helmet

Robina

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2019
Hello,
Has anybody added, a home made peak, or purchased said, I struggle in sunny weather with my round cycling helmet,
would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0222_03_01.JPGDSC_0220_03_01.JPG
;) get some decent sunglasses

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I see many people wearing a cycling cap underneath there helmet !

I have grafted a spare peak from one helmet onto another, this did mean using 2 extremely small/short screws, just enough to bite in the helmets outer shell (1mm dia x 3mm long) it’s been on for a couple of years now ;)
DF7403B8-7ACF-46AE-A42B-EC8AEF00EBEB.jpegC689F1DE-1666-414D-B771-190B4699A2C2.jpeg2CFCA65A-FA93-439D-950D-8A142C937FE0.jpeg

It’s a lot of faff when you can buy a new lid with a peak/sun visor for around 20 quid.

Robina

Jun 11, 2019
Thanks Gringo,
I lost my original helmet on holiday, so went into Halfords in a rush
and bought this peekless type ,not realising it's not good in the sun,it
cost me £45 so need to add some sort of peak,any ideas?
A cap underneath would surely make it too hot in summer and I'm not
comfortable with sunglasses.

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mine is held on with magnets so can brake free in a crash id not recommend screws to attach it as what happens if you smash your head in to the floor and have screws imbedded in ur brain lol

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
mine is held on with magnets so can brake free in a crash id not recommend screws to attach it as what happens if you smash your head in to the floor and have screws imbedded in ur brain lol
1mm dia x 3mm long ! Do you know how long 3mm actually is, get your ruler out and see what damage that can do :p
That great lump of technology called a camera strapped to your helmet would do a lot more damage o_O

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
like i said the visor is held on with magnets you can just pull it off id not put any screws in to a crash helmet.

if you crash the visor will be torn off yet the screws will still be there id glue some metal plates and use magnets lot more safer ;)

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
if you crash the visor will be torn off yet the screws will still be there
Do you actually know how small 3mm screws are? The peak/visor is 2mm thick so the 3mm screw is only in the helmet by 1mm and if the visor gets “ripped off” the screws go with it.
You managed not to mention the camera on your helmet that will be impacted into your forehead when you head butt a Tree (or pensioner who gets in your way) at 30mph.

Reactions: atheo

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it might get ripped out but then again it might not and is not worth the risk. metal beats plastic every time but it is up to you but id find a better way to attach it rather than screws.

i can not see the camera with the helmet on so it is not a issue and when i do use it i have goggles on anyway plus it is easy to remove as held on with a 3m sticker.

DSC_0221_03_01.JPG
now if it was on my old helmet then yeah it would smash me in the face so i put it on top but then that is another problem of tree strikes.

that was close at 3mins tho lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
screw it in to ur skull and find out :p

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Hello,
Has anybody added, a home made peak, or purchased said, I struggle in sunny weather with my round cycling helmet,
would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
I use a golf sun visor which I've attached to my helmet with small cable ties. This has worked successfully for several years. It's not beautiful but I'm not bothered about appearances.
Hope this helps.
Jim

Attachments

Robina

Jun 11, 2019
good idea Jdallan but I prefer mine. I purchased a spare peak ,for another brand of helmet,on Ebay and have araldited it on ,seems to work. No screws or metal plates to dig in!

Attachments