Hello from total newbie!

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Hello, just joined the forum after a while browsing and reading the wealth of info here. I'm new to the word of electric bikes but learning lots - thank you all!

I live in hilly Hadrian's Wall country - it's beautiful but not that conducive to conventional cycling for the unfit. I have a couple of keen cycling neighbour-friends but their fitness levels are a bit intimidating!

Reactions: LeighPing and yaffa

six9giant

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2016
Maryport, Cumbria
Hello, just joined the forum after a while browsing and reading the wealth of info here. I'm new to the word of electric bikes but learning lots - thank you all!

I live in hilly Hadrian's Wall country - it's beautiful but not that conducive to conventional cycling for the unfit. I have a couple of keen cycling neighbour-friends but their fitness levels are a bit intimidating!
Hi,
Welcome to the community, I'm not far from you, maybe on the opposite coast in Maryport, hope many fellow members can help you with your quest into the electric bike scene.
Bryan

• Agree

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi AN
Don't be intimidated - be inspired!
Lot's of clubs now are happy to include e-biking friends into their midst. They understand that ebikes widen participation and that all cyclists are good, decent people. Welcome.

• Agree

wightrider

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2015
Welcome aboard ;)

yaffa

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
Kent
Good luck in your search. There are so many to pick from.
I discovered that reading about the bikes is no substitute for trying them out, it's fun!
Let us know what you choose.
Wish I lived somewhere as rugged as you!

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'm trying to avoid my usual headlong rush of enthusiasm into something new and actually take a bit more time to look into and think about this before committing myself.

Kent may not be as rugged as Northumberland Yaffa but I'm sure it has its advantages (a short hop over to France comes to mind!)

Reactions: yaffa

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Winlaton Mill 6 miles from Newcastle
Hello Angelnorth,

I live in Winlaton Mill near Blaydon. Electric bikes are life changing, so many car journeys can be replaced by cycling now. I have a Kalkhoff Impulse belt drive, a Raleigh Dover (both crank drive) and a Freego Hawk hub motor. You are welcome to come down and try them sometime.

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
That's quite a collection you have going on there Stephen! Do you use each for a different purpose or just as the mood takes you? Thank you for your very kind offer, I'll be sure to shout if I'm in a position to take you up on it.

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
That's quite a collection you have going on there Stephen! Do you use each for a different purpose or just as the mood takes you? Thank you for your very kind offer, I'll be sure to shout if I'm in a position to take you up on it.
Well this is a long story. I was very fit and active until 1992, when I caught flu bug. I never recovered and instead became chronically ill and eventually I was diagnosed with ME (Myalgic Encephalopathy).

Walking and standing, were very limited and I suffered utter exhaustion from the most trivial tasks. Cycling was impossible.

After 14 years I began to make recovery and electric bikes allowed me to cycle again, with limits on distance due to health ups and downs.

Yes I tend to choose the bike for how I am feeling and the terrain.

On flat rides when I feel unable to put in much effort, the Freego (hub
motor) is fantastic, as long as I TURN the pedals, it whizzes along. This still gets me into the fresh air and is much more enjoyable then driving. I avoid traffic jams too and have no parking to worry about. I am not contributing to the 29,000 premature deaths a year in England caused by particulate emissions from cars either.

In better spells the Raleigh with Panasonic crank drive and the Kalkhoff with Impulse crank drive come out. I definately have to put more effort in but on steeper hills these bikes excel.

The offer remains open.

Happy cycling.

Steve Gray

Reactions: JuicyBike

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Oh, ME's a <insert insult of choice here>. At least it's being taken seriously as a real illness more widely these days rather than people automatically being written off as weird malingerers which seemed to be the case for far too long. I have an online buddy who has ME and lives in fear of having an assessment (of disability) by somebody who really doesn't "get it". It sounds like you're doing OK managing the condition - long may that continue.

I guess I'm starting from a slightly similar point. I have MS and my walking range is limited to about 20 minutes at the moment. There are only so many times you can walk 10 minutes to the end of the lane and 10 minutes back, however lovely the view is! I'm thinking that even if I can only manage a couple of miles on a bike to start off with at least it would give me a few more options and get me out of the house doing something a bit active.

Work's gone a bit crazy at the moment so I haven't got much further (other than having half a dozen tabs open on my web browser with things to think about!). Thanks for your input on hub vs crank and the situations you choose each for - that's helpful.

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Oh, ME's a <insert insult of choice here>. At least it's being taken seriously as a real illness more widely these days rather than people automatically being written off as weird malingerers which seemed to be the case for far too long. I have an online buddy who has ME and lives in fear of having an assessment (of disability) by somebody who really doesn't "get it". It sounds like you're doing OK managing the condition - long may that continue.

I guess I'm starting from a slightly similar point. I have MS and my walking range is limited to about 20 minutes at the moment. There are only so many times you can walk 10 minutes to the end of the lane and 10 minutes back, however lovely the view is! I'm thinking that even if I can only manage a couple of miles on a bike to start off with at least it would give me a few more options and get me out of the house doing something a bit active.

Work's gone a bit crazy at the moment so I haven't got much further (other than having half a dozen tabs open on my web browser with things to think about!). Thanks for your input on hub vs crank and the situations you choose each for - that's helpful.

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Well there are still lots of Doctors and Consultants who really know very little about ME. We have all heard the expression "A little knowledge is dangerous".

Of course MS was treated very badly by the medical profession, until science proved it was a real physical condition too. Going further back Tuberculosis the same, get my drift ?

Anyway, I agree that when your physical endurance is limited, it pays to enjoy the limited activity as much as you can. In my life pedelecs have without doubt made this a reality.

I will soon buy the Dahon Jetstream listed in the classifieds here. A quality folding bike with electric assist. If you drive and can afford it, a good folding bike with electric assist could open up the world. Also possible to use the Tyne Valley Railway for perhaps one way rides.

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Well there are still lots of Doctors and Consultants who really know very little about ME...

I will soon buy the Dahon Jetstream listed in the classifieds here. A quality folding bike with electric assist. If you drive and can afford it, a good folding bike with electric assist could open up the world. Also possible to use the Tyne Valley Railway for perhaps one way rides.
I guess with all health issues, getting the right medical staff is crucial - I've been pretty lucky in that regard. Having somebody who knows what they're doing when there's a lumbar puncture needle involved feels pretty necessary!

Funnily enough it was my dad buying a folding e-bike that set me off thinking about this whole thing. Hope you find yours a fun addition to the stable.

I'm rubbish at remembering to take pics, Cyberdyne but I'll try!

Reactions: cyberdyne_systems