Help me choose please!

Mogberi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2017
Durham
I am just retired from a busy job and want to keep active without burning myself out. Hence the interest in ebikes. Problem is choosing the right one because every internet 'best electric bike' site comes up with completely different names and recommendations. So far I have identified four that interest me - KTM Macina Cross 9, Giant Quick-E+, Cityzen and of course GTECH which is much cheaper. Durham is quite hilly and I like the idea of a sporty hybrid rather than a bulky city commute. Any help to make a quick decision MUCH appreciated. Other suggestions also welcome. I have been advised to add height and weight info. ie, Six foot tall and 15 stone.

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I am just retired from a busy job and want to keep active without burning myself out. Hence the interest in ebikes. Problem is choosing the right one because every internet 'best electric bike' site comes up with completely different names and recommendations. So far I have identified four that interest me - KTM Macina Cross 9, Giant Quick-E+, Cityzen and of course GTECH which is much cheaper. Durham is quite hilly and I like the idea of a sporty hybrid rather than a bulky city commute. Any help to make a quick decision MUCH appreciated. Other suggestions also welcome.
If you come to quick decision you will have done better then me.

I was looking for over two years, it's important to test ride as many different types as you can. I changed my mind from my first thoughts of what I wanted, also spent more doing it but have never regretted doing so.

Choose wisely and you will have years of pleasure riding your bike.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Mogberi, I couldn't agree more with Croxden. Test riding is the key. I've been to Durham and it's lovely - but those HILLS! I suggest test riding a Yamaha and Bosch Cx. I think you'll have to avoid hub gears because the drive has to have a reduced torque profile. You are welcome to visit our highly regarded York store to test ride many models that will be suitable. You can count on John for good sound advice. Mention you're a pedelec forum member to get a better deal.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Don't make a quick decision, as that could be the road to disappointment.

Go out and try as many different bikes as you can. Have some fun doing it, do some homework on what you specifically want, and then what you need, then you'll be making a far better informed decision.

I was surprised at the highly rated bikes I didn't like, and the one I didn't expect to like was very nearly the one I went for.

Gaz

• Agree
Reactions: JuicyBike

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
The best thing you do is ride most of the brands on the market cheap ones to expensive ones and then think about what you like and what feels right for you what could be right for someone could be wrong for someone else completely

It like a pair of shoes everyone has different size feet and you have to buy the right size to suit you it the same with e-bikes

For example a few months a go i had a go on a yahama motor and personally didn't like it at all and i would never buy one at all i didn't
like the assistance levels at all

I'm currently using a Bosch system which i really enjoy i couldn't use anything else at the moment and it suits my needs perfectly

So what ever you do don't just rush out and buy something and a few month down the line you try something else and want to buy another
brand or model

i just thought i would let you know the after market for e-bikes is very poor and you won't get much money for one at all because it has been used

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
All for making the right decision, but I think I'd rather make the wrong one, sell and buy again, rather than wait 2 years.

But then again, I'm a buy in haste type of person :D and it all depends on the amount of disposable income available at the time.

Mogberi

Apr 22, 2017
Durham
Don't make a quick decision, as that could be the road to disappointment.

Go out and try as many different bikes as you can. Have some fun doing it, do some homework on what you specifically want, and then what you need, then you'll be making a far better informed decision.

I was surprised at the highly rated bikes I didn't like, and the one I didn't expect to like was very nearly the one I went for.

Gaz
I do want to get started quickly rather than waste the summer looking round. Of course its sensible to be cautious but I would at least like to get advice on 5-10 or so which would be good to try. Bearing in mind its country trails rather than city commuting that I want to do.

Mogberi

Apr 22, 2017
Durham
All for making the right decision, but I think I'd rather make the wrong one, sell and buy again, rather than wait 2 years.

But then again, I'm a buy in haste type of person :D and it all depends on the amount of disposable income available at the time.
I agree with your philosophy.

D

Deleted member 4366

I guarantee that you won't find "the best" electric bike from an internet search. Nearly everything that comes up on Google is because someone paid for it to come to the top of the list, and then those making the lists all have a commercial interest of some sort.

Basically, if you can't or don't want to fix things yourself, go to your local ebike shop and buy whatever takes your fancy.

It's probably not a good idea to buy an expensive bike (£1500+) online, unless the seller has a system for returning the bike for service/fixing. Most of the bikes below that price are easy to fix yourself with some help from here if you need it.

Country trails and light-weight hybrids don't quite match my paradigms unless you mean country roads. Can you clarify what you mean?

• Agree
Reactions: Perseus

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think the OP means rutted roads.
He'll need a good suspension fork and that rules out the Gtech.

Mogberi

Apr 22, 2017
Durham
I guarantee that you won't find "the best" electric bike from an internet search. Nearly everything that comes up on Google is because someone paid for it to come to the top of the list, and then those making the lists all have a commercial interest of some sort.

Basically, if you can't or don't want to fix things yourself, go to your local ebike shop and buy whatever takes your fancy.

It's probably not a good idea to buy an expensive bike (£1500+) online, unless the seller has a system for returning the bike for service/fixing. Most of the bikes below that price are easy to fix yourself with some help from here if you need it.

Country trails and light-weight hybrids don't quite match my paradigms unless you mean country roads. Can you clarify what you mean?
That's good advice. Local bike shops do KTM, Kalkoff, Giant and Cube. slightly further away are dealers for Raleigh, Cityzen, Freego, Haibike etc. as regards surface country roads as well as old (unsurfaced) railway lines is what I mean. Is that clearer. Not rough terrain.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
All those bikes are good makes...you'll know the one you like as soon as you start riding it....I agree with d8veh... find a local bike shop, test some and buy there, You will then have bought into a support system.

Know very little about Cityzen brand. Freego is a notch down from the other brands. Kalkhoff have had motor issues, but we are being told its being addressed.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I've had a Freego Eagle for 5 years now and never had a problem with it. It's the 16ah battery and I still get around 30 miles (not dared to go any further). The motor is not spectacular and now a bit weak on some hills, but that is probably down to the battery, but for general use in not too hilly conditions it is fine. I believe the new ones have better components, so if there is somewhere nearby maybe worth a look.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I have test ridden four ebikes in 24 hours. Giant Quick E-1+ was good but for me the pick of the bunch was the Cube Reaction hybrid 500. I think that may well be my final choice
Cube get very good reviews and aren't over priced.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK