Hello from Shetland

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
Hi Folks

I live in one of the windiest parts of the country and am looking at e-bikes as I don't get out as much as I would like to on any of my bikes. My commute to work is 17 miles each way so a cycle trip in and back is a rare thing as it takes me too long to recover. I am in my early fifties, 30 pounds overweight and powered by pies.

My favourite bike is my Thorn tourer, so I am looking at e-bikes that are similar, i.e good quality and diamond-framed. So far I have only researched (and have found suitable) Kalkhoff hub geared bikes. I don't like derailleur gears.

Thanks in advance for any help that you may offer me to any questions that I ask.

Andy

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Evening Andy,
Welcome to the asylum :confused:

I'd offer you a test-ride on one of my ebikes...

But you'd need a week's holiday - I'm in Cornwall :)

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
It's 14 hours by ferry to Aberdeen, so I might need a fortnight!

Reactions: jackhandy

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Hi Folks

So far I have only researched (and have found suitable) Kalkhoff hub geared bikes. I don't like derailleur gears.

Get one like mine, and an extra battery if you need the range. Should be good for 40 miles though.

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
Two years on and I am back again, still not having bought an ebike. I have kept looking at them, following the ebike "scene". What was putting me off buying an ebike was that my colleagues were getting their sub-£1,000 bikes through the Cycle to Work scheme discounted by 30%+, but as I was looking for something of higher quality and therefore more expense, I was excluded from C2W by the £1,000 price ceiling.

Other than a ride from Shetland to Sussex that was aborted early due to boredom as much as anything, I haven't ridden any decent distances on my bikes. What has cheered me up though is seeing the normally pig-ugly ebikes becoming better looking, especially in the case of the integrated bikes like the Stromer range. Being a public servant, who has seen his salary go down in the both of the last two years due to pension and NI changes, I am not in the Stromer league, but I was intrigued by the Kalkhoff Integrale 8. The price (£3,000) was still enough to make me cough, but yesterday I came across ProC2W, which ignores the £1,000 C2W ceiling. This would bring the price down to £2,040 plus residual value. This is much more acceptable.

I have fired off a couple of emails, the first to the head beancounter asking if he will stump up the cash for the bike, my payment being by salary sacrifice. The other email to 50 Cycles expressing my interest in the Integrale 8 if I can buy through this scheme.

OK, warranty might be a bit of an issue, but it would be no matter whose bike I bought. I have just got to hope that the Kalkhoff lives up to its name in terms of quality and reliability. There will also be a marginal effect on my pension by buying the bike this way, but as male relations don't make old bones in my family, it is something that I will concern myself with at a later date. There are still the beancounter and 50 Cycles hurdles to leap yet so I won't count my chickens yet.

Andy

Viv4

Just Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Fit a Cyclotricity front hub kit to your Thorn, I have one on my Raven Tour, it's magic!

• Agree
Reactions: OldBob1

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
Nooooooo! It's supposed to be a long distance tourer. I was tempted to get an ARCC kit fitted to one of the Moultons, but about £1,800 seemed a bit much, although I hear that the ARCC kit is of the highest quality.

Viv4

Just Joined
Mar 18, 2016
It is long distance, 75 miles in 1 assist and remember to take the charger! Seriously though, my Raven is way too nice a bike to leave at home and with the motor I have a bespoke ebike. Replaces my car for lots of journeys now.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Templogin, if you like the look of Stromer bikes I'd be interested in your feedback about our latest bike due in shops during August - so I can't sell you one. But I'd value your opinion... (I'm thick skinned and prefer constructive criticism, especially with a new bike)
First picture here.

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
It's a hell of a lot prettier than some of your bikes, and gets away from having the battery hanging behind the seat tube, therefore adding to the length of the bike. The square section battery tube is overly square (brutal) and could do with some breaking up of the lines - look at the Kalkhoff Integrale 8 to see how they have added a curve to their tube and to a certain extent to the graphic. Not sure about the high step-thru, but the design of that part is interesting. I just prefer diamond frames, but the colour is attractively subtle. The rake on the forks looks odd. I bet the steering is slow. If that is suspension built in at the front then I much prefer that to normal suss forks. Much more efficient. I prefer 26" wheels, but I realise that I am a lone voice in the wilderness here, and that I will have to get used to 28". Not sure about the need for the wheel reflectors when the tyres look as though they have reflective stripes. Hurrah for mudguards - every bike should have them! And a mudflap! The stem looks really long. Is that a large frame? It looks like I would be miles away from the bars. I would usually take a medium frame. I would probably put my own saddle and pedals on, but from what little I can see, those pedal might be OK. Are they like DMR V8s, i.e. flat with jutting bits that grip your soles? Rack looks interesting. If it could carry 15kg, (my normal limit), it would be very useful . Stands are very useful although I prefer a single legged one. Does it attach to a specific boss or is it crushing the frame? Derailleur gears are the work of the devil. For people like me, (lazy people), hub gears are the only option. Enclosed chains are too rarely fitted to bikes these days, and yours doesn't buck that trend. It would be interesting to know the battery spec is.

Andy

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
Reporting back on the progress towards e-bike ownership. The bean counter doesn't seem completely against the idea of getting a £3,000 bike through ProC2W, but wants to see more people interested otherwise it's not worth the effort for one person apparently. There would be nothing to say that my colleagues would have to go for electric bikes of course. I have asked one of my colleagues if they would consider doing some in company promotion for this.

There are a few cyclists up here in Shetland, but I am sure that there would be many more if they went electric. Uptake on normal bikes under C2W was not great. As has been said before, it's a bit hilly here, but not outrageously so. The killer is the wind. A thumb in the air guess I reckon would give you an average of 12-18mph winds most days.

No response to my message through their web page from 50 Cycles as yet, but I didn't see their name in the list of suppliers on the ProC2W site, so they may not be interested.

Andy

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
It's a hell of a lot prettier than some of your bikes, and gets away from having the battery hanging behind the seat tube, therefore adding to the length of the bike. The square section battery tube is overly square (brutal) and could do with some breaking up of the lines - look at the Kalkhoff Integrale 8 to see how they have added a curve to their tube and to a certain extent to the graphic. Not sure about the high step-thru, but the design of that part is interesting. I just prefer diamond frames, but the colour is attractively subtle. The rake on the forks looks odd. I bet the steering is slow. If that is suspension built in at the front then I much prefer that to normal suss forks. Much more efficient. I prefer 26" wheels, but I realise that I am a lone voice in the wilderness here, and that I will have to get used to 28". Not sure about the need for the wheel reflectors when the tyres look as though they have reflective stripes. Hurrah for mudguards - every bike should have them! And a mudflap! The stem looks really long. Is that a large frame? It looks like I would be miles away from the bars. I would usually take a medium frame. I would probably put my own saddle and pedals on, but from what little I can see, those pedal might be OK. Are they like DMR V8s, i.e. flat with jutting bits that grip your soles? Rack looks interesting. If it could carry 15kg, (my normal limit), it would be very useful . Stands are very useful although I prefer a single legged one. Does it attach to a specific boss or is it crushing the frame? Derailleur gears are the work of the devil. For people like me, (lazy people), hub gears are the only option. Enclosed chains are too rarely fitted to bikes these days, and yours doesn't buck that trend. It would be interesting to know the battery spec is.

Andy
That's all useful feedback Andy, thanks very much for taking the time.

I wont try to justify anything - beauty - eye - beholder, and all that - but I will answer your questions...

I find the steering good - quite responsive given the rake.
Suspension is built in.
The quick adjust handlebars are set forward in that picture, which also shows the frame before we tweaked it down to 18".
Pedals are the same flat wide grippy metal which we now use on our Sport bike, good for normal, everyday shoes.
The rack will carry 25kgs and a side stand is used on the finished bikes (attached to a boss, not the frame).
Hub gears or hub motors? Perhaps compromise is the will of the devil! The motor is so good though - quiet, small and powerful.
Chain guard - good idea!
Battery is Panasonic in 10.5 or 13.5 ah options.

Truly appreciated Andy. Thanks again.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I don't like where they put the light but with your pack of öl on the front rack not many options...

Trex a good frame for inspiring your Chinese friends!

Templogin

Pedelecer
May 15, 2014
Hi Andy, welcome back to the community.
This is quite new, designed in Sweden, a commuter bike with electric hub gear changing
It looks robust but fairly pricey but then again if it lasts a long time......:
http://electric-bike-store.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/5252
That looks reasonable. Nice frame. I like the front rack. Not sure that electric shifting is necessary as I have been managing to shift my own gears for many years now. External battery though - bleurgh!