Help with bike choice for old guy :-)

E-Pashley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 23, 2020
The wonderful thing about advice on a bikes is that there as many opinions as there are bikes.

There are 2 very important considerations - you need the range for your journeys and most importantly, you have to feel comfortable with the bike.
Obviously these are unusual times and trying to arrange a test ride is more of a problem, however shops should still be able to offer this service. (I know my local eBike shop is operating an appointment system with pre-booking for test rides.)
With different bikes applying the power in different ways, as well as the obvious consideration of ergonomics, I would highly recommend trying any bike before committing to a purchace.

Blaster Bates

Apr 23, 2020
Hi Woosh thanks for taking the time to add the detailed reply, the Faro and Camino look like nice bikes. The Faro being in stock is appealing but the tyres are my concern. Do you intend to restock with the Camino as it could be worth waiting.
Thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Do you intend to restock with the Camino as it could be worth waiting.
yes, the new batch will be here mid/end of July.
Alongside the same Camino that I have been selling since last year, there will be a new batch of Camino MTB.
The fork and motor on the new Camino MTB have been upgraded, front suspension is with bolt through maxle, rear new motor has torque arms to prevent detaching wheels when downhilling. Fixed stem, new handlebars, new saddle, 11T-34T cassette, same 15AH/17AH battery.

Last edited:

Blaster Bates

Apr 23, 2020
Many thanks for all your replies so far, the advice and information has really helped as I realise my £1000 means any Ebike I consider will have some negatives.
I am still not a great deal further on for several reasons, the current situation means shops are closed for browsing which is not ideal also some of the bikes I considered are out of stock.
I have dismissed the kite.
The emovement S2 is still a possibility.
I have spoken to Woosh who were very approachable and helpful but the bike is not due until late July.

Others have thrown suggestions into the mix such as the "Moscow NCM" which appears not to be available,
cyclotricity stealth, decathlon riverside.

My limited knowledge coupled with the advice leads me to believe that the important features for what I need are going to be the elecs (minimum 10ah 36v ?) and the wheels/tyres which need to be suited to my needs.
I may be wrong but on a bike of this cost the brakes and gears etc will all be much of the same quality and do a similar job so not a major consideration.

Once again thanks for the help and advice.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
One thing I have learned is is the weight of the bike is more important when peddling above assist in which case the woosh faro will be my future choice I'm sure 32c tyres (any cx type) would smooth out light tow and gravel tracks allowing you to explore But if your ride is to sit at assistance speed then weight is not as significant and out and out comfort more important

Blaster Bates

Apr 23, 2020
One thing I have learned is is the weight of the bike is more important when peddling above assist in which case the woosh faro will be my future choice I'm sure 32c tyres (any cx type) would smooth out light tow and gravel tracks allowing you to explore But if your ride is to sit at assistance speed then weight is not as significant and out and out comfort more important
I really like the looks of the Faro and available with 17ah at my budget, and in stock so wouldn't have to take waiting 3 months into consideration (as with Camino).
It was Woosh themselves in here (fair play to them for that) that mentioned and confirmed my reservations with the tyres for what I need (would they also be more prone to puncture on tow path and light gravel ? )
The tyres fitted to the Faro are advertised as 700c x 28cst , are you suggesting I could change them for something more substantial and if so what would you recommend and approx cost ?
If this is an option I could be close to a solution :)

Thanks for taking the time to advise me.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The tyres fitted to the Faro are advertised as 700c x 28cst , are you suggesting I could change them for something more substantial and if so what would you recommend and approx cost ?
The supplied tyres are Maxxis Detonator 700 x 28C.
They are good tyres. You can always find better such as Schwalbe Marathon Plus
The fork and frame can take slightly larger 32C tyres.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/maxxis-detonator-folding-road-tyre/rp-prod175014

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-tyres/schwalbe-marathon-plus-reflex-tyre-700x28c-130016.html

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Woosh's main concern with Faro was bumpiness on things like forest tracks ... OK for the riding you initially asked for. I'm sure you could use something like Marathon Plus of the same size which would resolve the puncture issue, but wouldn't improve the ride.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
You will have to check with woosh but I'm guessing that 32c will fit (mudguard and frame clearance) A lot of high price gravel and cyclocross bikes fit 32s for off-road use As for types there are many many with prices wide ranging But I'd strongly recommend puncture protect types again there are numerous Don't get me wrong this set up is not for serious muddy or rocky off-roading for that you'll need 40c or more at a low tyre pressure and suspension I personally think for light trails and cycle tracks front suspension is not really helpful (I often leave my roc shocks locked out) just pick a better line just nothing too scary or really fast and you'll be fine

Blaster Bates

Apr 23, 2020
You will have to check with woosh but I'm guessing that 32c will fit (mudguard and frame clearance) A lot of high price gravel and cyclocross bikes fit 32s for off-road use As for types there are many many with prices wide ranging But I'd strongly recommend puncture protect types again there are numerous Don't get me wrong this set up is not for serious muddy or rocky off-roading for that you'll need 40c or more at a low tyre pressure and suspension I personally think for light trails and cycle tracks front suspension is not really helpful (I often leave my roc shocks locked out) just pick a better line just nothing too scary or really fast and you'll be fine
Looks promising, thanks for your input. Woosh have replied above that I could fit a 32 and having just checked I can can get a decent pair for a reasonable £50+. What would I expect to pay to get a bike shop to swap them, guessing nothing too horrendous ?

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out :)