Help...Charger problem

Psycosis

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
Walton On Thames
I want an opinion on this as i am not at work with a charger thats just gone pop.

There was only one light showing it has power, the charging light was off.
There was no fan spinning so i assume it wasn't working.
Where the kettle lead is plugged in, it sometimes buzzes when moved even slightly.

I took the plug out of the wall and has a look at the supplied power lead. This has a very strange fuse in it.
Now i don't know what the inside of a fuse looks like, but the end caps fell off and the case is made of some kind of plastic.
I can see through the whole thing.
Its rated to 5amps apparently.

I assume somehow this has blown.
I swapped this over for a regular pc 5amp kettle lead.
This caused the charger to go pop. The glass fuse inside the charger itself is still intact.

Does this sound like a faulty charger?

My bike is now stuck at work in the office.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
switch mode PSU's (which is what these chargers essentially are) can often fail quite spectacularly - if there aren't sufficient fuses, smoke and fire are not uncommon :eek:.

I'd get the thing exchanged. Its not worth your effort or your own safety trying to repair it.

unfortunately there can be up to a 25% failure rate on all electronics particularly (its what I remember when I was working with then "bleeding edge" technology). what bike/charger is it?

Psycosis

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
Walton On Thames
its one that i was sent from ping.
I opened it up and i can see 2 57 F black things with a silver stripe (diodes?)around the top which look scorched.
Heaps of white sealent/past all on the underside of the PBC.
I reckon i could fix it, but i reckon it was duff to begin with or weak in some way.

Last edited:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I've heard Mr Ping is very good customer service wise and will probably replace the charger quickly - although unfortunately I expect there will be a longer delivery time than something readily available in the UK (unless there are places which sell these here?)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
You could probably replace the blown capacitors but if Alex728 is right then they will just blow again, rather than wait for delivery Mr Ping may be able to tell you how to fix it.

Psycosis

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
Walton On Thames
I had an email back from a guy on ebay selling kits in the UK, he says he can send me a 5amp 48v charger for £21 plus postage.
Seems very cheap, cheaper in fact that what i paid for mine in the first place.

I may try repairing it if i don't have any lucky since the postage costs will be pretty high if i have to return it.