Help us build a better Ebike battery

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Hi OP

Since the information provided by yourself has been a little sparse, excuse my question if it is not relevant.

Is your charging topology applicable to other cell types, or just your own proprietary packs? I (and many others into high power setups) run a multi kW pack and would definitely be interested in a high power (2kW+), high density, high efficiency, compact charger/supply.

Last edited:

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
Hi OP

Since the information provided by yourself has been a little sparse, excuse my question if it is not relevant.

Is your charging topology applicable to other cell types, or just your own proprietary packs? I (and many others into high power setups) run a multi kW pack and would definitely be interested in a high power (2kW+), high density, high efficiency, compact charger/supply.
Can I add the thought of batterypacks for domestic photovoltaic cells - currently they run at about £7000-8000 for a 7KwH battery pack for a 4Kw photovoltaic cell installation

lnunell

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2017
UK
Hi OP

At the moment we are only working with certain cells (so we can get something out in months not years) but we have tested it with Lead acid and other lithium chemistry.

Our target at the moment is a 1.2kW 'ish' charger as this is compatible with mains outlets (have to take into account potentially bad house wiring)

lnunell

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2017
UK
Update!

I wanted to give you all an update on our progress and what we are expecting to achieve in the next 12 months before launch.

We have sized up 3 battery packs for a 48 volt system, a 132wh pack (for scooters), a 264wh pack for Ebikes and a 396wh pack for extended range.

One of the main advantages of running at 48 volt (well 57.6v when fully charged) is the efficiency is higher in the whole system, we are running several % higher efficiency on the motors, >88% efficiency on the charger and our test bench is running beyond expectations.

We have several versions of our charger running now but in a very 'dirty prototype' stage and have received grant funding to develop the system to a fully running system (mainly the battery management and analysis system).

We have estimates for our charging speed that are pretty much on par with what we estimated:

• We have a 900 watt charger estimate with our 48v system looking like it will be 20 amp output (20 amp @ 57.6v)
  • Our 132wh pack <10 minute to charge to 100%
  • Our 264wh pack <20 minute to charge to 100%
  • Our 396wh pack <30 minute to charge to 100%
We think that the pricing will be just below the cost of the Bosch system for equivalent battery sizes but with fast charging, as we are using the highest quality components to keep the efficiency high and not cheap components and parts that we have witnessed with most of the Chinese charger versions.

Let me know if you have any questions so far.

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you check whether a 48v battery is allowed under EN 15194? The standard says "up to 48v". Some test houses interpret that as 48v max, so they don't allow 48v batteries that can go up to 57.6v.

264WH is not enough for an Ebike. You need a minimum of 400Wh - ideally 500Wh.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

lnunell

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2017
UK
Did you check whether a 48v battery is allowed under EN 15194? The standard says "up to 48v". Some test houses interpret that as 48v max, so they don't allow 48v batteries that can go up to 57.6v.

264WH is not enough for an Ebike. You need a minimum of 400Wh - ideally 500Wh.
We have been working with systems up to 60v for some time now, the CE and UL standard for high voltage is >60v DC so as long as you work below this during charging then you are fine. This applies the same for the EN 15194 standards as far as we have experienced.

Regarding the higher capacity packs, yes we can go higher, we should be able to charge a 450wh pack in under 30 minutes, the problem you have is then diminishing returns on the size of the pack in Wh vs the miles range. Once you go beyond 400wh packs you will see a large drop off due to the weight of the system.

We have been focusing more in efficiency gains and high quality and efficiency BMS systems to maximise the potential of the power already in the pack.

Thanks,

D

Deleted member 4366

This applies the same for the EN 15194 standards as far as we have experienced.
You had better check that. If I was your boss, those words wouldn't fill me with confidence that you know the answer.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You had better check that. If I was your boss, those words wouldn't fill me with confidence that you know the answer.
inunell is the boss.

• :D
Reactions: basicasic

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Inunell,

do you intend to integrate your charger into docking stations?

lnunell

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2017
UK
Inunell,

do you intend to integrate your charger into docking stations?

We have not really focused on size and implementation at the moment, we are currently working about 9cm x 9cm x 30cm size of the chargers, so they can be either separate or built into a docking station. If they are in docking stations they can also be easily paralleled up for more power output.

The three things we are focusing on with our architecture is, lowest price per watt, efficiency and reduction in bill of materials.

Thanks,

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
whenever I asked a manufacturer for charger in their docking stations, they stop talking to me and yet, you can't have a public shared e-bike without charging and docking stations. I must add that there are a couple of French systems for that.

lnunell

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2017
UK
whenever I asked a manufacturer for charger in their docking stations, they stop talking to me and yet, you can't have a public shared e-bike without charging and docking stations. I must add that there are a couple of French systems for that.
Yep completely agree that you need docking stations for hire schemes and that is what we are focusing on for our own hire scheme. The only reason I can see why they may stop talking to you once you say that is they probably see limited number of sales for more effort. Silly really.

lnunell

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2017
UK
What is the answer then? Many people would like to know. Does your battery comply with EN 15194 or not?

All of this is in early prototype stage so we have not certified it yet (we are focusing on the charger) but yes it will be EN 15194 when we finish.

lnunell

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2017
UK
Here is another question: Bottle rack mount or pannier mount, which is the most popular? We are designing for bottle mount but have scope to have two versions if demand is there.