Help & Advice Please.

kernow60

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
Hi all
After asking the question in my intro thread, thought I would sort of repeat my question in this section with a bit more info, also not everyone would necessarily read new members intro's, and I'm guessing I'm more likely to get more response by posting in the correct section.

Briefly, after returning to cycling after many years I have just acquired a new MTB it's a Diamondback Sync 3.0 it has a 16" alloy frame due to me being vertically challenged :rolleyes:, 24-speed I know you can't actually use them all.
Hydraulic disc brakes, 27.5" (650B) wheels & tyres, it has excellent reviews and imo represents very good value for money, so I'm delighted to say the least. :cool:
I'm also only a matter of months away from collecting my state pension so not quite as agile as I use to be when I use to do a lot cycling way back in the day, so this is where some electrical assistance I feel would benefit me greatly.

Now I've done a bit of research and have some friends who live locally and who use pedal assisted e-bikes, so I have a little bit of knowledge, don't they say a little knowledge can be dangerous!!! :eek:
Being as I live down here in Cornwall where we have a lot of steep hills I thought a mid drive system maybe my best option.? I would like to go with a 2-stage power option, obviously the legal option for road use and an uprated option for occasional off road use, also with a decent range, which I realise depends on battery size and how it's used. Just wondering if obtaining individual items to make-up a full kit may also be a better option, sort of pick and mix for the want of a better term.?

Also taking into account I noticed a lot of these kits require a brake lever change because they have built in sensors, whereas my hydraulic brake levers may not allow for this.? Another point is the battery position ideally a frame mounted battery would be nice but with only a 16" frame I may well be limited and have to go with the second option of a rack with a battery fitted to it. So all or any help and advice on this matter would be very much appreciated. :)
Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 4366

A mid-drive, like the Bafang BBS01/2 can run with any battery of the correct power and voltage, so in that respect, you can mix and match. Your triangle is still a fair size, so you might be able to get a frame battery to fit. There's loads of triangle batteries on Aliexpress. some come with bags, or you can make your own enclosure, which is not too difficult. A battery in the triangle is nearly always going to be best.

Begore going any further, you need to check the width of your bottom bracket to confirm that it's 68mm, otherwise there'll be some complications.

One of the important factors in choosing the correct kit is your weight. I'm guessing that you're not to heavy. Can you tell us in KG please.

kernow60

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
Hi many thanks for the reply and the info, I have noticed the name Bafang quite a lot on various sites and assume it's probably a good quality product. And yes a frame battery certainly looks better aesthetically speaking, probably as well as better for weight distribution.
I have just popped out to check the bottom bracket width, and yes it's definitely 68mm. My current weight is around 75kg which to be honest is a little over my normal weight but not by a lot.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

kernow60

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
Bafang BBS01 + 11.6AH right side pull battery with high discharge BMS.
No problem with hills at your weight.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit
Hi many thanks again for the reply, I take kit this kit is not able to switch from road legal to a higher power setting for off road.? Also stated further down the page it says the cable operated brake levers supplied are not compatible with hydraulic disc brakes.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hi many thanks again for the reply, I take kit this kit is not able to switch from road legal to a higher power setting for off road.? .
I wouldn't worry about that, as it's specifically outlawed, making the bike illegal anyway.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

The BBS01 is programmable to an extent. you have to get a programming cable for it. The standard current is 15 amps. You can take it up to about 18 amps, which I'm sure you'll find enough. Increasing the current gives proportionally more power, but doesn't affect the legality. You can also set the speed limit to what you want, though to be legal, it has to be 25km/h for use in a public place, as you probably know.

The brake switches might not be needed, but if you want one (or two), you can get special ones for hydraulic brakes, which aren't too expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The BBS01 is programmable to an extent. you have to get a programming cable for it. The standard current is 15 amps. You can take it up to about 18 amps, which I'm sure you'll find enough. Increasing the current gives proportionally more power, but doesn't affect the legality. You can also set the speed limit to what you want, though to be legal, it has to be 25km/h for use in a public place, as you probably know.
As d8veh says it's important to understand that the legality is about the motors rating (BBS01 is 250W) not the actual VxA.

You can pump 100A through it, still legal. (although your motor would go a little bit melty/on fire)

Anyway, down here in the wild west no one's checking.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

kernow60

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
OK thanks guys plenty of info coming through now, my main concern has I believe been answered by soundwave apparently sensors are available to fit with standard brake levers. Also I seem to remember reading, which I've done quite a lot of late, that power modes are changeable through the controller/screen by inserting certain codes, which also seems to be the case..
Anyhow at the moment seeing I'm completely new to the e-bike scene and I'm gathering as much info and advice as possible before I make any purchases after all a mid position drive system and battery are probably going to be close to twice as much as my initial outlay for my new bike. !!! o_O
hope er'indoors isn't looking over my shoulder.!!! :eek:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
this guy makes his own batts as well top speed so far ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just remember going that fast will nuke any battery so sacrifice speed for range.

Mar 9, 2016
It also risks the entire ebike range being put into motorbike classification...
When someone is hurt or when police decide to stop turning a blind eye chances are we,ll all suffer...even legal pedelecs.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
he has only been find so far but in aus ;)

Mar 9, 2016
If riders insist on breaking either the pedelec laws consistently the simple answer will just be put all of them under moped or motor cycle classification, effectively ending all pedelec use where only push bikes are allowed.
Said it before but if folk want power over 15.5 mph and/ or significantly over the 250w limit buy a motorbike.?? What's the problem. Motorbikes are cheaper than pedelecs.!!!

The law is blatantly ignored. Look on ebay, who is buying the 750w 8 funs ? and where are they using them ??

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you forgot 1 thing the police dont care martin at ebike shop dont care and will honer the bosch warranty with a dongle fitted as bosch cant tell if 1 has been used.

if every one on this forum went buy uk law 90% would be banned and yet not 1 person has had there bike taken away or been banned for posting how to remove speed limits and mod controllers ect.