Helmet mirror or handlebar mirror

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
All my bikes have small round Cateye bar-end mirrors which I find excellent. I'd never mount anything on a helmet. Michael Schumacher's catastrophic head injury was said to have been caused by the mounting of a camera on his helmet.
After having my helmet peak torn off in yesterdays crash, I can understand your reluctance. I'm sure, that is what jarred my neck so badly.

Sylvester

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2015
Epsom, Surrey
I use a Zefal mirror of some sort, which is fine, but it's forever getting knocked out of position. Does anyone do a detented mounting (like you get on car door mirrors) which will let the mirror click back into position?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mirrycle mirror has arrived and looks impressively well made... I bought this , against my better judgement, entirely based on other members opinions and I am so glad that I did. It gives a clear vibration free concave image and is so easy to adjust to my liking...
2015-03-06 11.04.02.jpg 2015-03-06 11.04.53.jpg
There are a lot of knowledgeable people posting on here, and a lot of what they say, although interesting, just goes right over my head, but the small things (like a mirror for example) are also important..
So thank you all!

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
I realise this thread has concluded now but just wanted to reply to this post:

I use a Zefal mirror of some sort, which is fine, but it's forever getting knocked out of position. Does anyone do a detented mounting (like you get on car door mirrors) which will let the mirror click back into position?
The Zefal Dooback works like that - so you can click it out of the way for narrow gaps or to lean a bike against a wall, and click it back when you ride the bike - no need to re-adjust. If you go for one of these be careful to order the right one - it comes in right-hand and left-hand versions.

I've got a Mirrycle on my drop-bar conventional bike and echo the comments here about quality; however, once adjusted it's fixed in position so can be an inconvenience if, like me, you have to get the bike through a narrow shed door.

Reactions: Sylvester

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I realise this thread has concluded now but just wanted to reply to this post:

The Zefal Dooback works like that - so you can click it out of the way for narrow gaps or to lean a bike against a wall, and click it back when you ride the bike - no need to re-adjust. If you go for one of these be careful to order the right one - it comes in right-hand and left-hand versions.

I've got a Mirrycle on my drop-bar conventional bike and echo the comments here about quality; however, once adjusted it's fixed in position so can be an inconvenience if, like me, you have to get the bike through a narrow shed door.
I always swing my Mirrycle mirror over when I put it in the garage so it doesn’t stick out and get caught as I walk past the fairly narrow space between it and the back of the car. I keep the front bolt tight enough not to move in use but lose enough to move it easily. It needs to be tightened up a bit every couple of months used like that which is no problem. It works for me.

Bloody Apple predictive text makes garbage of sentences if you don’t watch it.

Last edited:

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi.I use a Zefal mirror wich gives a good rear view and it folds inwards with a reassuring click and I must say I have tried lots of cheap rubbish off Ebay and this is the best mirror Ive had so far and it's also unobtrusive when holding the bars.
Regards Steve.

Reactions: Sylvester

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Yesterday, someone having a go on my bike came off and the mirror got damaged, the head was missing. To took a while to find it deep in the mud but the glass was not broken.

Later at home, I cleaned it and was able to re-insert the brass serrated threaded part and then re-assemble. It's almost as good as new, I doubt any other than the Mirrycle would be so engineered to enable such a repair.

I have a Zefal on my Birdy, always having to adjust it. Nice view from it though, preferable to the Mirrycle but not good enough to replace it.

D

Deleted member 4366

I got one of those helmet mirrors for when riding my road bike. It's just about better than nothing.

Reactions: Aushiker

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Hmmmm - my bar end mirror has bust - the black plastic cylinder thing has two splits in it which means I can't tighten it up any more. So I found this thread and thought I'd better buy me a high quality one like a Mirrcycle. Then blow me down when I saw the pics, that's exactly what I have already got Grrrrrr.