Hello from Newcastle

helecats

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2013
Tyne and Wear
I had never heard of a Pedelec until about 7 weeks ago when I stumbled across this site by accident when googling for 'electric bike' after seeing someone riding one. From the information gained mostly from reading posts on this forum, I managed to fit a used 8fun kit to my specialized rockhopper. I found that 7 years ago when I first bought my rockhopper that by getting out of the car and cycling I discovered places I didn't know existed even though they were virtually on my doorstep. As someone who loves cycling but isn't very fit now I think my conversion is brilliant, I just can't beat the freedom cycling gives me and with the added bonus of electricity I can go for miles. I have written an account of the build with photos and will post it on the forum. Many thanks to the members on this forum for their posts which give me the information and inspiration to build a Pedelec.

Derek

C

Cyclezee

Hi Derek,

A warm welcome to the forum and glad to hear that you enjoying the electric experience.

Just one word of warning though, Funkylyn, a Geordie native will be moving back to her homeland in the not to distant future:eek:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I had never heard of a Pedelec until about 7 weeks ago when I stumbled across this site by accident when googling for 'electric bike' after seeing someone riding one. From the information gained mostly from reading posts on this forum, I managed to fit a used 8fun kit to my specialized rockhopper. I found that 7 years ago when I first bought my rockhopper that by getting out of the car and cycling I discovered places I didn't know existed even though they were virtually on my doorstep. As someone who loves cycling but isn't very fit now I think my conversion is brilliant, I just can't beat the freedom cycling gives me and with the added bonus of electricity I can go for miles. I have written an account of the build with photos and will post it on the forum. Many thanks to the members on this forum for their posts which give me the information and inspiration to build a Pedelec.

Derek
Yes, welcome to the forum Derek, you certainly have a wealth of wonderful cycle paths to explore in the North east.
Lots of forum members up there too.

In fact we are arranging a get together , probably in April, though that is now dependant on my house sale, doing part of the C2C cycle trail, so look out for further info on that in the near future.

Quite a few will be going.....including willin, muckymits, robF......

And yes, I will be up there too ....soon I hope......take no notice of John, he's just a scaremonger......he likes me really ;)

I think hes just p eed off that its not MK I am moving to ROFLOL :D :D

Lynda :)

helecats

Jan 7, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Hello, C2C sounds good, I've done the round trip from Suderland to Consett to Gateshead and back a couple of times, a few years ago but It should be a lot better now with some electrical assistance.

snipenose

Aug 25, 2009
Winlaton Mill near Newcastle
Hello Funklyn,

May I welcome Derek to the fold and wish you a successful house sale too.

Val and I live in Winlaton Mill, almost on the C2C and we both have Raleigh Dover bikes.

We would hopefully be able to join your adventure, we will look for more news here.

I have already met willin and he helped me so much, a big thank you for letting me try your Tonaro.

An E bike ride in Tyneside sounds great.

Snipenose

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Hello, C2C sounds good, I've done the round trip from Suderland to Consett to Gateshead and back a couple of times, a few years ago but It should be a lot better now with some electrical assistance.
Hi.....if you look up the thread " Help from the East " on about page 5 of the main forum you can read all the details.

That is some ride you did unassisted ...... :cool:

snipenose

Aug 25, 2009
Winlaton Mill near Newcastle
Hello helecats,

Have you ventured onto the C2C past Consett? onto the Waskerley Way. it is 10 miles of steady climbing with an oasis at the top, that is Parkhead Station cafe. A wonderful descent with panoramic views coming back.

Good Luck and welcome

snipenose

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Hello Funklyn,

May I welcome Derek to the fold and wish you a successful house sale too.

Val and I live in Winlaton Mill, almost on the C2C and we both have Raleigh Dover bikes.

We would hopefully be able to join your adventure, we will look for more news here.

I have already met willin and he helped me so much, a big thank you for letting me try your Tonaro.

An E bike ride in Tyneside sounds great.

Snipenose
Fantastic......and thankyou......my fingers are well crossed for a quick move up :).....you and Val will be more than welcome so as I said to Derek....look up the "help from the East" thread and you can get up to speed so far, although I think the date might have to change but I am sure if we all chat about it nearer to the time we can agree on a date mutually acceptable to everyone.
Looks like it will turn into a good meet :)

Maybe we can then hopefully make it a more regular thing.....well, in half decent weather ;)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Hello helecats,

Have you ventured onto the C2C past Consett? onto the Waskerley Way. it is 10 miles of steady climbing with an oasis at the top, that is Parkhead Station cafe. A wonderful descent with panoramic views coming back.

Good Luck and welcome

snipenose
HAH....lol.....thats where we are going .....setting off from the campsite where I will be camping :D

helecats

Jan 7, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Hello, this looks like an excellent ride past consett, I've just had a look on the map, although my battery won't get me anywhere near that far. Although now having got the e-bike 'bug' I'm tempted to buy a proper bike instead of my conversion. I am thinking about a KTM Macina race.

helecats

Jan 7, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Hi.....if you look up the thread " Help from the East " on about page 5 of the main forum you can read all the details.

That is some ride you did unassisted ...... :cool:

Hi Lynda

My round trip was 51 miles if I remember correctly, I couldn't walk properly for over a week! That was 4 years ago. I didn't think I would be able to do it again, but with my new found energy (electrical) I my try it again. Actually it's not too bad as it's uphill to Consett but then it's downhill all the way to Gateshead freewheeling most of the way for about 15 miles.

Derek

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Hi Derek....it was the uphill bit to Consett that was making me hyperventilate lol

Its great how much fun this new found electrical energy is isnt it :D

I dont know whether you have discovered

CycleCharge | Charge on the move

yet, but we are always looking for more charge points, perhaps as you get around you could find some in your area ?

Give you are good reason to get out and about exploring more ;)

helecats

Jan 7, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Hi, one of my favourite trips is from Boldon to Jarrowthrough the Tyne pedestrian Tunnel then to North Shields then across the ferryto South Shields up the coast to Whitburn and back to Boldon about 25 miles.

Derek

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Hi Derek,

I did South Shields to Gateshead with my brother dennis , over the Millenium bridge then along the north Tyne and back through the Pedestrian tunnel ......that was so great, the last time I had been in the tunnel was as a sixteen year old, I actually whooped my way thru (no shame lol ) then back to Shields.
Next day we went over on the ferry to N shields then up the coast thru Whitley Bay then further up and cut across some fields and back down the route of an old railway.....I cant wait to get back to Shields for all the fantastic traffic free routes, its very impressive :D

Along the coast to the Marina at Sunderland was lovely too.

Dont tell me you live in Boldon ?......I am house hunting around Simonside/Boldon/Whitburn etc.....small world ...... I am "living" on Rightmove at the moment lol

helecats

Jan 7, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Hi Lynda, Your right I live in Boldon, been there for 20 years. Originally from South Shields. My other interest is sailing, not so much now, spent a lot of time in the north sea, and South Shields Harbour! Also buggying with a kite on the beaches and the Lees, but packing that in, because I got dragged in the air last year and dumped hard on the ground and injured.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Well at least we have Shields and e bikes in common......think I will leave you the "joys" of kite buggying and sailing :p

Though I was known for galloping along the Leas and down the steps at Marsden rock on horseback when I was young and daft.......

Give me the open road and a motorhome now any day lol