Help required to wire up LCD S866 display if possible please.

Mr.Linnet

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2023
I have purchased, possibly in haste but had a voucher available that was near an expiry date, a S866 LCD unit ( photo attached showing S866 and plug).

There are no dedicated plugs available in my controller to plug in the LCD unit, the attached photo shows those plugs and connectors presently not in use. Has anyone else tried connecting one of these units to their controller? I have a single green controller wire marked instruments which could possibly be the same as the green in the LCD plug. I have a single purple wire marked LCD display but there is no purple wire in the plug.

I have also attached a photo of the booklet that accompanied the S866, the wiring set up being titled instrument outlet.

Would appreciate some help and advice please ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It is called incompatibility, generally all advice is to buy the controller and display as a pair if you are not 100% sure.

The display is uart/digital , the controller isn't and is anologue .

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You can't connect it. Your controller doesn't support data communication. It's a dumb one.

Mr.Linnet

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2023
It is called incompatibility, generally all advice is to buy the controller and display as a pair if you are not 100% sure.

The display is uart/digital , the controller isn't and is anologue .
Many thanks for your reply, as I am still learning about electric bikes and their workings could I ask ( and please dont think I am doubting what you are saying ) how can you tell ? what is in the photos that you recognise to confirm the display is uart/digital and the controller is analogue?

Thank you.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Quite simply the controller wiring is basic and supports basic three speed .

Always ask first and post pics before willy nilly buying parts as it all adds up cost wise.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for your reply saneagle..........I think I am the dumb one though for buying it without researching first ;)
Mistakes are easily made without the knowledge , it doesn't mean you are dumb.
You are simply entering a world of unknowns until you gain the knowledge.

A numb nut is simply someone who doesn't listen or heed the advice given.

As to your display I believe you need a brainwave controller for compatibility.

For the most part we always recommend the better KT products though they are dearer at abpout twice the price of the more basic stuff, though typically < £100 they aren't expensive for a better ride feel and power delivery.

Mr.Linnet

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2023
Mistakes are easily made without the knowledge , it doesn't mean you are dumb.
You are simply entering a world of unknowns until you gain the knowledge.

A numb nut is simply someone who doesn't listen or heed the advice given.

As to your display I believe you need a brainwave controller for compatibility.

For the most part we always recommend the better KT products though they are dearer at abpout twice the price of the more basic stuff, though typically < £100 they aren't expensive for a better ride feel and power delivery.
Many thanks for your two replies Nealh, your help and assistance is greatly appreciated, its all about school days for me at the moment.

I have just carried out a brushless front wheel modification on my old Powabyke and with the kind help and assistance of some Esteemed Pedelecers I have manged to get it up and running. A new more powerfull lithium battery is my main priority at the moment so I will mothball the S866 for a later date. I do have a working waterproof cycle speedometer fitted which is operated via a magnet mounted on the front spoke, so I am reasonably content. As mentioned previously the S866 was purchased with good intentions but hastily due to the voucher expiry date looming fast.

Many thanks again ;)