Help getting derailleur hanger off

thegrapher

Just Joined
Feb 20, 2023
Hi I have a cube cargo sport and bent the gear hanger. Got another, but can’t for the life of me work out how to get the one on the bike off. Any suggestions VERY welcome

I tried hitting it but it’s fixed and judging by the new one I just can’t see how it’s held in other than maybe they used a lock glue

just wanted some advice if possible

thanks in advance

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
try a long bolt in one of the threads and wack that with a hammer and give it a good blast of wd40 as well, i cant see that they bonded that part on.

Reactions: thegrapher

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If it's stuck because of galvanic corrosion, soak in a strong alkaline solution?

Reactions: thegrapher

thegrapher

Just Joined
Feb 20, 2023
Yeah that’s been my assumption. I believe the flat part is maybe a part of the thread and needs to be hammered out but I wanted to make sure before I start bashing it

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'd wait before going at it with a hammer - someone who's seen this before may happen along.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
From the pictures, the black part and the blue part are designed to have an adjustable sliding fit, and the silver threaded bits are nuts which form a clamp with the bolts that have been removed.

The nuts should come out with careful tapping and proper support of the other parts, and that might start to separate the alloy parts. Try tapping sideways in both directions, and try rotating them too - clockwise from the view in the picture. They can also be levered using a thick screwdriver or rod in the slot at the edge.

Proper support means solid and as close to the bit you want to shift as possible. 'Engineering is all about getting the force in the right place', as my Grandad used to say.

If you get nowhere with any of that, you need to choose between giving up and keeping your bent but working hanger, and the 'all or nothing' approach of hacksawing the old hanger into two parts at the axle dropout slot to leave two separate parts, as long as they can be for maximum leverage, which you can then work away at separately.

If it is a corrosion issue, which is likely, bear in mind the frame and new hanger might not have the best fit, depending on the level of damage.

I'm assuming the adjustment screw at the bottom is not causing any difficulty...

Reactions: Bikes4two

Related Articles

Advertisers