Hello!

ajh2001

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
West Kent. TN9
I can't remember how I stumbled across this place but it's been so useful!!

I used to love cycling, my youngest and my husband still do! So I recently hired a Freego Hawk for a few days and had a whale of a time. I have fibromyalgia which as some of you I believe know causes quite a bit of pain and fatigue - on a good day anyway! and thought my cycling days were over. So I was delighted to discover electric bikes!

My husband, seeing the difference it made to me to be able to join them has said I can have one for Christmas!!!! (Once he thought it was his idea anyway!!!)

Initially I was thinking of something of a similar style to the Freego hawk, but tbh I don't find them particularly attractive and I still love my hybrid, though I find it difficult to get on and off of now. So I'm looking at converting a step through hybrid type of bike. We often use a bike rack and in order to stay within weight limits and to remain stable from side to side, I was thinking of a front wheel motor and rear battery, removing the battery and swapping the front wheel over for a non electric one so the weight is the same as a 'normal' bike. Is this a reasonable idea?

Angela

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Not a very good idea, Angela. Front motor needs to be secured to the front fork. You will need a spanner to undo the front wheel nuts if you want to remove it. Repeatedly connect and disconnect the motor cable does not do the motor cable much good.
Don't worry about weight distribution if you carry your bikes on a triple rack. The bike's weight is spread out along the rail, the position of the motor does not matter much.
If weight is a problem, a folder may save little bit on weight.

ajh2001

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
West Kent. TN9
Thanks for that Trex, I did wonder if it was a wise idea and was hoping someone with more knowledge would comment!

Before I start looking for a bike to convert in the many sales that are going on, a question about gears! The bike I hired had 7 gears I think, and they were more than adequate for me. However on my non electric hybrid I often use quite a few of my 18 gears. Can I convert a bike with more than 6/7 gears? Is there any advantage to that if it's possible or should I stick to fewer gears in the donor bike?

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
have a look at Woosh bikes. You may find something there to suit. Very reasonably priced

gray

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
T

The bike I hired had 7 gears I think, and they were more than adequate for me. However on my non electric hybrid I often use quite a few of my 18 gears. Can I convert a bike with more than 6/7 gears? Is there any advantage to that if it's possible or should I stick to fewer gears in the donor bike?
With e-bikes, you can select the gear you feel most comfortable with, likely 5th or 6th out of the 7-speed gearing and keep pedalling in that gear, putting in as much (or as little) effort as you want and keep your cadence steady. You can go like that all day long. The motor makes up the rest. That's why there is no advantage in keeping the front derailleur after you have converted.

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Angela,
You don't say what terrain you will be riding. I cycle in hilly west Wales on a 7 gear converted hybrid. I spend most time between 3rd and 5th gears using power setting 2 out of 5. However I'm currently working on converting a Carrera hybrid. This came with 24 gears, but I have removed the smallest front ring, leaving me 16 gears. I'm hoping this spread will help when my knees are having a dodgy day. My kit is an Ezee front hub and is well powerful, tackling the steepest (with work) that Wales can throw at it.

It sounds like your condition may, at times, leave you with low energy. So I would say, whatever you choose, make sure it has a full speed throttle capability so you can get home. I believe legislation is changing in 2016 and these will be much harder to get.

ajh2001

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
West Kent. TN9
Thankyou for your replies! Yes a throttle is a must, which is why I'm trying to decide on which route to go as soon as I can!

If we stick with a ready made bike, yes Woosh bikes are on the list! But I prefer the styling of a hybrid - larger wheels and battery on rack/frame and was also hoping to have a slightly lighter bike if possible. Though weight isn't the be all and end all.

Terrain will vary - from the Downs around here, to towpaths, and whatever we find when we start holidaying abroad more now the boys are that bit older!!!

If anyone can wave a magic wand and help me decide between ready made and kit conversion it would be fab!!!!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
would you mind telling us your height/weight and which bike you ride at the moment?

ajh2001

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
West Kent. TN9
Height, 5'6", weight - too much!!! 70-75kg.

Current experience of ebike - Freego hawk, and a very old Giant suede.
Current non electric bike an 18spd giant hybrid - I forget the name! But v lightweight!

ajh2001

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
West Kent. TN9
Yes, but no front suspension.

Prefer the low step frames, but that could be because I've been riding low step frames more recently. So was thinking of getting something like this:
http://www.viking-bikes.com/products/Trekking/6516-Keswick.html

But if I ride my hybrid a bit more for a while maybe that would help me to get back into the habit of riding that style, as it's really only getting on and off that's different. Problem is I'm itching to get going, and I overdid it cycling on Sunday and then again this morning - what used to take me a day or so to recover from, can now take a week or more!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
May be your body is telling you to start riding a bike with suspension!

ajh2001

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
West Kent. TN9
If only it were that simple! I do have a saddle with springs on a seatpost with suspension though!!

Thanks for your help Trex, hopefully I'll make a decision soon.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I don't know much about your condition I'm afraid but I'm guessing jarring and bumps affect it ?

I would seriously consider getting suspension forks and a suspension seat post like the suntour nxc. This is far superior to saddle springs. Even just forks will make a huge impact to your comfort.

The next key thing for com fort is tires- bigger = more air = more comfortable.

Finally do you have much electrical or bike diy experience ?

Only, if no, then maybe a whole bike with a uk guarantee is worthwhile.

Whilst your bike is much loved mAybe your body would really appreciate suspension !

In which case a nice new bike with front suspension forks and a uk gauranteee seems order of the day.

Woosh, juicy, kudos, ezee are just a few solid uk companies to have a look at

Cheers
Kirstin

ajh2001

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
West Kent. TN9
I must admit I do find the suspension in the seatpost combined with a comfortable seat does make a big difference, but haven't found front suspension makes that much difference, not that I wouldrefuse it, what does help is a more upright riding position. The pain side of my fibromyalgia is usually controlled by medication - on bad days I wouldn't even consider riding a bicycle, it's the lack of stamina and fatigue that I find hard (I used to swim a mile twice a week in a pretty quick time, did high impact aerobics three times a week and walked for miles, now I am shattered after two lengths and the idea of an aerobics class wears me out, which frustrates me making me feel even worse) So the freedom that an electric bicycle will give back to me is difficult to explain!

As for bike/diy experience I have always been a daddy's girl (with a particularly practical dad!) and as such have always been making things/taking things apart/repairing things, I like to know how things work! So I would be more than happy/able to use a kit - it's the decision making bit - kit or bike that I am struggling with!!! Especially as I want to get out on a bike NOW!!!

ajh2001

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
West Kent. TN9
Thought I ought to try some more bikes before deciding whether to buy or convert. Are they all so noisy?

Until now I've ridden a Giant suede and Freego Hawk, yes, very different but both quiet, so I wasn't expecting the noise made by the ones I tried today. The cycloricity sahara being the noisiest (also the cheapest - is that why?!), an Oxygen diva and a RooDog Polka.

At least I've decided one thing - I want twist throttle not thumb trigger type.

Noise aside if we go for a ready built bike I think I need to up the budget or look for a decent secondhand one.

Are any kits noisier/quieter than others?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
kits are about as noisy as ready made bikes. If you want low noise, look out for two things: 'sine wave controller' and crank drive. The quietest combination is sine wave and direct drive but they are not good on hills, heavy and consume too much battery power. Out of the popular bikes, bikes with the Bosch motor are about best on noise and good on hills. Crank drive kits like the 8-Fun BBS01/BBS02/GSM are also quiet for they are fitted with sine wave controllers.

Last edited: