Help needed for disabling PAS

TangoGate

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2019
Greetings folks! I was given an older ebike that uses pedal assist. I'm hoping to get rid of it :)
So I opened up to see if I can figure things out. I think I need help.
(1) I opened up the light casing and saw a set of connector was disconnected... What is it for?
(2) I disconnected the PAS cable from the controller but throttle still won't go on its own (last pic cable I'm holding).

Would really hope to be able to just use bike without the PAS. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Greetings folks! I was given an older ebike that uses pedal assist. I'm hoping to get rid of it :)
So I opened up to see if I can figure things out. I think I need help.
(1) I opened up the light casing and saw a set of connector was disconnected... What is it for?
(2) I disconnected the PAS cable from the controller but throttle still won't go on its own (last pic cable I'm holding).

Would really hope to be able to just use bike without the PAS. Any help is appreciated!
I don't know how wiley the police are where you live, but you do understand that within the EU, what you are trying to do is illegal, and you could get a fine and lose the bike....

Unless you register and insure it as a motorbike/Moped....

I see quite a few asking a similar question, or they want to increase the speed above the legal limit, which also leaves you open to prosecution.....

Just saying, your choice either way.....

regards

Andy

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Does the throttle work with PAS connected from a standstill? if not, then the throttle needs the PAS signal in order to work and you can't disconnect it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
1. Most likely will either be throttle or speed sensor plug it in and see.

Easiest option to disable Pas is disconnect it or or increase the air gap between sensor and magnet disc located on the bottom bracket.

TangoGate

Feb 14, 2019
I don't know how wiley the police are where you live, but you do understand that within the EU, what you are trying to do is illegal, and you could get a fine and lose the bike....

Unless you register and insure it as a motorbike/Moped....

I see quite a few asking a similar question, or they want to increase the speed above the legal limit, which also leaves you open to prosecution.....

Just saying, your choice either way.....

regards

Andy
Thanks for info Andy, we're on a farm :)

TangoGate

Feb 14, 2019

Easiest option to disable Pas is disconnect it or or increase the air gap between sensor and magnet disc located on the bottom bracket.
Thanks Nealh... I'm just paranoia that I might fry something because I'm not even sure the male (black, red, yellow) & female (green, blue, black) sockets are meant for each other :) There's a similar socket but plugged in with male (white, blue, grey) & female (brown, purple, white).
I traced them and the currently connected socket originates from the throttle handle area but it's actually yellow, white, blue (soldered to aforementioned blue grey white). The unconnected yellow, red, black also originates from throttle handle area but soldered to red, black, green.
I know it's a mess now that I've tried to explain it :-(

Also, there seems to be no magnets... Just a disc with one cut out piece. See pic. I followed the cable to the controller and disconnected it but throttle still not independent :-/

Thanks for putting up with this long discourse... Really would like to get rid of PAS.

Attachments

TangoGate

Feb 14, 2019

Does the throttle work with PAS connected from a standstill? if not, then the throttle needs the PAS signal in order to work and you can't disconnect it.
I sure hope mine can be disabled. Thanks!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wiring connection colours are all over the place so defining which is which & what is what is hard without a schematic diagram.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You need to clarify some thing does the throttle work at all ?

TangoGate

Feb 14, 2019
You need to clarify some thing does the throttle work at all ?
Nope, the throttle does nothing when I twist it at any time. I have to pedal and then the motor kicks in... After which I have to continue pedalling it every so often else the motor switches off.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Also, there seems to be no magnets... Just a disc with one cut out piece. See pic. I followed the cable to the controller and disconnected it but throttle still not independent :-/
The PAS disc will have magnets maybe 5 or 8.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nope, the throttle does nothing when I twist it at any time. I have to pedal and then the motor kicks in... After which I have to continue pedalling it every so often else the motor switches off.
That is how PAS works.

TangoGate

Feb 14, 2019
Friend who gave me the bike insisted that once upon a time long ago, the throttle worked.. it only stopped after he sent it in for some repair... Thereafter motor only kicks in when you pedal. Here's not sure if any errors were unplugged during repair.
The PAS disc will have magnets maybe 5 or 8.
Ok, I'm really sorry for being such a noob... Yes, I just wiped the disc and the are indeed 5 circle magnets!!!
So, what should I do next please? Thanks!

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks Nealh... I'm just paranoia that I might fry something because I'm not even sure the male (black, red, yellow) & female (green, blue, black) sockets are meant for each other :) There's a similar socket but plugged in with male (white, blue, grey) & female (brown, purple, white
Thanks for putting up with this long discourse... Really would like to get rid of PAS.
White wire usually indicates a speed connection so throttle or speed sensor.

Wire colouring used on some bikes often are very hard to understand esp when they appear random like yours, it is often a case of trying to piece together Asian logic !!

Red and blue I have seen used together as positive a strange opp colour combo often Brown I used .
Yellow is often used as Gnd so the fact it marries with Black is nit unheard of so this pairing may well be Gnd.

That leaves a signal wire Green is a random colour so is probably the signal but marrying it to black for signal is another strange colour choice, but as yellow is used for Gnd it may be just odd (unlogical China colours use anything available).

For the plug that goes to the controller Green, Blue, Black use a meter to determine the 5v & Gnd line, probe the Blue & Black as I think these likely to be 5v & Gnd respectively. If they are correct you should see a voltage reading with no minus sign in front of it to donate correct polarity order.
The other plug end you need to trace it to identify where/what it actually is wired to and not just vaguely in the throttle area, same with the same type connected you need to be 100% sure to where they go to and for what.

Last edited:
Reactions: TangoGate

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Friend who gave me the bike insisted that once upon a time long ago, the throttle worked.. it only stopped after he sent it in for some repair... Thereafter motor only kicks in when you pedal. Here's not sure if any errors were unplugged during repair.

Ok, I'm really sorry for being such a noob... Yes, I just wiped the disc and the are indeed 5 circle magnets!!!
So, what should I do next please? Thanks!
Nothing much but until you get the throttle working it is the only option to propel the bike under leccy usage.
When or if you get the throttle working then the simplest option is to just disconnect pas line and leave all in place for any future use, so much easier then complete removal.

TangoGate

Feb 14, 2019
White wire usually indicates a speed connection so throttle or speed sensor.

Wire colouring used on some bikes often are very hard to understand esp when they appear random like yours, it is often a case of trying to piece together Asian logic !!

Red and blue I have seen used together as positive a strange opp colour combo often Brown I used .
Yellow is often used as Gnd so the fact it marries with Black is nit unheard of so this pairing may well be Gnd.

That leaves a signal wire Green is a random colour so is probably the signal but marrying it to black for signal is another strange colour choice, but as yellow is used for Gnd it may be just odd (unlogical China colours use anything available).

For the plug that goes to the controller Green, Blue, Black use a meter to determine the 5v & Gnd line, probe the Blue & Black as I think these likely to be 5v & Gnd respectively. If they are correct you should see a voltage reading with no minus sign in front of it to donate correct polarity order.
The other plug end you need to trace it to identify where/what it actually is wired to and not just vaguely in the throttle area, same with the same type connected you need to be 100% sure to where they go to and for what.
You are incredible... Thanks very much for the clear guidance. I followed your instructions and this is what I did:
I placed black probe of multimeter to the leftmost pin (green wire from controller) & red probe to the middle pin (blue wire from controller), and the reading is 5V with no negative sign. I also accidentally shorted these 2 pins & the motor started spinning for 1 second (I freaked out & I hope there's no damage).
Now, I've checked and the male end of socket goes to the throttle (which has 3 modes: low, medium & high speed).

Question: Will it be safe to plug in that disconnected socket? Anything else you think I should check before taking the plunge? :)

Attachments

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Sounds like you have cracked it then, shorting those wires will not have done any harm, you have just replicated what the throttle does, sending voltage down the signal wire. Sparks and/or magic smoke are the danger signs you have done something wrong.

TangoGate

Feb 14, 2019
Ok guys, I plugged in that disconnected socket and I now have the throttle working!!!

Thanks so much for all the assistance. I truly appreciate it! You folks are the absolute best!

Reactions: dr bob

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All you have to do now is disconnect the pas connection if you don't want to use it.