Help finding a post

BossBob

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2007
Fife - Scotland - KY11
Sorry, but within the last couple of weeks someone posted a link to a video of a bike climbing a hill ( I think it was in Seattle) and stomping by other cyclists.
I seem to recall it had 72v dewalts powering it, but that could be 2 stories mixed up.

Anyone know where the link is?
I can't for the life of me find which thread it was in.

Ta

Rab

giguana

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2007
do you think it's worth buying as many chargers as batteries, would you just change them around every half an hour...I think they would just last like one year and half that's the main setback.

BossBob

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2007
Fife - Scotland - KY11
Hmmmm

Firstly, you are correct, our chargers for the 36v are also 110v only, it is the 24v variant that has a 240v charger ..... just been to ebay to look ;)

On chargers, no, I would just have one, maybe a spare as a back up but no more. I don't see a need as they are pretty fast to charge, that fact it is 110v would be a real downer so I probably wouldn't go that route.

1000 cycles is pretty hard to judge in years, but it is as good as any others, so even at a charge a day, it is still 3years which seems fair.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
The use of DeWalt A123 batteries has been discussed many times on this forum and it has come to light there are a number of obstacles to their use They are not actually 36V having 1 less cell than comparable bike batteries making the actual voltage around 33V rendering them unsuitable for many ready made bikes, they also have a very low capacity of 2.2Ah meaning a minimum of 4 are needed to approach the capacity of a typical e-bike battery and at 1.1kg and £75-150 each in price the total would be heavier and more expensive than most purpose made bike batteries with no guarantee of 1000 cycles under the very different operating conditions from what they were designed for.

Obtaining a 240V charger is not a problem though, part number DE9000-GB about £115 or less from DeWalt dealers