Hello, Wisper 905se city owner here.

douglasrthomson

Just Joined
Oct 4, 2014
Hi there, I've come here for a bit of advice as I'm looking for a new ebike and I have me eye on a Kalkhoff Pro Connect Xion X24. I'm very happy with my Wisper and I like the hub drive. My only issue is that the frame size is a bit small for me. Looking at the Kalkhoff, it looks like it comes in a variety of frame sizes. My question is, does anyone here have experience of both bikes? Are they comparable machines? Will I regret getting rid of the Wisper?

A bit of background. I client of mine was looking to start manufacturing ebikes and I did some branding work for him. I had a go on one of his test bikes and I was hooked. Eventually he ceased the project due to production difficulties so I purchased the Wisper. It has been 'de-restricted' which in practical terms means I get a couple more mph out of the bike. This is fast enough for me. I ride motorbikes and I'm not looking to get motorbike speeds out of an ebike.

I use the bike for leisure, not for commuting.

I'll pop down to 50cycles at some point for a test ride but I thought I'd ask the community here for your thoughts.
Cheers
Dougie

D

Deleted member 4366

I think one or two forum members had trouble with their Xion Kalkhoffs. If you decide to test one, make sure you test its free-wheeling capabilities, and try pedalling it without power.

There's loads of nice bikes with hub-motors now, but if derestriction is important for you, check that out first. Also Kalkhoffs don't have throttles. You didn't say whether that's important.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Both are good bikes. 50Cycles no longer sell the Pro Connect Xion motored bikes but might still have one or two left. They did have one X24 in Bristol in medium size if it's still there. I would check before visiting.

Wisper have new bikes out next year but they are pre-production right now and weren't available for testing last week at the Cycle Show. They looked good and seemed well specced.

I would say the Pro Connect had a bit more power and was definitely quieter than the current Wisper bikes.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Douglas....how about the KTM e-race P.....it has the powerful Panasonic hub drive,comes fully equipped and available in 56 and 60 cm frame sizes,about £2100. I think the London Electric Bike Company of Hampton Wick has one in stock,price about £2100,just down road from 50 cycles.
Or our Kudos Typhoon or Escape 29ers,big bikes and hub drive,option pack has lights and mudguards,£1195 and £1395.Both can be de restricted,legal considerations.
Good luck
KudosDave

douglasrthomson

Just Joined
Oct 4, 2014
Hi Kudos cycles. Funnily enough, I have been looking at the KTM erace online and I think I'm going to take one for a test ride. I said in my earlier post that I'm happy with hub drives however I should try a crank just to see what I think. I don't mind pedalling however I'm aware that (generally) costs are less catastrophic if there's a major failure with a hub - compared to crank.
Cheers

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
The KTM eRACE P is fitted with Panasonic's hub drive. The KTM Macina Race is the same thing but fitted with Bosch's crank drive.

Michael

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm aware that (generally) costs are less catastrophic if there's a major failure with a hub - compared to crank.
Cheers
I doubt that's true for the KTM. A Chinese hub-motor can be bought from anywhere, but a replacement motor for a KTM will have to come from only KTM. Ask them how much a replacement motor costs and let us know so that we can have a laugh.

robert44

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2008
BS23
I doubt that's true for the KTM. A Chinese hub-motor can be bought from anywhere, but a replacement motor for a KTM will have to come from only KTM. Ask them how much a replacement motor costs and let us know so that we can have a laugh.
I was interested in an eRace P until I was told a replacement battery was "probably about £750" !!

C

Cyclezee

I was interested in an eRace P until I was told a replacement battery was "probably about £750" !!
Hmm interesting, the Heinzmann downtube battery has 60% more capacity and is over £200 cheaper:)
Heinzmann Atlas eMB
E-Bike-HEINZMANN_Mountainbike-ATLAS_freig_HD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Not mocking other ebike users, are you d8veh? :) I know what you mean - why are Bosch and Panasonic so expensive compared to home-builds? I wonder if they will come down in price over time as they become more mainstream?

Michael

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As with most things you pay a large premium just for the name.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Most of the new ones come with a larger battery about 562wh. Prices from just over £2000. One of my favourite systems. Will check cost of batteries, as I agree that seems like alot not far off BionX prices which are around £1000. Just checked price for 2014 batteries is about £420 according to B2B site. Will find out cost of larger 2015 battery.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi Kudos cycles. Funnily enough, I have been looking at the KTM erace online and I think I'm going to take one for a test ride. I said in my earlier post that I'm happy with hub drives however I should try a crank just to see what I think. I don't mind pedalling however I'm aware that (generally) costs are less catastrophic if there's a major failure with a hub - compared to crank.
Cheers
Hi,a replacement hub motor for either the Kudos Escape and Typhoon is £120.00 and £100.00 respectively,that price includes rim and spokes,fully laced in.All our replacement batteries are priced between £165.00 and £250.00,the water bottle style battery on the Escape and Typhoon are £198.00.
regards
KudosDave

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
We have some of the 2015 bikes in stock now, the Pro Connect Impulse 2.0 9-speed, the 10-speed as well as Pro Connect Alfine 8G.

The 9-speed is only £1795. Looks nice in matt black with red highlights and disk brakes

It's basically the replacement for the Pro Connect X24. We have a couple of these in Hampton Wick already.

The 10-speed comes with the 612Wh battery, same as the Pro Connect Alfine 8, but the 8 has Magura rim brakes not the disks.