Hello from Malta. Need help please

cellinu

Just Joined
Jan 15, 2019
Hi you all... I need some help as running out of ideas!

I have a MATE eBike which is a joy to ride. Recently my controller fried and I got one of these Chinese ones which included the display so that I would have less hassle finding the connections. I am quite experienced in electronics and managed to change it and it seems to work under test. I mean, when the throttle is engaged the motor turns. Same thing with the pedaling sensors, if I turn the pedals the motor turns.

The only thing this is wrong is that in actual operation, I can hear the motor engaging when I turn the throttle or pedal but it does not provide any torque at all. In fact I tested it again under test conditions and although if I let go, the wheel does turn, if I hold it with one finger it does not. Everything else is working, brake sensors etc but no torque.

What could this be ? I very much doubt its the motor as the bike is not old. Besides, when I connect the "learning" cables the torque seems to be there. I could obviously only test the "learning" mode on test and not on the road!

Any ideas please ?

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
I’m sure someone will be along soon with some help
If not there’s loads of threads and advice to be had on here

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The learn wires I believe only sense the correct motor spin direction.
It is possible the phase is out of sync and that you may have to switch the 3 phases around to find the best solution, it is not a given that matching wire colours will always work with phases on e-bikes. Also if it is a sensored hub you have many more combinations in fact 36 combos to try with 6 differing hall sequences, of all of these only half a dozen will work effectively so you just go with the best option that you find.
Below is a fault finding chart to go through, write every combo down on a sheet of paper and add remarks to the combo that works best, you may happen across a very good option during the process in which case you could stop the process and work with that option or continue to complete all combo's.Phase-Hall-Wire-Combinations.png

cellinu

Just Joined
Jan 15, 2019
Thanks for the reply... What do you mean 36 combinations ? Arent there three cables going to the motor Blur, Green and Yellor? Or you mean the other thin ones too ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As above in the spreadsheet 3 phase wires and 3 hall wire all Blue, Green & Yellow.
There ae 36 wire combo's phase wiring along with 6 combo's of hall wire. Red & Black hall remain untouched as they are v+/Gnd.
You may not need to try all combinations as one early on during testing may prove to work very well.

Your description sounds like the phase is out of sync so the correct order is in need to be found for better running.

DON'T use throttle whilst testing for operation as this may cause damage by supplying to many amps so use low PAS level to apply power.
For testing swapping the phase bullets over is easy for the hall wires disconnecting them might be harder so make up some jumper leads to connect the hall temporary to each other then just swap over the three colours if required as you go through the spreadsheet.

Last edited:

cellinu

Just Joined
Jan 15, 2019
I see !! So that's why 36 combinations. The other thin wires, black, white and black, I don't need to bother about so ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I see !! So that's why 36 combinations. The other thin wires, black, white and black, I don't need to bother about so ?
Other thin hall wires should be Red 5v, Black Gnd & White speed sensor these you do nothing with except to connect them up to matching colours.