Help needed to choose first electric bicycle

bluejas101

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2013
Hi everyone, newbie to pedelecs so need help and guidance on the pit falls and issues to look out for when choosing an electric bicycle. I would like to use it for work and social use at the weekends. Work is about a 15 mile round trip and social use I would like an average range of about 25 miles.
I have searched the Internet and am looking at the Raleigh e- bikes. What would be a good bike to start with for around £1500 mark. I know that you can buy kits but this may be another project once I know what I am doing. I think therefore first bike will have to be off the shelf job or could I get a bike off the shelf that I would be able to upgrade as my needs change at a later date. My employer runs the cycle scheme where I can use salary sacrifice to purchase the electric bike and spread the cost over 12 months.
Any help and advise will be great fully appreciated to get me off on the right track.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Hi everyone, newbie to pedelecs so need help and guidance on the pit falls and issues to look out for when choosing an electric bicycle. I would like to use it for work and social use at the weekends. Work is about a 15 mile round trip and social use I would like an average range of about 25 miles.
I have searched the Internet and am looking at the Raleigh e- bikes. What would be a good bike to start with for around £1500 mark. I know that you can buy kits but this may be another project once I know what I am doing. I think therefore first bike will have to be off the shelf job or could I get a bike off the shelf that I would be able to upgrade as my needs change at a later date. My employer runs the cycle scheme where I can use salary sacrifice to purchase the electric bike and spread the cost over 12 months.
Any help and advise will be great fully appreciated to get me off on the right track.
check out the value you can spend on your c2w scheme. lots of schemes only allow £1000.
some dealers may let you pay the difference if over that , but some will not.
do you already ride a bike or are you returning to cycling.
will you be mainly on tarmac, or do you envisage going onto rough tracks ?
is it hilly where you live ?
do you want cross bar or step through frame ?
raleigh are now selling kalkhoff bikes in uk and these have a good reputation, but there are lots of others to consider.......
i personally think that buying local is a good idea in case of any issues........and get a bike that comes in different frame sizes so that you can get the correct fit.......

i am sure there will be lots more advice coming your way.......you need to go and test ride some bikes to see what suits you as opinions vary widely on what is a good bike.....
regards

sapper44

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2011
I cant say what bike you should buy as it what suits you personally.You need to trial a few to see how they feel.As for range it depends on how hilly your commute is what your body weight and fitness level etc etc.I have a Freego eagle with a 18amp battery my commute is hilly 11 mile round trip always use medium power setting and I am getting around 35 miles before I recharge might get another 5 miles but I er on the side of caution as it's a heavy bike to ride without assist.I enjoy my bike plenty of cycle tracks around mostly flat so get a good range as I don't need the assist so much.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Best advice is to try several bikes. Our best value bike is AVE CH Edition with 8 alfine hub gears and hydraulic brakes for £1299 normally £1799. Extra Energy rated this bike as very good. Available in stepthrough or crossbar. Max range of 50 miles and average range should be around 30 miles depending on terrain, rider weight, assistance level used etc. The bike has a torque sensor so feels quite natural to ride.

AVE electric bikes folding bikes

Also have AVE CH Tour which will be £999 (Normally £1499)
Specification available from link below
CHYBRID

Good luck with the search. Happy to help if you have any questions.

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
If you are commuting every day, you may want to take particular care over the quality of the components.

I used to think it mattered little; that what differentiated different quality (and therefore price) levels was basically weight, which of course is less of a consideration on an e-bike.

However, on the French forum over here, members consistently report that longevity is also a factor.
A specific example I raised elsewhere are Shimano hubs drawn from their Acera range. They can break with heavy usage. The Deore and above ranges seem much hardier as well as lighter.

Hope this helps.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you are commuting every day, you may want to take particular care over the quality of the components.

I used to think it mattered little; that what differentiated different quality (and therefore price) levels was basically weight, which of course is less of a consideration on an e-bike.

However, on the French forum over here, members consistently report that longevity is also a factor.
A specific example I raised elsewhere are Shimano hubs drawn from their Acera range. They can break with heavy usage. The Deore and above ranges seem much hardier as well as lighter.

Hope this helps.
That's true, but you have to keep these things in perspective. A Shimano Acera rear mech costs less than a tyre to replace. Nobody complains about tyres wearing out and it's a certainty that that will happen, but only a small chance that your rear mech will break. Personally, I don't believe that you have anything to worry about with cheaper bikes and components. They're all warranted. Cheap bikes work and do the job, and more expensive bikes might do it better, but they follow the rule of diminishing returns. Paying twice as much doesn't get you a bike twice as good. The top of the range Haibike didn't go any faster than a Kudos Ariba, nor was it any easier to pedal. Maybe it went a few miles further. The nice suspension adds about £2000 to the price, and a seat that wangs you in the bo!!ocks when you pull a lever probably accounts for another £500. For some people, it will be important to have these things, so they'll be happy to pay - the same as some people want to pay thousands for their B & O hifi system, because for them the difference is important.

The cheapest way to save weight (for most) is not to buy an expensive bike. Try eating a few less pies first, in which case you save money as well as reduce weight, and you can save potentially a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluejas101

Apr 7, 2013
Hi and Thank you for your replies and advise. I have spoken to my employers and they are signed up to the cycle scheme and have said they do not have a limit so long as my manager is willing to sign off the cost. I have looked at Raleigh and the spoken to Xipi about there bikes. I take on board your recommendations to source the bike locally as after sales and service need to be taken into account. Regarding upgrades how difficult is it to upgrade the raleigh brand of electric bicycle's. Also with braked are disc's really an issue over V brakes when it comes to stopping. When it comes to the terrain that I will need the bike for there are a couple of really steep hills, otherwise it is mainly flat route that I would take to work.
Regards Jas....

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
and a seat that wangs you in the bo!!ocks when you pull a lever probably accounts for another £500.
Dave, I've not seen one of these accessories. Are you sure they are supposed to wang you?

Sounds a somewhat counter productive product.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Hi and Thank you for your replies and advise. I have spoken to my employers and they are signed up to the cycle scheme and have said they do not have a limit so long as my manager is willing to sign off the cost. I have looked at Raleigh and the spoken to Xipi about there bikes. I take on board your recommendations to source the bike locally as after sales and service need to be taken into account. Regarding upgrades how difficult is it to upgrade the raleigh brand of electric bicycle's. Also with braked are disc's really an issue over V brakes when it comes to stopping. When it comes to the terrain that I will need the bike for there are a couple of really steep hills, otherwise it is mainly flat route that I would take to work.
Regards Jas....
higher priced ebikes will generally have disc brakes which will be an advantage in the wet and on steep downhill....but v brakes can also be ok when adjusted correctly.
cant think of a reason why you would need to update a top of range raleigh......
lots of people now claim that crank drive bikes are better on steep uphill....but mixed reports just coming in from an ebike open day where a good hub drive bike was well praised for climbing.....
it really all depends on so many factors that only you as the rider can check out for yourself. if you are considering spending £1500 or more you will have a good choice of very good ebikes.
if you spend under a grand then you will be making some compromises on component quality which may be perfectly adequate for your needs. just get yourself to the bike shops and have a good look and test ride . you dont say what area you are in.........?
regards

D

Deleted member 4366

Dave, I've not seen one of these accessories. Are you sure they are supposed to wang you?

Sounds a somewhat counter productive product.
The seat-post has a spring in it and a locking mechanism that's released by a lever on the handlebars, They told me to raise my bum and pull the lever once I was going, which I did, whereupon I nearly fell off and then suffered excruciating pain for the rest of the lap. I think they had a good laugh from it anyway. Maybe it was revenge for my April fool's trick. When I got back, they told me I should have released the lever before lifting my bum, which I had already figured out about one microsecond after I pulled the lever. I think it would be a bit safer if it had damping like those office chairs that work in a similar way. So. that's what you get for £4100? I was going to say that having such a device is better than a kick up the backside, but it wasn't: It was exactly the same!

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
AVE CH Edition has hydraulic disc brakes so bike is good value. Best approach is normally to do some research so you have a reasonable idea of what you want and then try some bikes.

ady347

Pedelecer
Oct 30, 2012
I decided to buy a second hand powabyke euro 24 speed for £250 to see if it was something I really wanted, that was 6 months/2500 miles ago, and all I have done is replace batteries when I first bought it and replaced 4 sets of brakes (they eat pads!) and it's still goin strong so sticking with it. I knew I could get my money back on the purchase if it wasn't for me.
Only thing I hate about my bike is potholes rattle through to my bones and the sla batteries are heavy! I ride a 20 mile round trip 5 nites a week (work 10pm till 5am) and except for 1 nite when I took the car I have rode my bike in snow, tempatures well into the minus high winds and rain lol.

D

Deleted member 4366

d8ven hattie was asking around for a james bond ejector type seat to fit a bike ,;)
Tell her that I've got a feeling that that Haibike might be more appealing to the girls.

bluejas101

Apr 7, 2013
higher priced ebikes will generally have disc brakes which will be an advantage in the wet and on steep downhill....but v brakes can also be ok when adjusted correctly.
cant think of a reason why you would need to update a top of range raleigh......
lots of people now claim that crank drive bikes are better on steep uphill....but mixed reports just coming in from an ebike open day where a good hub drive bike was well praised for climbing.....
it really all depends on so many factors that only you as the rider can check out for yourself. if you are considering spending £1500 or more you will have a good choice of very good ebikes.
if you spend under a grand then you will be making some compromises on component quality which may be perfectly adequate for your needs. just get yourself to the bike shops and have a good look and test ride . you dont say what area you are in.........?
regards
Hi I think it's time to visit the bike shop. I live in Luton and Dunstable area in Bedfordshire. I have spoken to work collegues who inform that a new bike shop has opened in Dunstable that I will visit as well as the cycle life shop in Dunstable. I am looking at the Raleigh Leeds model as the bike of choice. I will test ride a few first. If anyone knows of bike shops to recommend please feel free and I will give them a visit. I am old school who would rather put customer service over price but still it has to be a price that suits my circumstances.
Kind regards to all
Jas....

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Tell her that I've got a feeling that that Haibike might be more appealing to the girls.
Lol. ... perhaps if one's nuts are compressed tightly against one's nether regions by garments of a certain stretchy material, oft acquired at eye-watering expense and formerly a favourite of Dolly Parton and Olivia Newton John, cushioned by a sewn-in pad made from a material that has a dual use in the car polishing trade which that laps up the front over one's sensitive zone, ball ache can be circumvented ? :p

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not ball ache you get from that spring-loaded seat. It fires like a cannon straight at your most sensitive parts. I doesn't half make your eyes water. Martin said that you only ever do it once, which sounds about right.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The main problem with ejection seats is the Zero Zero factor most likely to be encountered in cycling.
you therfore require a top range system to enable D8aveh to achive suffucent height for deployment of the parachute.
Hovever we could russle something up with some pyrodex (from the local gun shop) and a power kite to reduce the decent rate. if money is tight.. i have a spare 5 meter one for testing ;-)

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
The main problem with ejection seats is the Zero Zero factor most likely to be encountered in cycling.
you therfore require a top range system to enable D8aveh to achive suffucent height for deployment of the parachute.
Hovever we could russle something up with some pyrodex (from the local gun shop) and a power kite to reduce the decent rate. if money is tight.. i have a spare 5 meter one for testing ;-)
Or maybe one of these impact suits ?
Dainese airbag suit for 2010 - YouTube

bluejas101

Apr 7, 2013
Hi I just wanted to thank a few people who have helped me in the last few days. Special thanks go out to Tim and his team at 50cycles.com who have been great. Also to Andy and his wife for letting me come round and try the Kalkhoff Agattu C8 HS. I really liked the bike and have put one on order and am waiting a voucher from cycle scheme to buy it.
Again cheers to everyone.....