Help between Wisper 905 Torque Mk II and Oxygen S-Cross MTB ...

mischip

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2019
... I have another thread going where I asked about bike recommendations. I'm looking for a bike that will easily do a 12 mile (in total) commute in pretty hilly terrain and will cover the odd bit of off roading (likely along canal tow paths rather than MTB per say) with as little effort as possible. It's likely to be for 90% road commuting and 10% leisure/off road. The advice I got there was that a high torque motor might be best which put the Oxygen S-Cross MTB on my radar. The high torque requirement put me on to the Wisper 905 Torque Mk II. I'm likely only to commute via bike for 3 out of 5 days a week so I want to keep cost down as far as possible but don't want to go right to the bottom, price wise, or push the boat out too far.

I'm looking at places that can do the Cycle2Work scheme to help me get £300 ish off. So this has led me to Ebikesdirect, as follows:

Oxygen S-Cross MTB 13Ah - £1377 (approx £1057 with Cycle 2 Work but no panier rack, lights, mudguards so figure on £100 extra so £1157 total after Cycle2Work discount)

Wisper 905 Torque MKII Graded EX DEMO bike 11AH - £1234 (approx £914 after Cycle2Work discount - has all the commuter bits I need included).

I'm leaning towards the Wisper but slightly concerned at the battery size. I'm not likely to be doing long journeys so as long as it covers me to and from work a couple of times a week before recharge (25 miles approx) I'd be happy with that (upgrading to the 16AH 575wh battery would cost £400+ more).

Would the Wisper Torque manage with the road hills around Huddersfield area would you think?

Would a 11ah battery be acceptable for the use I intend and bearing in mind pretty hilly around here.

Would I be better spending £250 extra to get the Oxygen S-Cross MTB, having to kit it out for commuting use and even though I'm not intending on doing much, if any, off-roading?

Would the 27 gears on the Oxygen help for getting up hills with less effort than the Wisper with only 8 speed gears?

Any concerns over getting a demo bike? (I'm willing to accept knocks to paint job and minor defects for price reduction.)

As before any comments/suggestions/advice, much appreciated!

Last edited:

mischip

Jan 7, 2019
Come to Sheffield/Rotherham and see what JE James has to offer. Or is that too far for warranty, etc??
It's quite a way to check things out. I can't see either of these on their website either and not sure if they are connected to the Cycle to Work scheme (that £300 saving is pretty crucial).

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
Both the Whisper and Oxygen would be fine for hills i would think a few years ago the Oxygen E mate won the hill climb in Bristol
the S cross uses the same motor i believe

Reactions: mischip

mischip

Jan 7, 2019
Hi mischip, do you know how old the battery is? If it’s new I would be happy to swap the 375 for a 575 for £150 plus delivery.

David@wisperbikes.com

All the best, David
Hi David. Thanks for the offer. It’s a demo bike so sadly not a brand new battery.

So how would you convince me to go for the Wisper Torque over the Oxygen S-Cross MTB? I know it’s hard to say but what range would you say approximately possible on reasonably hilly terrain with highest support level with the 11ah?

Best wishes,

Mike

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
It's quite a way to check things out. I can't see either of these on their website either and not sure if they are connected to the Cycle to Work scheme (that £300 saving is pretty crucial).
They definitely support various cycle schemes but, no, they don't sell the 'mail order type' bikes

Reactions: mischip

mischip

Jan 7, 2019
They definitely support various cycle schemes but, no, they don't sell the 'mail order type' bikes
Thanks for the suggestion though. There is a shop in Halifax I’ve been a recommended so will try there as a bit closer to home.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Have you considered buying a new bike to convert with your voucher?

mischip

Jan 7, 2019
No, wouldn't even know where to start. Struggling enough just looking through the options of e-bikes! I had a brief moment yesterday when I thought to myself whether it would be a lot cheaper for a better outcome but didn't really know where to begin.

mischip

Jan 7, 2019
I'm still considering your Rio MTB or Rio FB as options but I was hoping for a slightly more commuter looking bike (if that makes sense) at least in terms of wheels. I like the way your bikes come with all the mud guards, pannier rack, lights etc included it has to be said.

Reactions: Woosh

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
No, wouldn't even know where to start. Struggling enough just looking through the options of e-bikes! I had a brief moment yesterday when I thought to myself whether it would be a lot cheaper for a better outcome but didn't really know where to begin.
before I got my eMTB, I toyed with the idea of putting a Copenhagen wheel on my gravel bike - I'm sure it would have been fun and different but the cost was a bit much

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Hi, I have been using a Wisper 905se (non torque model) around the Peak district for the last 18 months and it has coped fine, even over the Cat and Fiddle from Macclesfield to Buxton and around Macclesfield Forest.

mischip

Jan 7, 2019
Hi, I have been using a Wisper 905se (non torque model) around the Peak district for the last 18 months and it has coped fine, even over the Cat and Fiddle from Macclesfield to Buxton and around Macclesfield Forest.
What size battery do you have?

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I have never flattened the battery and the most I have probably done in one day is about 30 miles and that would be with quite a lot of steep climbing and that still left me with some charge, hope this helps. On a plus point I have found Wisper really good to deal with regarding customer service. Steve W...

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

mischip

Jan 7, 2019
I have never flattened the battery and the most I have probably done in one day is about 30 miles and that would be with quite a lot of steep climbing and that still left me with some charge, hope this helps. On a plus point I have found Wisper really good to deal with regarding customer service. Steve W...
Ta, Steve. That's really helpful.