Helmet noise

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
Now here's an unusual one, l've never seen it discussed.

My cycle helmet is a standard type and it's fine at lower speeds, however at speeds of 15mph the wind roar is actually quite excessive, worse than my motorcycle helmet.

When descending hills or riding into the wind it's even worse and a little investigation revealed it's the straps that sit in front of your ears.

The wind lifts then and makes the roaring noise, l can't seem to shut it up unless l hold the straps flat against my head.

Has anyone else had this? lf you turn your head at an angle the noise stops. lt can't be good for your hearing and obliterates any other noise such as cars behind or other cyclists etc.

l've got three cycle helmets and they are all the same in this respect.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Yes, I have this with a Bontrager helmet and it sounds as though I have cars behind me. Many times I have pulled in to let them pass, then realised when I'm the only person on the road.

I don't have this with any other helmet, just the Bontrager. It might be caused by the straps rather than the vents because I generally wear a cover over the helmet in wet weather, ie for much of the year.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
It'll be the wind moving through the vents i'd think.

Have you considered a lid cover ?. It's getting wintery now and a waterproof cover would be a good addition.

I've a Gore wear C3 Gore Tex lid cover. Brand new on card cost £40 Its a medium 54-58, but my lid is a Specialized Tactic 3 and with the peak its too small. Without the peak or a roadie type lid or a smaller helmet it would fit no probs. But if you think it will fit yours, I'll happily accept 22 quid posted for it.
gore-wear-c3-gore-tex-helm-cover-black-1.jpg

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
If it is the straps vibrating then simply twisting then ought to cure it, we do this on webbing straps and they do it with chimney stacks. Mine irritatingly seem often to self twist themselves, as I am frequently unravelling them.

It costs and hurts nothing just to try a few twists.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
lt's definitely the straps in front of my ears because if l press the strap with my finger the noise completely stops on that side.

l'll try the "cat ears" idea !

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Have you got the straps short so the join is only just below your ears?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Another possible fix might be attaching the furry side of velcro, to the outer sides of straps? I can't test this because I use a jawguarded helmet, and thus have never experienced the noise issue described.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
Have you got the straps short so the join is only just below your ears?
Yes l have. At speed the front edge of the straps lift and makes the noise. lt's really loud, particularly if it's windy

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes l have. At speed the front edge of the straps lift and makes the noise. lt's really loud, particularly if it's windy
Seems to me that when the straps are in tension, they're curved and therefore little wings, with lift produced on one side or the other because of the difference in air pressure and their angle to the wind and curvature... which leads to the straps vibrating as pressure changes rapidly from one side to the other, producing noise. Therefore attaching furry velcro sides to the outsides of the straps, might solve the problem? Cheap to find out, should be easy to sew on. Let's call them "Cat Straps", or "Showaddywaddys" (because they'll look like thick sideburns).

And that's another advantage which jawguarded helmets have, in addition to saving teeth and preserving a good looking jawline. :cool: Thanks @soundwave for making the case that I use one.

Last edited:

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
If you cup your hands in front of your ear, the noise lessens by atleast 75%.
Might be an inventor out there who can fit the front half of ear defenders to a cycle helmet!!!:)