Help please ebike insurance Raleigh Motus Tour hub

JoEe

Just Joined
Apr 7, 2023
Taken an age to decide which bike through cycle2work scheme & gone for this one 500w battery. Just started to look for insurance & so far all state 250w & 15.5 mph restriction. Does that mean that you cannot have any bike over 250w (which I think all those I was looking at are over) with insurance? Without going down the route of registering as a moped which appears too complicated? I'm confused that noone has mentioned this in all my searches that uou cannot get insurance? Any advice much appreciated as I'm now considering cancelling the order, if I can't get insured? MTIA

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I think you're getting confused over the battery capacity (500w) and the power of the motor (250w). Your Raleigh e-bike will be fully compliant with UK law, meeting all requirements as it's the motor which is rated as 250w continuous, and speed capped at 15.5mph assisted speed. The 500w capacity of the battery just determines how far you'll be able to travel assisted; there's no restriction on the capacity of that and 500w is a good size for most.

It'll be perfectly fine to insure it through any company that offers e-bike insurance.

JoEe

Just Joined
Apr 7, 2023
I think you're getting confused over the battery capacity (500w) and the power of the motor (250w). Your Raleigh e-bike will be fully compliant with UK law, meeting all requirements as it's the motor which is rated as 250w continuous, and speed capped at 15.5mph assisted speed. The 500w capacity of the battery just determines how far you'll be able to travel assisted; there's no restriction on the capacity of that and 500w is a good size for most.

It'll be perfectly fine to insure it through any company that offers e-bike insurance.
Thankyou, yes very confused and panicked unable to get insurance. Thankyou for clarifying for me, very much appreciated

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
I also have a Raleigh Motus and the easiest way to insure it against theft is to add it to your home insurance. You should be able to include cover for when the bike is away from home as long as it’s locked to an immovable abject when not in use. Another source, but one I’ve not tried, is to join one of the cycling organisations that do insurance for their members.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I have both our Raleigh Motus bikes on our house insurance. I was surprised by a quite low extra cost on the policy.

I specifically asked for this in a phone call to the insurer who was happy to discuss.

geoff967

Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2019
I have both our Raleigh Motus bikes on our house insurance. I was surprised by a quite low extra cost on the policy.

I specifically asked for this in a phone call to the insurer who was happy to discuss.
try Barclays insurance 3000 cover for 25 by taking insurance for house online and then deducting house insurance after adding bike

Reactions: guerney

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Also, battery capacity is not quoted in Watts, Watts is "power".

Battery capacity is quoted as Watt.hour which is the amount of "energy" it could hold. The measure of so much power for so long a time, just as your home mains energy is quoted kWhr.