Hello from Norwich

Simo

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2015
Hello, I'm Simon. I have enjoyed reading all the various threads on here for the last few months. I am intending to get out on a bike since I am lacking any physical exercise at all, age 54 weigh 13.5 stone and am seriously considering a pedelec to do the odd commute to work (14 miles return), in the near future, also to get out and about in the fresh air. I live in Norfolk which although it has a reputation of being flat isn't really!, well we have long steep slopes lets say which go on and on, two of which I have on my work route. Even if I commute once a week I will be happy that I might shift a few pounds and in summer or better weather will be able to get out and about.
I must have read nearly all the threads on here and fully appreciate the depth of knowledge and advice shared by the established members and would like to offer my thanks for sharing so much hard earned expertise to us new interested members. I will post a question or two in other sections. Regards.

Norfolk Mike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 5, 2015
Marsham, Norfolk
Hello, I'm Simon. I have enjoyed reading all the various threads on here for the last few months. I am intending to get out on a bike since I am lacking any physical exercise at all, age 54 weigh 13.5 stone and am seriously considering a pedelec to do the odd commute to work (14 miles return), in the near future, also to get out and about in the fresh air. I live in Norfolk which although it has a reputation of being flat isn't really!, well we have long steep slopes lets say which go on and on, two of which I have on my work route. Even if I commute once a week I will be happy that I might shift a few pounds and in summer or better weather will be able to get out and about.
I must have read nearly all the threads on here and fully appreciate the depth of knowledge and advice shared by the established members and would like to offer my thanks for sharing so much hard earned expertise to us new interested members. I will post a question or two in other sections. Regards.
Hi Simon
I live near Aylsham. Bought a Freego Eagle about 8 weeks ago. So far done 500 miles.
You will lose weight and get fitter with a pedelec as you still need to peddle. I do find I can travel further than I used to on my old sub £200 mountain bike. Head winds and hills are also a LOT easier.
I bought my bike from Electrifying cycles in Cromer. They are very helpful and are happy for you to have a test ride.
If you want to ask any questions get in touch.

Simo

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2015
Hi Mike, good to know thanks, you have done well! Hope to catch you up soon lol, hope to be on the road in a couple of weeks. Regards

Simo

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2015
Just an update, I got a Pro Connect 9, Been out the last week doing the "run the battery flat first time sessions", really enjoying the bike just what I wanted thanks to reading all the posts on here so thanks to all.
I was wondering how I would get on with the smaller battery 11ah option but to be fair I have done so far 46 miles and still have one battery bar left so thats good news, guess its an advantage of being in Norfolk! and being economic with how much power I use. I am happy that it might even see me through the week to work etc.
Still sticking to country roads to gain confidence and learn the handling before I venture onto the streets proper, not been on a bike for 40 odd years but with the nice weather on the way I hope to get in a good few commuting trips.
Regards.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Enjoy your rides Simo. I was similar in not having cycled for many years (having previously done so a lot), though I was more overweight when I began.

I found I needed to cycle at least 3 times a week to lose enough weight; though very quickly I was cycling every day if I could as the joy of cycling was back in my life. Like you I have a long slow slope that seems never ending (as well as lots of intermittent hills) and I wouldn't swap the electric for anything around here. You'll soon be commuting everyday. My only problem was the 'back in the seat sore bum' that did go away and only returns if I haven't cycled all winter.

The biggest problem was (is) being a fair weather cyclist. I'd lose weight, get fit just in time for colder weather when I'd stop cycling to work. I've realised I need to do cycling indoors in the winter to keep it up - else you end up back at square one for the following Spring.

Good luck and keep up posted.

Simo

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2015
Enjoy your rides Simo. I was similar in not having cycled for many years (having previously done so a lot), though I was more overweight when I began.

I found I needed to cycle at least 3 times a week to lose enough weight; though very quickly I was cycling every day if I could as the joy of cycling was back in my life. Like you I have a long slow slope that seems never ending (as well as lots of intermittent hills) and I wouldn't swap the electric for anything around here. You'll soon be commuting everyday. My only problem was the 'back in the seat sore bum' that did go away and only returns if I haven't cycled all winter.

The biggest problem was (is) being a fair weather cyclist. I'd lose weight, get fit just in time for colder weather when I'd stop cycling to work. I've realised I need to do cycling indoors in the winter to keep it up - else you end up back at square one for the following Spring.

Good luck and keep up posted.
Hi pennyfarthing thanks for the encouragement, I have done enough training rides and I think I,m ready for my first commuting run tomorrow! Its such lovely weather at the moment and its only about 7 miles each way. I guess after the first day I will feel much better about traffic etc. Will let you know how it goes lol.
Regards.

Reactions: PennyFarthing

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Hi pennyfarthing thanks for the encouragement, I have done enough training rides and I think I,m ready for my first commuting run tomorrow! Its such lovely weather at the moment and its only about 7 miles each way. I guess after the first day I will feel much better about traffic etc. Will let you know how it goes lol.
Regards.
Hope its enjoyable. I found in the end I needed to add a mirror so I could see what and how big the enormous sounding noise that was rapidly approaching from behind was. Helps me make decisions quicker. Its the idiots on their mobile phones/sat navs who aren't paying attention to the road that scare me. Make yourself very very visible.

Good luck - I look foreward to hearing how you get on.
Penny

Simo

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2015
Hope its enjoyable. I found in the end I needed to add a mirror so I could see what and how big the enormous sounding noise that was rapidly approaching from behind was. Helps me make decisions quicker. Its the idiots on their mobile phones/sat navs who aren't paying attention to the road that scare me. Make yourself very very visible.

Good luck - I look foreward to hearing how you get on.
Penny
Hiya Penny, I have completed two commutes this week 12 miles each one, all gone well so far, agree could get a mirror soon its a bit unnerving hearing a vehicle behind you I agree!
Regards.