Hello from Littleborough Lancs

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Hi, Just joined this and other ebike fora. (there's the first thing to debate the plural of forum!) Got a Bbs01b 250w on order to fit my hybrid bike.
I might also try it on my giraffe unicycle. (Not!)
I do a mix of off road on local bridleways, canal towpath and roads, a few hills around here too.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Hi, Just joined this and other ebike fora. (there's the first thing to debate the plural of forum!) Got a Bbs01b 250w on order to fit my hybrid bike.
I do a mix of off road on local bridleways, canal towpath and roads, a few hills around here too.
Someone else recently joined from Littleborough but seems to have disappeared.
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/finally-took-the-plunge.38030/#post-564528
Welcome from an ex Rochdalian.
Dave.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Let us know if you need any help with your conversion. In the meantime, here's some help with English language:

Forums is correct for forum as in discussion boards. Fora is the plural of forum when referring to public squares in ancient Roman cities.

Reactions: jimriley

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Let us know if you need any help with your conversion. In the meantime, here's some help with English language:

Forums is correct for forum as in discussion boards. Fora is the plural of forum when referring to public squares in ancient Roman cities.
Well, I "of" flushed out a fellow pedant, there's much dissent on this one...
Fora and forums are plurals of forum. The former conforms to the original Latin, which some people prefer, while others like the Anglicized form. Neither is right or wrong, and choosing between them is mostly a matter of preference. Be aware, however, that forums is by far the more common form in most types of writing throughout the English-speaking world. Fora still has the edge in scientific and scholarly contexts, though. This is not surprising, as Latin forms are typically more common in these types of writing. Outside these contexts, fora can be distracting and even confusing to readers who are used to seeing the English word.

Daz73

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 19, 2020
Hello JIm, from Rochdale myself but living in Cardiff these days :)

Reactions: D C

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hi ,
I am down the road in Heywood.
Im just waiting for a break in the weather (fair weather rider..!) before I head over your way.
My plan is to do the 34 mile route from Heywood to Littleborough , up Blackstone Edge ,now that's a climb ,left at the reservoir down to Hebden Bridge, Todmorden ,Littleborough again then Rochdale and home. Its a nice little circuit with a motor on the bike I hope . Last time I did it was as a kid and it took about 6 hours ...lol. Im hoping with a bit of assistance from the Bafang motor I will do it in less than 3 hours this time. Wish me luck..! And give me a wave if you see me..huffing and puffing up Blackstone Edge.

Reactions: D C and jimriley

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Last time that I did Blackstone Edge was nigh on 40 years ago, but was a regular but not extremely fit cyclist, immsmr it took me above half an hour, slow and steady. Then I went and watched the milk race tour of Britain go up... Hill, what hill? Same watching the Yorkshire Tour de France come up the 4 mile Turvin Rd/cragg vale road.

Reactions: D C and RobN

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Well, I "of" flushed out a fellow pedant, there's much dissent on this one...
Fora and forums are plurals of forum. The former conforms to the original Latin, which some people prefer, while others like the Anglicized form. Neither is right or wrong, and choosing between them is mostly a matter of preference. Be aware, however, that forums is by far the more common form in most types of writing throughout the English-speaking world. Fora still has the edge in scientific and scholarly contexts, though. This is not surprising, as Latin forms are typically more common in these types of writing. Outside these contexts, fora can be distracting and even confusing to readers who are used to seeing the English word.
I'm just a mere engineer, not a scholar. I never was much good at English; however, I did manage to get my Latin O-level grade C. It's weird that I could understand Latin better than English. Mind you, it was so exciting. There was prancing Pyrrhus holding up the sword while it glinted in the sunlight, then he thrust it into Priam right up to the hilt. The blood went everywhere and his feet were slipping in it when he tried to walk away. I can still remember it after 50 years. Yes, much better than the books like "Two Non-binaries Find Their Safespace" that the kids have to read today. Do they still teach Latin? I can't say I've ever heard it mentioned in the last 30 years or so.

Caesar ad sum iam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar was already here, Brutus turned up too.

Last edited:

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Welcome - I live in Stockport but sometimes come up your way when taking the Rochdale Canal up to Hebden Bridge.

Some beautiful countryside up there !

Reactions: RobN

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Gorilla 2 part epoxy for me over Araldite.
Sugru is ok but once opened doesn't keep/ last long even in the fridge.