Help fast track this noob! Which fitness tracker, helmet, pads and lastly speed box 3.0?

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Hey guys,

Okay so I finally pickup my bike on Wednesday from being wrapped and now I need to get a few things ready in advance:

Helmet:
Giro Tyrant (there’s a couple of offers flying around £102) vs Fox dropframe pro vs Giro switchblade....I’ve just realised the switchblade almost becomes the Tyrant when the chin guard is replaced so need 5o double check the weights, might as well go for switchblade if thats the case, maybe someone knows?

Elbow/knee pads
Decent brand anyone without paying the Earth?

Speedbox 3.0
This safe to use or can it destroy the motor ultimately?

cheers my dears

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hey guys,

Okay so I finally pickup my bike on Wednesday from being wrapped and now I need to get a few things ready in advance:

Helmet:
Giro Tyrant (there’s a couple of offers flying around £102) vs Fox dropframe pro vs Giro switchblade....I’ve just realised the switchblade almost becomes the Tyrant when the chin guard is replaced so need 5o double check the weights, might as well go for switchblade if thats the case, maybe someone knows?

Elbow/knee pads
Decent brand anyone without paying the Earth?

Speedbox 3.0
This safe to use or can it destroy the motor ultimately?

cheers my dears
Crikey, I didn’t realise that the road from Reading to Slough was that bad.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
For fitness watch/tracker, I have a Huawei Band 3 Pro. GPS, good battery, clear colour OLED screen, waterproof, choice of colours, costs under £50. I like it a lot and would buy another if I needed one Downside - using GPS hammers the battery (charge lasts over a week without GPS, down to several hours using GPS).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0222_03.JPG

i got mine for £250 but it is not adjustable so it will either fit or it wont as i am a m but had to get a large.

can be removed in seconds but the speed on the display will be half so 30mph =15mph on the display

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
For fitness watch/tracker, I have a Huawei Band 3 Pro. GPS, good battery, clear colour OLED screen, waterproof, choice of colours, costs under £50. I like it a lot and would buy another if I needed one Downside - using GPS hammers the battery (charge lasts over a week without GPS, down to several hours using GPS).
I’ve got the mi band 5 already and battery never dies, no gps though! Huawei do decent stuff I’ll check that one cheers....I do have Apple Watch 6 cellular (still in its packaging) but it’s awaiting a protector and now the dilemma of which phone to go for too, it was clear cut apple/apple but my iPhone 7 is a joke when gps and a couple apps are in use tracking and the 11s aren’t amazing in this respect.

Thing is when your out on those rare moments that are worthy of a shot, be handy to have a decent camera phone but as we go up in standards then we’re risking damaging rather expensive fragile bits of tech....I was also wondering about powering devices whilst out too, maybe a small bank or I do have a biolite solar panel I use for camping thats designed for trekking withm stick it on your back kind of thing but a pain....there is the new Samsung FE that’s coming out with a 7000 battery and reasonable all round performance for a good price too considering the standard is around 4000 these days.

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
View attachment 38496

i got mine for £250 but it is not adjustable so it will either fit or it wont as i am a m but had to get a large.

can be removed in seconds but the speed on the display will be half so 30mph =15mph on the display
This kind of the same thing as the speedbox? Cheers.

Great looking helmet, I had been checking the TLD stage as it’s not far off weight wise and better ventilated but I’m too fearful of looking like a tit tbh, not in the sense that full looks daft but in the sense I’m a noob looking like I’m going nuts deep and then you’ll see my tyres still planted over every bump!! I also know my other half things I’m going through a mid life right now and that would definitely add to the suspicion

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
This kind of the same thing as the speedbox? Cheers.

Great looking helmet, I had been checking the TLD stage as it’s not far off weight wise and better ventilated but I’m too fearful of looking like a tit tbh, not in the sense that full looks daft but in the sense I’m a noob looking like I’m going nuts deep and then you’ll see my tyres still planted over every bump!! I also know my other half things I’m going through a mid life right now and that would definitely add to the suspicion
it removes the speed limit and no need to wire one in to the motor.

when ppl see me with that lid on they shite them self no bell required blasting past them going 30mph.

compared to my old helmet it is a lot better protection wise as it is clamped to my head and wont move.
DSC_0221_03_01.JPG

Reactions: Carlbiker

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
it removes the speed limit and no need to wire one in to the motor.

when ppl see me with that lid on they shite them self no bell required blasting past them going 30mph.

compared to my old helmet it is a lot better protection wise as it is clamped to my head and wont move.
View attachment 38497

oh that’s class then, why would anyone pick speedbox over this then? Does the weight of the helmets not bother you? It’s rare to see full face from any of the YouTube videos I watch with trails and a few jumps but I do like the protection factor

compared to your old helmet it looks night and day better!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it shows the correct speed some ppl want this and the only way is with a wired dongle.

it is more heavy than my old one but dont really notice it tbh and ride my bike like a maniac anyway dh speed on the pavement :p :p

the new ones are smaller but the same thing

Reactions: Carlbiker

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
it shows the correct speed some ppl want this and the only way is with a wired dongle.

it is more heavy than my old one but dont really notice it tbh and ride my bike like a maniac anyway dh speed on the pavement :p :p

the new ones are smaller but the same thing
Looks class that cheers

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Sorry, I'm not very good at all this yet. Why is Speedbox can destroy the motor? For some reason I have not heard of this...
dongles only remove the speed limit so do not give you any more power than the motor has anyway so just removes the speed limit.

tho you could wire one in wrong in to the motor and short something out.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
It weighs 1230gm in medium - that is (almost) the same weight as my motorbike helmet!
However, the MIPS system is the bees knees, and if you're really going to do 30mph, it's the right way to go. Standard bike helmets are only good for 15mph.
As per motorbike helmets, they should be replaced every 5/6 years, or after a crash (but not after an accidental drop, unless the outer shell is cracked) = £50-70/yr investment in safety - that's OK for serious use.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It weighs 1230gm in medium - that is (almost) the same weight as my motorbike helmet!
However, the MIPS system is the bees knees, and if you're really going to do 30mph, it's the right way to go. Standard bike helmets are only good for 15mph.
As per motorbike helmets, they should be replaced every 5/6 years, or after a crash (but not after an accidental drop, unless the outer shell is cracked) = £50-70/yr investment in safety - that's OK for serious use.
i did think the waight of it could be a problem but after using it a few times did not make any difference to me other than the cheek pads are super tight and had to squash them down a bit for a better fit as you cant adjust anything.

it fits way better than the old one nice and comfortable and way better air flow as on the hottest day was not sweating buckets like with the old one.

down side is the noise esp at speed sounds like a tornado going round inside but have got used to it now. ;)