Hello from Manchester

ru88erduck2010

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 13, 2018
Hi my names Darren From Manchester. Im in the process of converting a mountain bike for my partner to commute to work on. Ive bought a 36v 500w Voilamart motor from eblag...i mean ebay. Im lookin to buy a battery for it. Ive found one that is a 36v 15.5ah 561w. Can i confirm that this will be ok for this motor. Her commute is 6 miles on a very very very slight down hill slope and very very very slight uphill back home. The bike is on road tyres with a kevlar belt and higher pressures to help against rolling resistance. Have i got this about right atall??. Thanks in advance for your input

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hi, welcome to the forum:), battery sounds OK for your kit, put up a link to it and we can confirm. Take it's a front wheel kit as you are running belt drive. Those cheap kits are not the best choice, as they are heavy and direct drive, but should work OK for a flatish commute.

Reactions: ru88erduck2010

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Well it's cheap for it's capacity, but with battery packs, you really do get what you pay for. Built with non branded Chinese cells I would say, which can be fine, but also can lose capacity quickly. Looks like it is poss. old stock from this company, which until recently had an OK reputation, so you might be lucky. This is their latest offering of the same spec pack.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/US-EU-Free-Tax-Hailong-ebike-batterie-36V-15AH-15-6Ah-Lithium-ion-battery-36V-350W/1178407_32924192069.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.35.79362fef9tQcNm
There are certainly better batteries to be had, but at the price, I'm sure it will be OK for your partners short flatish commute. Trying to avoid prolonged full throttle use will help with not stressing the cells too badly and prolong it's life.

ru88erduck2010

Dec 13, 2018
thanks for that i will pass it along. I know no one can give me figures as each situation has so many variables,but....what sort of distance should she be expecting from this, will it cover the 12 miles of commute do you think?? Again i appreciate everyones time

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
15.6ah so must be 10s6p using 2600mah cells, if you are very lucky they might be Sam 26F though as mentioned probably China branded cells.
For the short term we can only guess on mileage but would expect min of 25/30miles and up to 50 may be possible on pas3 .

Even if watt hour per mile use is 20wh theoretically the battery should manage 28 miles, for the first 12months it should be good then afterwards performance may taper off a bit. Winter riding performance will be 20% or so less due to cold weather as it affects lithium then spring into summer it will perk up a bit.

Last edited:

ru88erduck2010

Dec 13, 2018
Thank you for that, loads of info i didnt know. Would you recommend charging it after every use (commute)??

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A must is to buy a cheap volt meter or wire in a cheap lcd meter to monitor the voltage level off ebay, pointless recharging if battery still reads over 39.5v as it will only do a short part charge. Once a few return journeys have been made then you will have an idea of how often to charge, every other day may be likely but until it is all up and working you won/t know.
The battery has a full charge of 41.5 - 42v and can be discharged down to about 33 or 34v by which time the bms will cut in to protect the battery from a deep discharge , with a volt meter you can see how much is left in the battery.
Although battery will charge to 42v or there about's little capacity is hel between 41 -42v so it go down quite quickly to under 41v.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Digital-Multimeter-Volt-meter-AC-DC-Voltage-Tester-Leads-Set-Circuit-Checker/292799722733?hash=item442c3934ed:m:mXpV_sYk5qE7c47LnVTh0hQ:rk:7:pf:0

Or simply wire one of these in to the + & - batteyr or controller supply.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BATTERY-CAPACITY-TESTER-CHARGING-MONITOR-METER-VOLTAGE-CURRENT-VOLTS-LCD-UK/173498217002?hash=item28654cb22a:g:dj8AAOSwjodZ6Ir6:rk:43:pf:0

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
thanks for that i will pass it along. I know no one can give me figures as each situation has so many variables,but....what sort of distance should she be expecting from this, will it cover the 12 miles of commute do you think?? Again i appreciate everyones time
Just looked at your kit link, you may be charging it every day. The battery might get abit stressed with D/D hub kit. The hub is a heavy direct drive gearless hub the motor at low speed will most likely appear gutless and have litlle torque, so hill climbing might be poor. These types of drive can be quite inefficient on all but flat terrain where they excell going at a constant fast speed, if she can maintain a good speed it will most likely be ok for a slight hill/incline.
You will have to let us know how it performs but often we are not to far wrong.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Might be worth holding off buying that battery and getting one with far better cells for performance but except less ah/wh for a bit more money.

What is the amp rating of the controller ?

ru88erduck2010

Dec 13, 2018
thank you again. I will keep you up to date with it. I've got a multi meter however for the price of the small lcd meter i may as well wire one of those from the battery . I can see this lot is going to get very addictive lol. I appreciate all the help

ru88erduck2010

Dec 13, 2018
ive already bought the battery today. Just looked at the controller and it says 22amp at 750w if that makes sense?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Guys speak up what do you think of this offering, only 374wh but utilises pucker quality Sony VTC5's a great quality 20a cell. It will most likely out perform the no name cell with a D/D hub.
20a continuous discharge, 25a continuous for 10 min & 35a pulse for 5 seconds.
Not often you see these in a ebike battery for sale and on a par and if not a bit better then the 20a Sam 25R and LG HE2.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/harvestmoonglory/m.html?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:MESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
ive already bought the battery today. Just looked at the controller and it says 22amp at 750w if that makes sense?
Ok you will have to suck it and see now, little tech specs on the cells in use so you will have to se if they can supply 22a the controller asks for.

ru88erduck2010

Dec 13, 2018
Hi, received my battery pack today and i seem to have landed ok. The manufacturer is Shenzhen unit pack power. The ebikeschool.com youtube channel talks about them and recommends them. He talks about them in this video

About 3.00 mins in(link should take you there).

Realised it wont fit in the frame lol, so looking at making a frame bag. Probably be the best n cheapest option with out looking bad.......i hope. Will put up pictures when im done

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will have to see how it fairs, on ES there have been some poor builds with the Shenzen UPP packs however that said was in the past. A rep for them say's quality is a lot better and improved now so you should have little to fear, the cells inside will likely not be grate ones but one would have thought your other half should get 12 - 24 months before any capacity decreases.
At 22a max current draw the battery voltage is likely to sag a bit and even cut out when voltage is low but will rebound once the draw is lessened. If cut out/sag does occur you will know at what level and when best to recharge to manage the battery better, is she able to recharge at work ?
Do let us know how it goes esp in several months time as the feed back is handy to gauge the quality and to allow others to make a decison on a cheap battery.