Help! Help & Suggestions Please

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Yes sorry my mistake I copied that in cyclebuddys post all this is getting me confused
I only used the example of my own folding Fiido D11 in post #12 to illustrate that e-bikes with full throttles are available, even if not legal.

I considered the Rambletta and Stow-E-Way (among others) when I looked to buy my own folding e-bike, but chose the Fiido D11 over all others because my purpose is to commute using trains: The Fiido trolleys better (pushes along a station platform when folded), is lighter in weight for carrying/manhandling (17kg), and has a larger battery (11.6Ah). Those factors were the most important, overriding factors for me, but don't apply (won't be as important) to you.

I also have a VW T5 van with another e-bike for trips away cycling. My choice of e-bike for that purpose was completely different.

Those e-bikes on your own shortlist are likely better choices for what you need, although I do think the battery of the Stow-E-Way/Evo is going to be too small given your knee issue and thus you'll be using higher levels of assist a lot of the time.

Reactions: witzend

witzend

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2022
I only used the example of my own folding Fiido D11 in post #12 to illustrate that e-bikes with full throttles are available, even if not legal.
Those e-bikes on your own shortlist are likely better choices for what you need, although I do think the battery of the Stow-E-Way/Evo is going to be too small given your knee issue and thus you'll be using higher levels of assist a lot of the time.
Thanks the throttle, battery size and price favour the Rambeltta. So just going to try a hire bike during the next week just to see how we get on before making a final choice

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Yes I also found it very confusing choosing an ebike. Ended up buying something very different to what I had started off wanting, although I’m very happy with my choice. Having too much choice can make us afraid of making a mistake. I think despite their differences both the Rambletta and the Fido would be good choices for mail order and a Raleigh Stoweway or a folder from Wisper or Juicy if you want to pay the extra for dealer service.

witzend

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2022
Yes I also found it very confusing choosing an ebike. Having too much choice can make us afraid of making a mistake.
With out going over my budget the 2 bikes that are on my list are the Basis Osprey & Rambletta, Pity that it's not possible to actually see them before making a decision.
Another question as we will be using it from our camper does anyone use this type of charger

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Do you use hook-up, or have solar on your van?

Those chargers are fine if you're driving extended distances where the alternator is effectively charging the e-bike battery, but static, charging your e-bike, they'll suck 50%+ of the energy from a typical 100Ah battery.

Generally speaking, without a good solar system or a hook-up, you're better of with a spare e-bike battery, and charging at cafes or coffee shops en-route.

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Those chargers are fine if you're driving extended distances where the alternator is effectively charging the e-bike battery, but static, charging your e-bike, they'll suck 50%+ of the energy from a typical 100Ah battery.
Are you sure? If I cart it around on my holiday bike trailer with my other camping gear, I can charge my ebike battery from one of these at least once? That's fantastic!

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
If I cart it around on my holiday bike trailer with my other camping gear, I can charge my ebike battery from one of these at least once? That's fantastic!
No that's not fantastic at all, because the weight of a lead-acid battery on a trailer will be crippling unnecessary weight. For that purpose, @matthewslack has a good solution (the best I've seen)... or carry a spare bike battery which is (most often) lighter, more powerful and smaller.

A 100Ah Lead Bosch battery at 12v = 1200watts. Divide by (typically) 80w per hour of a 2A charger (either directly or through an inverter), and you'll roughly get 50%+ capacity loss dependant on the size/capacity of your own e-bike battery. Been there. Done that. IMHO, it's a waste of time.

In my own VW T5 tour van I use a Bluetti EB70 (716Wh LiFePO4) which is enough to fully charge a typical 400/500w battery. 2 x 100 Renogy SunPower panels generate 160w on a half-sunny day. Charger uses 80Wh, You can charge one e-bike battery whilst using the second, and the Bluetti is topped-off too. One 100w panel would be enough with decent sun, but 2 works better for me. But this is my own solution and won't be the best solution for all.

witzend

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2022
Do you use hook-up, or have solar on your van? charging at cafes or coffee shops en-route.
Thanks never use EHU in 15 yrs approx 8 mths a year only ever Wild Camped got 300 watt Solar 200 ah lithium battery 200watt PSW inverter so will be able to charge with that my reckoning that bit of kit would be less of a draw wouldn't like to sponge on cafes to charge my battery could mean sitting their for several hrs ?:D

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Thanks never use EHU in 15 yrs approx 8 mths a year only ever Wild Camped got 300 watt Solar 200 ah lithium battery 200watt PSW inverter so will be able to charge with that my reckoning that bit of kit would be less of a draw wouldn't like to sponge on cafes to charge my battery could mean sitting their for several hrs ?:D
With 300w solar in French sun, 200Ah storage and a decent inverter, you're probably just as well using the supplied 240v charger. Yes there are conversion losses, but there are losses too with the 12v buck converter types too. The reason they're less of a draw is simply because they're lower powered (and slower to charge) so as not to exceed the 10A rating of the 12v socket.

On the other hand, faster 3A or 4A mains chargers are useful for cafe charging if you don't carry a spare battery and want to attempt a longer trip out. They're much lighter to carry too.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
My winter charging setup depends entirely on cafes, pubs and anywhere else I can find a useful socket. Ferries and their shore waiting rooms have been very fruitful!

I avoid waiting hours by having two batteries and two 4.6A chargers, and managing the batteries so that they both need charging when I stop. One slow charger is not a good solution! I add about 2.5 hours riding time in a one hour stop.

Your big solar will probably do just fine via inverter as you can afford not to be at maximum efficiency. If you search for solar and read through the threads that pop up there is lots of discussion over the years, and in 'solar trailer build' most of what you need to know if you wanted to optimise.

witzend

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2022
Yes I also found it very confusing choosing an ebike. Ended up buying something very different to what I had started off wanting,
Well after a long week spent looking at a lot of bikes I've decided to go for the Ampere Alter
Course more £'s than planed but has throttle option an 15 ah battery. So thanks to all that have helped and in due course I'll let you know my opinions of it

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Obviously a typo regarding the battery capacity, one expects is should read 15ah.

• :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Obviously a typo regarding the battery capacity, one expects is should read 15ah.
I was hoping it really was 50ah - a range of 117 miles (with my usage), would put to rest range anxiety.

• :D

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I've decided to go for the Ampere Alter
I'd say that looks quite a good choice given what you've said you're going to need: A beefy 65nm motor, big 15Ah battery, throttle, foldable low-step, sprung saddle and forks, lights too. Stated charge time is suspect though... a 2A charger is going to take more like 8 or 9 hours for a full charge rather than the 6 stated. A faster charger might come in handy!

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Just looked at Witzend's link to the Ampere bike. Unless I misread the details the charger is 2amp the battery is 15ah but it only takes 6hours to fully recharge the battery. Am I misunderstanding how charging works? How does 6 hours at 2a put 15ah into the batter rather than 12ah I expected?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
because theses batts are made from cell banks of 18650 cells and the final part of charging is balancing these banks of cells.

my bosch 500w batt takes about 3.5hrs with a 4a charger

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
IMHO the 6 hours charge time relates to the smaller 10Ah battery option not the OP's 15Ah.

witzend

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2022
IMHO the 6 hours charge time relates to the smaller 10Ah battery option not the OP's 15Ah.
That sounds very likely something I completely missed didn't have charge times on spread sheet at least now I'll know why its taking a long time to charge. Perhaps a larger charger will be required but will have to see what my inverter can handle as there will be 2 to charge

witzend

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2022
Now more to think about what do you carry for road side repairs? puncture what type of pump the short ones can't be much use so are the co2 canisters worth having, or adding Slime or similar