Help to find a bike that needs little energy

Reg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 13, 2010
Hi everyone,
We are new to this forum and to the concept of elecric bikes.
If anyone could offer help we would be grateful.
My wife is quite ill and has asthma and ME/CFS ( extreme chronic fatigue ) and can only walk approx 1/2 mile at a time ( with stops ) and has very little staminia. But we would love the great outdoors and used to really enjoy cycling, does anyone know of a bike that could be used for 20/30 mile trips that the electric element would enable to her to use very little energy.
I believe the Kalkhoff Pro Connect is a very good strong bike.
Regards
Reg

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I have M.E too and during the cooler winter can walk a fair bit further than 1/2 a mile, however in the summer I'd do very well to reach 1/2 a mile. I've just bought a Cyclamtic Foldaway for exactly the same reason.

Bearing in mind I used to be a club level cyclist a few years ago at the moment I find around 4 miles my limit and even then I ache from head to toe for several days after a ride, I do pedal gently all of the time and whist my bike isn't the quickest or most powerful ebike out there I doubt that having something better would increase my range by much. It's surprising how much energy you use even when pedalling gently, and you use far more muscles than just walking, my arms are finding it pretty hard going at the moment.

I guess a bike that is comfortable has to be the first priority, I'm glad mine has an upright riding position, my old racer would kill my arms now.

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
You would probably be better off with a strong hub motor -maybe Ezee or Wisper[great back up]. Another excellent option would be Powerbyke -vastly underated -they are excellent hill climbers and quite powerful and have a nation wide afterservice with good online support in Frank.I think all of these bikes have throttle capability [at the moment !!] enabling the rider to do as much or least work as needed.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I expected to use just the throttle, but in all honesty I find gentle pedalling easier and more comfortable than just sitting there twisting the throttle.

Subjectively riding the bike feels easier than walking, but recovery afterwards tells a different story, however it is fantastic to be on a bike again and well worth the recovery days afterwards.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although the Pro Connect is a fine bike, that and all Panasonic unit equipped bikes demand minimum rider power contributions:

In Eco mode the rider has to put in 66% of the power needed.

In Standard mode the rider has to put in 50% of the power needed.

In most models high power mode the rider has to put in 43% of the power needed.

In some models including 2010 Kalkhoffs, the high power mode demands the rider puts in a little less at 40%.

So all in all, these are not ideally suited to your wife's need, especially as range will suffer if in high power mode all the time, and a hub motor bike is better as advised above by Xcytronex.

With a low rider contribution and the motor doing most of the work, only a bike with a very large battery will cope with 30 or more miles, so one of the Wisper models with their 14 Ah battery might be best.

That said, it's very important that your wife tries out any prospective choice first to ensure it suits. Fortunately Wisper do have a range of local dealers.

Reg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 13, 2010
Thanks

Hi everyone, just a very big thankyou for the extremely helpful reponses and sorry Artstu that you too suffer from this very debilitating problem, we have been given a lot to think about but again many thanks.
Regards
Reg

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Can I just say, the house next door has jsut been sold and the parents of the lady who will be moving in shortly have been chatting to me about her condition which sounds similar to your wife. The one joy in life she has at the moment is riding her E bike as and when she can. She only uses the throttle because she just doesn`t have the energy to pedal. Her father solved this by fitting an extra battery (actually i think he said she has three on board) So, I think that the future might look bright if you are determined to do this.

I don`t think it`s against regulations to have more batteries(increasing mileage) as long as you don`t increase power.

She wants her independance and I think they were a bit worried because they live a fair way away but I have put there mind at rest by telling them to make sure she carries a mobile so that I can go out and retrieve her if need be in my van which might well be a good idea in your case (probably never need it but it might give your wife a bit more confidence) if you know someone local who could help out.

They tell me that getting out on her bike(even without pedalling) has made a big difference to her condition mentally if nothing else.

Dave

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
They tell me that getting out on her bike(even without pedalling) has made a big difference to her condition mentally if nothing else.

Dave
I have to agree with that Dave, it gives a massive boost of feel good chemicals to the brain that whilst not a cure do ease the symptoms a little. I'm looking forward to summer when I can hopefully ride some of the old railway lines and maybe along the sea-front.

Andy Grayland

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2008
I have to agree with that Dave, it gives a massive boost of feel good chemicals to the brain that whilst not a cure do ease the symptoms a little. I'm looking forward to summer when I can hopefully ride some of the old railway lines and maybe along the sea-front.
Hi Reg

We have several customers with a similar condition. We sell lots of different bikes and I have to say that the Ezee chopper would by far be the best bike to try. Having 20" wheels and a 14Ah battery it is the best hill climber I know of by a long way. The bike is only assisted to 13 MPH but that can be a small price to pay for the amount of assistance you get. You would be very welcome to come and try all of your options at OnBike. We also have Panasonic based and Wisper bikes to try.

Good luck in you search

Andy
OnBike

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Slower top speed better hill climbing

Hi Andy

Just to let you know we are going to be offering a set of gears that will convert a Wisper from high speed to high hill climb ability next month.

We will also be offering a set of internal hub motor gears that will reduce hill climbing ability but raise the top speed significantly (for off road use only).

We are going to provide customers with exactly the speed / hill climb set up they require, it is a simple balance, if a customer requires more hill climbing ability we can give it as long as they don't mind loosing a little top speed and visa versa.

They take about half an hour to install, and will cost £35.00.

All the best

David

Last edited:

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Hi Reg

i think you application for Ebike technology is very worthy. most of the commercial bikes will be a bit low powered as they are designed with pedaling in mind. fear not though, because with a few tweeks and some extra batteries you can increase the power of any bike. Xipi make some good high powered bikes if you don't want to tinker with anything. whatever you buy you can PM me if you need to tweek it.

theWoosh

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
I have finally put the order for the Cyclone mid-drive kit (650W) and have my 24v 30AH LiFePo4 batteries on order from Ping.

After much consultation on here and on the web, we decided that the only thing powerful enough to get my partner (who has ME/CFS) up the 1 in 5 hills round here was going to be this combo. After all that research it was funny that it turned out a good friend round the corner who also has ME had just bought the same kit exactly! So at least we were able to check it out first.

No pedalling required!

Of course it is totally illegal on the road (without tax & insurance and a helmet), but we will take our chances, if it allows her to get about, and get to places where she hasnt been able to go for years coz you can't get a car near...

I hope your hunt goes as well...

theWoosh

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I have finally put the order for the Cyclone mid-drive kit (650W) and have my 24v 30AH LiFePo4 batteries on order from Ping.

theWoosh
I look forward to seeing how the project develops and also how your wife gets on with it.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

After much consultation on here and on the web, we decided that the only thing powerful enough to get my partner (who has ME/CFS) up the 1 in 5 hills round here was going to be this combo. After all that research it was funny that it turned out a good friend round the corner who also has ME had just bought the same kit exactly! So at least we were able to check it out first.

No pedalling required!

Of course it is totally illegal on the road (without tax & insurance and a helmet), but we will take our chances, if it allows her to get about, and get to places where she hasnt been able to go for years coz you can't get a car near...

I hope your hunt goes as well...

theWoosh
Good luck! as far as legal goes then in your life you have more to worry about than a few extra watts of power (that no one will notice anyway) and the smile it will bring on your good ladies face will be worth everything. Keep us informed how it all turns out for the pair of you.

Dave