Help me choose please!

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
The cube has £10 tyres on it, what quality is everything else ?
Seriously, your judging the other components by something that everyone changes on every bike after buying ? The bike must be crap, it's got a £2 bell on it lol

• :D
Reactions: Gringo and Gaz

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the batt and motor costs £1400 if you had to buy them so the rest of the bike costs £600.

could the parts be better for the money then yes but the dealer has to make money somewhere and give 2 years warranty as well.

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
Not sure where you are but Wheelbase in Staveley were doing 15% off this week. Most popular bikes in the Cube range are on up to a month delivery, best check with dealers.
Many bikes in a price range are very similar. If you compare the Kalkhoff and Cube range you will find that the bikes in a similar price range tend to have the same forks, gear sets, brakes etc.
Ref the Kalkhoff motors, all the ones I looked at had the Bosch motor which is the same as the Cube.

Mogberi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2017
Durham
I think the cube is well specced for the money

If it was my £2k I'd get the slightly 'touring' version of your choice, this one http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Cross-Hybrid-Pro-Allroad-500-2017-Electric-Bike_97468.htm

It's a shame you couldn't of used one of their £300 off easter vouchers (£2k+) last week on the Tredz site. I think they do regular discount codes
Good luck
I did not see the touring one but will go back and have a look on Monday. Either way I think I will go for a Cube bike.

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
I concur with egroover. Mudguards and rack essential for your average uk user. Suspension fork for the higher speeds you maintain on rough ground and terrible roads! ebikes become your car and you find you use it more than you planned.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Seriously, your judging the other components by something that everyone changes on every bike after buying ? The bike must be crap, it's got a £2 bell on it lol
Yes it says everything about the bike, I wore out my first set of tyres.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I still have the original tyres and never needed to change them, over 9000 miles on the Delite.
Quality bikes cost more because of the use of quality parts.
Everyone does not change tyres or have a mobile phone, why do you assume such things? Most people might, doesn't say there're right. More voted for Brexit didn't they?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The cube is good buy. Components are well specced for what you need it for. Deore are good midrange shifters. The brakes are lower end but a excellent when matched with 180mm disks and should prove reliable. An air fork would be nice but at this price you can't have everything. Most importantly it has brilliant motor with best battery.

Fit a Fox 32 fork and you would have excellent MTB.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I still have the original tyres and never needed to change them, over 9000 miles on the Delite.
Quality bikes cost more because of the use of quality parts.
Everyone does not change tyres or have a mobile phone, why do you assume such things? Most people might, doesn't say there're right. More voted for Brexit didn't they?
You're comparing a Delite which retail at £4k+ with a bike that's half that price ? Quality bikes as you put it do cost much more because they use more expensive components, you don't get that for free you pay for it in the cost of the bike. I wouldn't expect to change the tyres on a £4k+ bike either. If Cube put Marathon Plus tyres on it's bikes they have to charge an extra £60 on the price of the bike, I'd be happy to have the choice if I want to change them or not. The point I was trying to make is that the rest of the componentry is good/excellent at this price point.
I shouldn't of generalised with the term everyone, I thought it would of been obvious this didn't apply to very top end bikes (as yours)

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Yes it says everything about the bike, I wore out my first set of tyres.
So hows the £10 Schwalbes on the Cube any different to the £10 Schwalbe Rapid Robs they put on the Haibike Sduro SL29 ?

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
Having just gone through the purchase process I do think there's a real opportunity for one of the manufacturers to take a leaf out of Mini's book and offer a custom bike service.
When you buy a Mini you basically just choose your body style and motor then can alter almost everything else.
In the bike world, suppose you could settle on a frame and motor then choose to upgrade your saddle, add a suspension seat post, better brakes, forks, gearset, lighting, add a rack, maybe (in the case of Bosch,) upgrade the computer, add an adjustable stem, and finally choose a colour.
I'd have had a better saddle, forks and computer with a different colour and would have probably spent a few hundred pounds extra.
And yes, of course I can do all of these things later but will end up with a pile of unwanted components.
I predict that the first manufacturer to really get behind this concept will drive their average selling price up by 10 - 25%

Reactions: E-Wheels

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Having just gone through the purchase process I do think there's a real opportunity for one of the manufacturers to take a leaf out of Mini's book and offer a custom bike service.
When you buy a Mini you basically just choose your body style and motor then can alter almost everything else.
In the bike world, suppose you could settle on a frame and motor then choose to upgrade your saddle, add a suspension seat post, better brakes, forks, gearset, lighting, add a rack, maybe (in the case of Bosch,) upgrade the computer, add an adjustable stem, and finally choose a colour.
I'd have had a better saddle, forks and computer with a different colour and would have probably spent a few hundred pounds extra.
And yes, of course I can do all of these things later but will end up with a pile of unwanted components.
I predict that the first manufacturer to really get behind this concept will drive their average selling price up by 10 - 25%
The idea comes at a price though

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
The fact is that it's the marginal gains that make profits for manufacturers. I used to reckon that if I could increase my turnover by 10% then it would add up to 40% to my net profit. So, when I bought my Mini I remember adding a wooden steering wheel for about £100. I bet that only cost £25 to add to the package.

Malcolm Stephenson

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2016
Yes but you start speccing cars up and the lead time increase

Just ordered a new fabia and delivery is quoted as November

Most people want a bike there and then and manufacturers certainly won't want to offer you the option of taking there seat off and putting Fred bloggs seat on

That would be down to the shop selling to stick bare frames motors etc and building it for you instore and warranty wise would be a.nightmare i suspect

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
Same with Mini, you can purchase one from stock if you want, but most people want to spec their own car. Most parts on most bikes seem to be bought in.
It is more complicated to administer and takes a higher degree of organisation by the manufacturer and the suppliers, but based on my experience anyone offering it would pick up plenty of extra market share in addition to raising the average price of their final orders.
But I agree that it will probably never happen and that there will still be a brisk trade on eBay for the discarded bits as purchases upgrade!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: Gaz

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tho ktm bikes on here said no reason why they wont sell a frame so if you can get one of those and a Yamaha motor and batt it could be done.

if i have to buy a new bike all id want is the frame rear sus motor and batt.;)