Help! Is there a market for the Wisper Wayfarer?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Crockers, finding my way a little on this level of bike. We are going to bring back the Wisper Works tag to signify when the bikes are built here in Kent.

We will be making the next 1000 or so of our standard Wispers here until we have the Taiwanese bikes flowing, we will then utilise our new manufacturing facility to build Works bikes. Its going to be a very interesting year.

All good!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The bike will retail between £3,500 and £4,500 depending on specs.

Looking at the above photo for >3,963€ I would want as standard a Tubus Fly rack, a NCX seat post, a RST mono-shock fork, Hebie chainglider, ergotec trekking handlebar, stem and pedals, b+m lights and decent aluminum mudguards covering Schwalbe Big Ben Plus tyres. That is how a German/Austrian/Swiss bike would be equipped for similar money.

• Useful
Reactions: KEN OPENSHAW

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The specs we are looking at would certainly compete very favourably Kiwi. At the top end we would be using the brand new Nexus 5 ebike hub from Shimano with Di2 electronic change, Rockshox, Schwalbe Big Bens could be chosen from a list of tyres. Shimano E7000 504Wh in frame battery and of course the carbon frame.

The Alloy version would start at about £2,200.00 with a lower spec and the E5000 drive.

At Eurobike we found that we were about 20% cheaper than equivalent European bikes.

All the best, David

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The rack has to go David! Why mess up a good looking frame with such a horror? Even on a rendering. How about folding pedals and a turning stem as standard so you can make the bike flat for train transport or parking in the hall at the office or at home?

As they say the devil is in the detail and you need to bring a little + here and there to stand out from the crowd.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Have you considered a choice of colours? Red. White. Blue.

If you're considering offering a choice of configurations have you considered an online configurator?

Auxtail

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2017
Milton Keynes
HI David,
Electric Bike share is big business in US, see Uber and Lyft. This design is pretty similar to their requirements. Step Thru, electric and robust.
I think there are a few operators out there, but Santander are the biggest. If you need a contact I can DM. Might need to bring the price down. Target weight 20Kg. High tension steel probably.
Cheers
Craig
PS. Like the lots of people with great ideas quote.

• Agree

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
The bike will retail between £3,500 and £4,500 depending on specs.

Looking at the above photo for >3,963€ I would want as standard a Tubus Fly rack, a NCX seat post, a RST mono-shock fork, Hebie chainglider, ergotec trekking handlebar, stem and pedals, b+m lights and decent aluminum mudguards covering Schwalbe Big Ben Plus tyres. That is how a German/Austrian/Swiss bike would be equipped for similar money.
At that price, I would like an Ursus Big Foot stand, steering stabiliser and lugs for a front rack, similar to Tern, Edge, Juiced, Rad Power etc. I would also expect Samantha Fox to come round once a month to run a duster over the spokes. It's not easy designing these bikes, is it? There's always one! I realise the more a bike sells for, the more mark-up there is, and you are in business to make a profit, but some bike prices are scary. Someone at Eurobike on YouTube quoted £11,000 for his top model. I saw a house in Spain for sale the other day for eight thousand euros. Makes you think.

Last edited:

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
At that price, I would like an Ursus Big Foot stand, steering stabiliser and lugs for a front rack, similar to Tern, Edge, Juiced, Rad Power etc. I would also expect Samantha Fox to come round once a month to run a duster over the spokes. It's not easy designing these bikes, is it? There's always one! I realise the more a bike sells for, the more mark-up there is, and you are in business to make a profit, but some bike prices are scary. Someone at Eurobike on YouTube quoted £11,000 for his top model.
Sorry, that should have been the Ursus Jumbo 80 Twin-leg folding stand. A purpose-made rack for the mounting lugs would make sense, as well. We can come up with all these suggestions - it's easy! I used to work in a shop where people came in and said things like: 'You should stock' or 'Why don't you move that over there?' They were full of bright ideas, but of course, they did not have to implement them.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hi pedelecers,

I am in a quandary.

We have designed a new step through frame in carbon. Our target audience is larger, heavier riders wanting a stiff, solid, light weight frame with high end components. Shimano 7000 series and in frame removable battery. The bike will retail between £3,500 and £4,500 depending on specs.

Obviously the bike is not only for the larger and heavier rider but it will cater for those guys too.

Am I completely barking? o_O

All the best, David
This video just popped up on YouTube:
It gives a very good idea of what is involved in building a new bike, and all the things you have to sort out, David. It's not easy, is it?*!

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
"we went to Taiwan and started a bike company" is a tad pessimistic. It does not matter where you get your bikes built nowadays, Taiwan, Cambodia (Halfords), Vietnam (Merida) the competition is ferocious in all segments of the market, you have to have vision and drive to succeed. Manufacturing (or assembling) is a small portion of the business. Assembly cost represents about 5%-7% of the value of my bikes.