v. they're identical motors. Just the markings are different.

Qwertyp774

Just Joined
Jun 25, 2023
At 85kg, I'd recommend a standard 36v motor at 48v, and run it with about 15A. You can buy everything from Topbikekit or BMSBattery if you can't find it on Ebay or Amazon. Those suppliers give you a choice of motor speed. You need around 300 RPM. Yoy get that by buying say a 48v 328 rpm one directly or a 36v 260 rpm one and run it at 48v. they're identical motors. Just the markings are different.
If i can get a bike cheap enough i think (got my eye on one on ebay), i'll just do an amazon job and buy all together, really appreciate your advice, thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
how much you got ?