Help with bottom bracket for bbshd

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Eclipse have a few to choose from if in stock.
Woosh or Jimmy at BGA/Insat.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Spacers don't come with the motor kit, Luna in USA do a spacer kit. You can use BB spacers, but I don't recommend using them as they are not a good fit and you have quite a large gap to fill. Try and find a retired engineer with a lathe, I find they are usually happy to help for not a huge cost.

Paul chef

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Llanelli, Wales
Spacers don't come with the motor kit, Luna in USA do a spacer kit. You can use BB spacers, but I don't recommend using them as they are not a good fit and you have quite a large gap to fill. Try and find a retired engineer with a lathe, I find they are usually happy to help for not a huge cost.
Any idea of the dimensions, I'd like to get a few different ones done locally, ready for when my kit arrives

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
  1. ex. diameter of BB+1mm external and 34mm internal. Diameter of Bafang BB is 33.5mm.
  2. You need to make up your BB to 100mm, so 16mm thick spacers will do the job. 16+16+68=100. This will keep the drive central, the downside is with the bafang chain wheel, it will push your chainline out and you may find lower gears difficult/impossible to use. A Bling Ring chainwheel will help with this as it has a 20mm offset and will push your chainline inward to somewhere near original. Or you can offset the drive with different thickness spacers. I would hold off making spacers until you have the drive unit when you will be able to see what works best. Who said mid drives were easy eh?:confused:
This may give you an idea of what you want to achieve. 120mm drive on 100mm BB with 10mm spacers each side.
2018-04-18 10.20.25.jpg

Last edited:

Paul chef

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Llanelli, Wales
Thanks for that wheeliepete, I’ll have to try and find a retired engineer to help me out, my brothers a retired toolmaker and would have been ideal but he’s living in Spain now
My other dilemma now is that a down tube battery looks like it won’t fit inside my triangle so think I’ll have to look at a rear rack