Hello

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Bit like having a Ferrari when a fiesta will do the legal limit comfortabley, there's probably not a car sold today that can't do over 100mph but the speed limit is 70mph, I'll bet every driver has broken the speed limit at some point? And as for trying to put having a bigger motor than the law allows in the same bracket as drink driving..............?????? Don't think you can. Anyhow back on track do you think the 500w motor will suit my needs, cheers
If it's a moped which a 500watt bike is classed as you can have the book thrown at you. This could include drunk driving if you have had a drink before cycling, as some use the bike for pub runs!
The 500 watt is effectively little different from the legal kits.
Just the **** you can end up in is mucho larger.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the pub dont sell Special brew tho 8 cans n turbo time 30mph straight past the police station ;)

• :D

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
After a wee bit of research the direct drive hub motor seems to be the most reliable, quietest and cheapest, it is the heaviest and has less torque but after looking at a few videos on YouTube they seem to perform ok and look like a good option for someone on a budget (me) only thing I can see with the EBC kits is the amount of wiring that gets rolled up and put into the bag beside the controller, think that might annoy me and ad need to get the soldering iron out! Think I seen a kit with less connections/wiring somewhere but was quite a bit more expensive.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
After a wee bit of research the direct drive hub motor seems to be the most reliable, quietest and cheapest, it is the heaviest and has less torque but after looking at a few videos on YouTube they seem to perform ok and look like a good option for someone on a budget (me) only thing I can see with the EBC kits is the amount of wiring that gets rolled up and put into the bag beside the controller, think that might annoy me and ad need to get the soldering iron out! Think I seen a kit with less connections/wiring somewhere but was quite a bit more expensive.
Have a look at http://www.pandaebikes.com

...and see how much a 250w geared hub kit is. You aren't going to save much by going DD, but you will lose a lot of torque. You (like me) are a larger chap who will require that extra torque.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

irishwhip

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 2, 2016
london
I recently added a 250w bbs01 crank drive kit to my old claud butler, i'm quite heavy at 98kg, but I find it to be plenty powerful for londons streets and towpaths.

• Informative

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
I recently added a 250w bbs01 crank drive kit to my old claud butler, i'm quite heavy at 98kg, but I find it to be plenty powerful for londons streets and towpaths.
Am beginning to look more at the 250w hub motor, didn't know it was a geared motor and it might be a better idea for me (most folk on here seem to prefer geared?)

• Informative