Hello

DavidHolden

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 16, 2020
Hi everyone, my name is David and I'm looking at getting my first e-bike soon!

I'm hoping to do some research and find out a few more things on here before I buy.

I can tell you that the front runner for my needs at the moment is the Giant DailyTour E+1 2020 model, but we'll see what happens! I am tempted to wait for the 2021 model to come out and check the specs on that before making a decision. Giant said it will be around Sep-Oct.

David

Reactions: Swizz

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14

I'm hoping to do some research and find out a few more things on here before I buy.

I can tell you that the front runner for my needs at the moment is the Giant DailyTour E+1 2020 model, but we'll see what happens! I am tempted to wait for the 2021 model to come out and check the specs on that before making a decision. Giant said it will be around Sep-Oct.

David
Hiya from here :)

Reactions: DavidHolden

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

David
You need to think three or four years down the road. How long has your battery been in production? How long did the previous one last? The same applies to motors and control systems. My advice is always to stick with standard and long-lived systems unless you don't mind converting your bike into a garden trellis in a few years time.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
You need to think three or four years down the road. How long has your battery been in production? How long did the previous one last? The same applies to motors and control systems. My advice is always to stick with standard and long-lived systems unless you don't mind converting your bike into a garden trellis in a few years time.
Well yes. Who could disagree?

But what exactly do you mean by "a long lived system"?

Who would have thought that Panasonic, Kalkhoffs Daum/Impulse, TranzX, Conti, Dapu... and a good few other brands... would fall from favour so quickly? At the time (just a few years ago) these were all commonly available, and all thought to be very credible systems that would go on for years. Even Yamaha and Brose are becoming far less common.

What you're saying is to buy Bosch, possibly Shimano crank... or Bafang hub-drives?

Who is to say that even they will still be in favour in another 3-4 years? It all changes so quickly. The truth is that even a current Bosch bike will be a trellis in 3-4 years - the new designs then being far smaller and far more powerful, and likely won't fit the bracket/mounting systems currently being used - and the electronics will be another world entirely.

Everything e-bike we're currently buying is already obsolete... it's just a question of time.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Chinese hub-motor stuff doesn't matter because it's modular and cheap. You can use any battery, controller or motor you want, regardless of what you had before. It's bikes with motors as part of the frame and integrated batteries that are going to be difficult.

Yes, I would stick with Shimano or Bosch. It's a shame I have to say this. Other systems might be popular in other countries, which is no problem if you can take your bike there to be fixed.

Any novel bikes with proprietary systems should be avoided like the plague. Look what's happening to all the guys that bought MK1 Gtechs that now need replacement batteries.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Chinese hub-motor stuff doesn't matter because it's modular and cheap.
Yes, I'd agree. But a hub-drive e-bike doesn't ride like a proper bike to me. If I wanted a pseudo moped, I'd just buy a moped.

I want an e-bike that rides like a bike, just with some help.

So I'll inevitably be stuck with a trellis... which is why I won't spend more than a grand on a current crank-drive, knowing I'll eventually have to scrap it.

• Dislike
Reactions: Nealh

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Complete rubbish! You need to try some modern stuff.
My first e-bike was a brand new 2016 Shengyi motored with KT LCD3 hub-drive e-bike. I rode it 16 miles. Then I bought a 2017 MaxDrive mid-drive. I saw the light and sold the hub-drive.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The biggest difference in ride feel will be torque or cadence sensing, with pros and cons for both; but torque sensing for a 'natural' feel. Most crank drive use torque, and most hub drive use cadence; but there are plenty of exceptions.

It may well be that bad experiences with hub drives are down to poor sensors and control circuitry.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My first e-bike was a brand new 2016 Shengyi motored with KT LCD3 hub-drive e-bike. I rode it 16 miles. Then I bought a 2017 MaxDrive mid-drive. I saw the light and sold the hub-drive.
the MaxDrive is excellent.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclebuddy

Briggs

Jun 9, 2020
David, you need to read more on the downloadable app for Giant bikes. That model of Giant bike was at the top of my list also, until I researched in greater detail. The bike is apparently great, the app the exact opposite.

DavidHolden

Jul 16, 2020
David, you need to read more on the downloadable app for Giant bikes. That model of Giant bike was at the top of my list also, until I researched in greater detail. The bike is apparently great, the app the exact opposite.
Thanks mate, will definitely do my research on that subject. I don't think it'll be a game changer for me to be honest because I will probably use something like Strava which I used to use when I had a road-bike, or possibly Samsung Health which I use when I go running now. I'm quite happy with Google Maps though!

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I've read the same but I personally haven't had a problem with the app though I only use it to set the power levels to my own requirements and after a ride to check my battery usage , maybe it depends which model bike or phone you have.
I'm more than happy with my Giant Fathom.
Dave.

DavidHolden

Jul 16, 2020
Thanks for all your help so far!

I understand by just a few weeks of research that this is, and will continue to be a rabbit hole. I know how fast technology advances, whether it's e-bikes, computers, TV's, sound systems, etc. It is impossible to keep pace with it, and sometimes (only sometimes) it doesn't come down to how much money you have in the bank, it's more about time and effort in your research. Whatever the latest graphics card is at that time and no matter how great they say it is, it is old news in 8 to 10 months.

My point is, I will use the same approach to buying computer parts as I do to buying my first e-bike. I will get what is best for my needs at the time and what I think will comfortably last me 4 or 5 years. Of course, in the meantime more and more e-bikes will be brought out with better technology and better parts. I'm not too bothered about that though because there is nothing I can do about it, I can't slow technology down so I will research again 4 or 5 years from now to see what's available then.

As I said earlier, the front runner for me is the Giant DailyTour E+1 at the moment but that is what I am here for, to find out more before buying.

I like the DailyTour for its Gates Carbon Drive option.
  • Chainset - Gates CDXtm CenterTrack
  • Chainrings - 120T
  • Cassette - Gates CDXtm stainless steel 26T rear sprocket
  • Chain - Gates CDXtm Carbon Drive 120T CenterTrack belt
  • Rear Derailleur - Gates Carbon Drive
Keep the posts coming and I'll research the things you talk about.

Kind regards
David

Reactions: Muddyfox

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I lmao when people talk about wanting an ebike that rides like a push bike, how one thinks a powered mid drive bike is a kin to or feels like riding an unpowered push bike I never know.
How the f**k does going up hill on a mid drive bike ever compare to a push bike ?
It is pure fantasy when I hear that pushing on the pedals of a TS PAS bike is like a push bike, even on lowest power the input is about twice that most can input lets alone using the higher setting that give about 300%. For sure you have to put in some effort but on a push bike it is 100% human effort and not part assisted effort.

I have ridden and tried out a Bosh Kalhoff bike and up hill it was a piece of p**s to ride up, the effort compared nothing like a push bike.

At least with hub drive cadence bikes no one claims or makes such spurious claims, they are what they are assisted push bikes just like a mid drive bike, just the power is different and doesn't pretend to be something it isn't.

If someone want's a bike that rides like a push bike then they should get a push bike and put in the 100% pedal effort and not pretend that a ebike is and feels like riding a pushbike.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I lmao when people talk about wanting an ebike that rides like a push bike, how one thinks a powered mid drive bike is a kin to unpowered push bike I never know.
How the f**k does going up hill on a mid drive bike ever compare to a push bike ?
It is pure fantasy when I here that pushing on the pedals of a TS PAS bike is like a push bike, even on lowest power the input is about twice that most can input lets alone using the higher setting that give about 300%. For sure you have to put in some effort but on a push bike it is 100% human effort and not part assisted effort.

I have ridden and tried out a Bosh Kalhoff bike and up hill it was a piece of p**s to ride up, the effort compared nothing like a push bike.

At least with hub drive cadence bikes no one claims or makes such spurious claims, they are what they are assisted push bikes just like a mid drive bike, just the power is different and doesn't pretend to be something it isn't.

If someone want's a bike that rides like a push bike then they should get a push bike and put in the 100% pedal effort and not pretend that a ebike is feels like riding a pushbike.
Nice one.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I lmao when people talk about wanting an ebike that rides like a push bike, how one thinks a powered mid drive bike is a kin to unpowered push bike I never know.
It is pure fantasy when I here that pushing on the pedals of a TS PAS bike is like a push bike, even on lowest power the input is about twice that most can input lets alone using the higher setting that give about 300%. For sure you have to put in some effort but on a push bike it is 100% human effort and not part assisted effort.

If someone want's a bike that rides like a push bike then they should get a push bike and put in the 100% pedal effort and not pretend that a ebike is feels like riding a pushbike.
Complete rubbish! You need to try some modern stuff. ;)

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I am tempted to wait for the 2021 model to come out and check the specs on that before making a decision. Giant said it will be around Sep-Oct.
Sorry for derailing your thread a little... it's just jolly banter.

In all seriousness, it looks a nice bike with some nice kit... but £3000 is a lot to drop. The Yamaha motor is only 60Nm, which seems a little mediocre to me for that money. Maybe if you wait till the new 2021 models arrive, you'll find a 2020 model discounted (you often do towards the end of season if there're last seasons models left in stock)?