Help needed !

davedoubledecks

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 4, 2023
Hi all new here
Looking for some advice on a cheap violamart conversion kit to test the water
I purchase a second user kit on ebay to try building a bike that was the first mistake as the wires were shot....all mended now but nothing from the motor...throttle kit shows power but nothing from the motor...tested the hall sensor and seems to be giving output on all 3 but not turning wheel ...could it be the control unit ?
Any help would be grest

davedoubledecks

May 4, 2023
Hi all new here
Looking for some advice on a cheap violamart conversion kit to test the water
I purchase a second user kit on ebay to try building a bike that was the first mistake as the wires were shot....all mended now but nothing from the motor...throttle kit shows power but nothing from the motor...tested the hall sensor and seems to be giving output on all 3 but not turning wheel ...could it be the control unit ?
Any help would be grest
The motor had some moisture in it but no real damage etc
Is there a way of testing the motor without the controller?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The motor had some moisture in it but no real damage etc
Is there a way of testing the motor without the controller?
No. The problem is unlikely to be the motor. Have you got a throttle to test it. If so, disconnect the brakes and PAS from the controller to test it.

davedoubledecks

May 4, 2023
Thanks for the reply....I've tried that but nothing from it
..the screen lights up on the throttle control and shows power but nothing to the motor

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What were the Hall results ?
Did try turning the motor wheel slowly by hand to check them switching ?

One can try a mosfet check to see if the controller is not suffering from a short.

Last edited:

davedoubledecks

May 4, 2023
No. The problem is unlikely to be the motor. Have you got a throttle to test it. If so, disconnect the brakes and PAS from the controller to test it.
I've tried all of that but still no output just the lcd display on the throttle

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I think we need some details about what was wrong with the wiring and what you did to fix it.

davedoubledecks

May 4, 2023
I think we need some details about what was wrong with the wiring and what you did to fix it.
ok so when i got the kit there was a a bit of cable damage on the spindle and the cable had been taped up..i removed and found the yellow hall sensor wire was broken so i split the motor, found some moisture inside, cleaned everything, shortened the cable a little then re soldered all of the joints and re-enforced the cable on the spindle with heat shrink and replaced the spring etc...all seemed to test out ok for continuity
cheers
andrew

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If a phase wore touched a hall wire, it could wipe out the CPU on the controller. You'd need an ebike tester to check that. They cost about £10 on Ebay, but brobably best just to buy a new controller set unless you might be testing more ebikes in the future. I'd ditch that stupid throttle thing and get a normal thumb throttle and controller with LCD.

davedoubledecks

May 4, 2023
If a phase wore touched a hall wire, it could wipe out the CPU on the controller. You'd need an ebike tester to check that. They cost about £10 on Ebay, but brobably best just to buy a new controller set unless you might be testing more ebikes in the future. I'd ditch that stupid throttle thing and get a normal thumb throttle and controller with LCD.
ok thanks for the reply...what would you recommend for controller, a voilamart or something else ...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Kt 9 mosfet with a nice lcd display, I personally keep the disoay simple and use the well regarded lcd3 though there are quite a few to choose from. The lcd4 took my fancy but it prooved to be a little intermittent in use so I opted to revert to my trusted LCD3. The fancy colour displays don't do much for me.

davedoubledecks

May 4, 2023
Kt 9 mosfet with a nice lcd display, I personally keep the disoay simple and use the well regarded lcd3 though there are quite a few to choose from. The lcd4 took my fancy but it prooved to be a little intermittent in use so I opted to revert to my trusted LCD3. The fancy colour displays don't do much for me.
Great, are these available in the UK or from China?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I buy from China either TBK or various AliExp sellers, delivery is often only 14 days.
UK resellers ask to much money so I simply cut out another middle man.

davedoubledecks

May 4, 2023
O
I buy from China either TBK or various AliExp sellers, delivery is often only 14 days.
UK resellers ask to much money so I simply cut out another middle man.
Ok cheers not sure if it's all scrap anyway lol as the motor doesn't seem to test out

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
O
Ok cheers not sure if it's all scrap anyway lol as the motor doesn't seem to test out
If You're unsure about that, it'll be worth buying an ebike tester, which tests both the controller and motor: