HELP NEEDED

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Took connector off can see black wire and red wire. I also have an orange wire, brown wire, blue wire, green wire. Can someone tell me what I'm meant to do with these?
Those wires mean bad news, the bike uses a CAN bus system. So comms between battery/controller & display means you can't use just any battery, the system is similar to Bosch, Yamaha & Steps meaning a third party battery is a no no.
It is a locked in /closed system.

It might be possible to rip everything out and put in a complete new electrics kit, though depends on the PAS sensing whether it is TS or cadence. If TS that might have to come out as well as that will be CAN bus related.

Josh1401

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2020
Those wires mean bad news, the bike uses a CAN bus system. So comms between battery/controller & display means you can't use just any battery, the system is similar to Bosch, Yamaha & Steps meaning a third party battery is a no no.
It is a locked in /closed system.

It might be possible to rip everything out and put in a complete new electrics kit, though depends on the PAS sensing whether it is TS or cadence. If TS that might have to come out as well as that will be CAN bus related.
Would it be worth keeping and paying for it to be done professionally or should I just cut my losses with it ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A new battery/charger is about £700 , the price is about right for a system that utilises hand shaking protocols, non CAN bus ebikes you can buy at least two batteries with more capacity.

The locked in system has you by the Googlies because they aren't fixable with a standard battery.
The A2B is another German bike, they love the Can bus.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To get the bike working price wise you still need to spend £300 - £400 on a battery and a new non oem electrics kit, you may well need a new BB and chain set. Before even thinking of spending money the BB bracket size needs to be confirmed as a standard 34mm English thread type and the motor wire connector needs looking at to see if it also is a standard fitting.
I think as SW has mentioned not worth it if you can't do all the work your self.

A bargain buy is not so once the vital parts have been removed and begs the question why some one would do this on this type of bike.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Did you see the charger, the battery, and did you see their other bike?

I'm afraid it still sounds fishy to me.

The guy's nicked the bike, found out already it's all but unfixable so is prepared to let it go for whatever he can get for it, in this case fifty quid.

The fact that it's brand new adds to the suspicion.

The seller could have bought the bike legitimately complete, then decided to keep the battery and charger from his £1,100 purchase and sell the bike for £50 - when he'd be much better off selling the brand new bike he bought he all of sudden doesn't like complete.

But it's far more likely the bike is the subject of a shop or wholesaler burglary where they've nicked a load of bikes and chargers, and this one is left over as a bike they don't have/cannot match a charger to.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
So he apparently sold the guy a new ebike which would otherwise cost up to £2000 new,

for £50 but kept the battery and charger for his "other bike" so rendering the £50 bike unusable while with a working battery and charger the £2000 bike could have been legitimately sold for ...?

Yep, something doesn't add up...

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Ok thank for clarifying, usually when someone mentions buying a bike without the battery/charger alarm bells start to ring.
I feel strongly that it is always correct to warn someone of such possibilities!
Better safe than sorry.......we used to say!!
Andy

Reactions: mike killay