Help identifying rear hub motor please

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Thanks for all the help guys!

So...if i bought this 36v 20a battery (same as my current one but almost double the amps) it should wire up fine with my motor and display as the controller is internal...
Giving me more range and torque but probably no more top speed?
I'd pay the £325 to replace it...with the justification that eventually I'd need a new fresh battery anyway...

Thanks again!
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/232994552874
Ur confusing amp hours AH (capacity of the battery) with AMPS the current the controller is delivering. Higher AMPS is what u need to increase speed and torque. The only thing that 20ah battery will give u is nearly double the miles of your 11ah one.

post a photo of the controller and its rating.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
More amps may give more power and acceleration speed if the hub doesn't saturate or bog down. For out and out speed you need higher voltage though you may find 1 or 2 mph more.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
To be pedantic and because we like science and maths, fitting a battery with more amp-hours does in fact increase the power and the torque compared with one with less amp-hours used for the same journey and charged at the same time. It's because the average voltage will be higher and both power and torque are more or less directly proportional to volts.

By way of example, a 10Ah and a 20Ah battery are used for the same 30 mile journey. Both start at 42v. At the end of the journey, the 10Ah one will be around 32v and the 20Ah one around 37v, so the average voltages are 37v and 39.5v. That means the larger battery will give 6.7% more average power for that journey. The difference will be zero at the start and 13% more power from the bigger one at the end of the journey.

In other words, if you only use your bike to nip down the shop to get your newspaper every day and charge it back up afterwards, you won't notice any difference, but the difference would be very noticeable at the end of a long journey, even more so when your legs are tired.

Last edited:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
To be pedantic and because we like science and maths, fitting a battery with more amp-hours does in fact increase the power and the torque compared with one with less amp-hours used for the same journey and charged at the same time. It's because the average voltage will be higher and both power and torque are more or less directly proportional to volts.

By way of example, a 10Ah and a 20Ah battery are used for the same 30 mile journey. Both start at 42v. At the end of the journey, the 10Ah one will be around 32v and the 20Ah one around 37v, so the average voltages are 37v and 39.5v. That means the larger battery will give 6.7% more average power for that journey. The difference will be zero at the start and 13% more power from the bigger one at the end of the journey.

In other words, if you only use your bike to nip down the shop to get your newspaper every day and charge it back up afterwards, you won't notice any difference, but the difference would be very noticeable at the end of a long journey, even more so when your legs are tired.
Yes thats a good point.Ive certainly noticed with a 36v system that drop in performance as the battery gets more and more drained.now ive got 2 batts, 30ah on my bbs01 run parallel ,total 11p. do you think the lower amps each parallel is having to provide has a beneficial effect in staving off voltage sag,or it just comes down to the higher capacity of the battery. we're not talking high performance cells,just samsung 29Es.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
That's been my experience with parallel batteries. Have tried carrying both but connecting the individually, but sag (and presumeably battery stress) is far less with them both in together.

Reactions: minexplorer