Help choosing an electric bike conversion kit

Dee123

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 12, 2014
Hello. Can anyone give me some advice please?
I want to buy an electric conversion kit but don't know the best one to choose?
I ride to work about 3 days a week along a prom which is 5 miles long.
Sometimes it gets very windy so I just want some extra power on the odd occasion, not all the time as I enjoy the exercise!!!
Any help would be appreciated. Also any idea on costs and if there is anybody who can fit a kit in the north west?

Thanks

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Fitting a kit is really only worth doing if you have a bike that you really like, want something unusual, or enjoy the challenge.

So, what bike are talking about ? Pics would help.

A flat route of 5 miles is pretty easy for most batteries, but I get the feeling you are after something very light weight, and want it to be very bike like? (feel free to correct me!)

Front, middle or rear drive preference?

It would also help if you can tell us how much you weigh, and fitness level. I know it s a bit personal, but it will help you get the right kit.

Dee123

Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for the reply Mike. Although the route is flat it is on a prom so sometimes I feel as if I am going backwards!!! Wouldn't mind a lightweight battery but not if it has low performance.

Your being a bit techie with the front, middle or rear drive question, I am not sure what that means!!

But yes, I love riding my bike and I enjoy the exercise. My fitness levels I think are very good and I am about 8 st 10 lb maybe - so fairly slim and that's why I struggle sometimes. As you will see from he pics of my bike I have 2 panniers for my clothes, lunch and shoes as well as a basket so I don't travel light!!!!

Any advice much appreciated. I will pick up tomorrow.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

There's not many shops that can fit a kit. Those that do are fairly expensive, which pushes the price higher than a ready-made bike. It only really makes sense to fit a kit if you do it yourself. The cheaper kits are about $400 to £500. You can get one of these for £645 inc delivery:

http://www.wooshbikes.co.uk/?sant-ana

With your weight, any ready-made electric bike would give you what you want. Click on the adverts on the right. There should be something there for you.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I'm guessing you have 3 or 7 hub gears on that bike? Unless it's fixed speed?

In that case, I recommend a front hub motor. 8fun do some good kits, ebay, £400 (ish)

As D8veh says, if you need to get it fitted by a shop, that's where the cost becomes prohibitive, or borderline.

If you are handy, or know someone who is, then you'll be quids in. I bet that bike would be nice with a small lightweight kit on it.

Dee123

Aug 12, 2014
Thanks, it has 3 gears, I will take a look at the sites recommended,