Help choosing an e gravel bike

Jim1964

Just Joined
Mar 3, 2019
I would appreciate some advice from wise old cyclists out there. My wife and I are going to purchase electric gravel bikes; I have narrowed the search down to An Orbea gain F20 and canondale quick Neo Eq for my wife. She has no cycling experience. - we live in the Peak District, will the Orbea have enough power?

I have narrowed my bike search down to a Canondale synapse Neo SE and an orbea gain D21. I have cycled a lot in the past but have not gone out in anger for over a year.

What would your advice be on bike selection!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
My question is why gravel bikes? An MTB is much more comfortable. Gravel bikes are a great alternatives to a road bike when you only have pedal power but when you have a motor, many of the advantages disappear.

Surely, for someone with no cycling experience, a sit up and beg type bike would be a better choice.

Reactions: Nev and Jim1964

Jim1964

Just Joined
Mar 3, 2019
Thanks for the reply. My reason for choosing a gravel bike is becaus I envisage most of our riding to be on roads with the option to go on trails and disused railways. You have given me food for thought.

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Jim1964,
I agree with vfr400, those Orbea and Cannondale machines are totally unsuitable for what you require.
You can also get something far more suitable without spending so much money.
Have a look at Oxygen and Woosh bikes amongst others:
http://www.oxygenbicycles.com/
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?

Also:
1. Peruse the "Which Ebike should I Buy" archives on these forums.
2. Look at positive/negative feedback from users on a particular make or model.

Reactions: Nev

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Jim1964,
I almost forgot to tell you that Cube bikes are generally well rated on these forums.

One happy owner here:
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/new-e-bike-owner.33219/
Have a look at the CubeTouring Hybrid One 400/500 or Touring Hybrid Pro 400/500.

There is also an Easy Entry (stepthrough) version:
https://www.evanscycles.com/cube-touring-hybrid-pro-500-easy-entry-2019-electric-hybrid-bike-EV351084

The 500Wh battery has a longer range than the 400Wh one. The motor is the Bosch Active Line Plus which has little resistance/drag above the 15.5 mph assistance cutoff speed:
https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/reviews/components/bosch-active-line-plus-motor-1680

Jim1964

Just Joined
Mar 3, 2019
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll take a look at the websites you suggest.
I am going to go to an e bike show in Dortmund on 5th April. I hope to get more advice themake a decision and will take a few bikes for a test drive.

Thanks once again.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The Germans like to spend a lot more on these sort of things than we do, so be careful. Unless, money isn't important to you, bikes in the £1000 to £1500 range should give you everything you need. If you're on a tight budget, you can get acceptable bikes from about £650. As a general rule, the more you pay, the higher will be your running costs. Nevertheless, an expensive piece of machinery is a joy to behold.

Finally, a consideration that many don't think about. Most bikes are reliable for a couple of years. Eventually, something will need to be fixed. If you're the sort of guy that likes to be master of your destiny and fix things for yourself, you have to be careful in your choice of electric bike because with many of them, you'll find that you're tied to a specific dealer for repairs. With that in mind, I always advise people to choose a common brand, ideally a bike that lots of other people have. Do not buy a brand that's hardly known or unknown on this forum if you want meaningful help in the future.

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Jim1964,
Make sure that you try the Haibikes at the Dortmund show.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
If you're in Germany, take a look at Focus - I love my eMTB from them. I'd agree with others that you will be better off with an MTB than a gravel bike. The only thing I would do differently if I were to make the decision again would be to choose full-sus over a hardtail. Even for commuting on potholed roads, the extra suspension on the rear would be appreciated...

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Hi Jim,

I live in Sheffield and we have wonderful access to the Trans Pennine Trail. The TPT is just 30 seconds from my house. I have a Cube Cross Pro Hybrid ebike and have to say it's very good. I have changed the original tyres as I needed something more puncture resistant. The Bosch CX motor will let you climb a 45 degree incline without getting out of the saddle, as long as you have enough grip from the tyres. In hindsight I would have been better off purchsing the mountain bike version as it has larger, grippier tyres and will give you a more comfortable ride as you can set the pressure lower.

I bought a gravel bike and I've changed it more in to a MTB for comfort and grip, for when I sometimes get in the rough stuff. I doubt the make matters much, just get a well known motor and battery system like Yamaha, Shimano or Bosch.

The more I ride, the less I use the battery, as I 'm getting fitter. For those steep climbs you cant beat EMTB or Turbo mode.

Just another thought, when I cycle to work which is 7 miles there and 7 miles back, mainly down cycle paths ,(TPT), I take my Hybrid ebike, which has got mudgaurds and storage for my phone. wallet and keys etc.

I spent £2K on my ebike and not having that much experience, my biggest mistake was not having a proffesional fit. I ended up with a frame that is too big. I'm tall, but only have short legs. Make sure you get mearsured properly for your bike. I've had all sorts of problems getting mine to suit me.

BucksCS

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2019
Chilterns
I would appreciate some advice from wise old cyclists out there. My wife and I are going to purchase electric gravel bikes; I have narrowed the search down to An Orbea gain F20 and canondale quick Neo Eq for my wife. She has no cycling experience. - we live in the Peak District, will the Orbea have enough power?

I have narrowed my bike search down to a Canondale synapse Neo SE and an orbea gain D21. I have cycled a lot in the past but have not gone out in anger for over a year.

What would your advice be on bike selection!
Jim,
did you end up buying the F20? If so, I would be interested in hearing your experiences to date as that is on my shortlist,
thank you