Help frame size confusion part 2.

iangrimmett

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 19, 2009
Apart from that, having read so many reviews on electric bikes I had originally narrowed it down to either Urban Cruiser or Kalkhoff Pro Connect.
Obviously there is a huge difference in price and as I freely admit I know nothing about elect bikes I would be very interested and really6 grateful for advice from those in the know as to what choice bike they would suggest for the £1700 or so the Kalkhoff will cost. The journey is just commuting to and from work 22 mile round trip flat and gradients.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
It depends on what you like - the Panasonic system or a hub motor. Different people will have different preferences.
There are some questions that will help you get the best answer...
- How steep are your hills?
- Do you want to pedal all the time, or coast along?
- How important is speed?
...but trying different bikes is really the only way to find out (like others on this forum I have tried several and owned four different ones!)

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
All depends on what you want from the bike. I have the Agattu myself, chosen in preference to the ProConnect because I cared about comfort more than weight. All the Kalkhoff bikes are excellent though.

Also excellent I'm told are the Wisper bikes.... and PowaCycle Windsor and Salisbury are excellent value for money... and the latest ones from Giant are good too... and the Gazelle EasyGilder... and there seem to be many happy Eeze owners out ther... In fact, as long as you avoid cheap no-brand ebay rubbish, the chances are you'll get something worthwhile.

It really is all down to what you want. Given the combination of a pair of wheels and a (~250W) motor, it's amazing how different the bikes can be. If you can, you need to try out both crank-motor (panasonic and sanyo) and hub-motor based machines as it's a very personal thing as to which you prefer. Based on my limited collection of e-biking friends/family, it seems to me that people who have done lots of motorcycling in the past prefer hub motors, but people coming from a cycling background tend to prefer crank-driven.