help with Charger

garysnooker

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2020
i just bought a battery of Ebike Batteries i must say what a great guy jimmy is

i bought a 36v 17.5Ah battery the Charger ive got is a 42v 2 ah would it be ok to use it on the battery

Attachments

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Assuming it is a standard battery with no extra comms connections (it probably is) it should be fine.

Before you connect CHECK THE POLARITY. (sorry to shout, but sometimes it's necessary).

36v batteries are around 42v fully charged (and well below 36v when getting near empty) and need a 42v charger. Just a quibble, the charger is probably 2a, not 2ah; that's a pretty standard charging rate for e-bike batteries. You can charge faster, but at the risk of reducing battery life.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
From empty or about 31v the battery will about 9- 9.5 hrs to balance charge fully at 2a. As mentioned 36v is the nominal voltage and voltage range is 31v - 42v, your charger is the correct voltage for the battery.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Best to plug the charger into the mains first, then connect to the battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The spark happens when you don't turn the charger on first before connecting to the battery, the charger capacitors are empty and need priming with voltage so it is doing so via the battery in reverse.
When the charger isn't connected to the mains or battery the capacitors empty/self drain any voltage. Sparking over time will cause damage to both charge connections so get in to a routine of plug in to wall turn on then connect to battery, if battery has a switch then turn that on as well once connected.

D

Deleted member 33385

The order seems to vary - instructions that arrived with my Bafang BBS01b kit says to plug the charger into the mains (without switching the mains on), connect the unpowered battery to the charger, then switch on mains power. Makes no mention of the battery switch, but I usually keep that switched off during charging. Nothing has sparked or exploded yet.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The battery switch turns the BMS on usually, this can be tested by checking the battery voltage with switch off and on. Off the battery reads about 20v or so and on one gets the full battery voltage.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You must plug in the charger to the mains and switch it on before plugging into the battery to avoid the inrush that causes the spark.

It doesn't matter whether you charge with the battery switched on or off. That doesn't normally affect the charge socket.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The order seems to vary - instructions that arrived with my Bafang BBS01b kit says to plug the charger into the mains (without switching the mains on), connect the unpowered battery to the charger, then switch on mains power. Makes no mention of the battery switch, but I usually keep that switched off during charging. Nothing has sparked or exploded yet.
That is incorrect for a normal Chinese battery and charger with a 5.5mm jack. . You only switch on after inserting the jack when the battery has comms with the charger, like Bosch, Suntour, Shimano, Yamaha, etc systems - basically, any charger that has more than two conductors in the charge connector.

If you don't switch on before inserting the jack, you get the spark, which, though harmless itself, can do catastrophic damage to the battery when it welds itself to the socket. I've seen two 5.5 mm jack sockets explode when the jack was pulled out after it stuck to the blade in the socket. That's not a problem if you have the RCA type charge plug, or the coax type.

If you're not getting a spark the way you're doing it, then don't worry. Maybe your charger is not a standard cheapo Chinese type and has some protection against the inrush. Anybody who gets the spark must switch on the charger first.

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

That is incorrect for a normal Chinese battery and charger with a 5.5mm jack. . You only switch on after inserting the jack when the battery has comms with the charger, like Bosch, Suntour, Shimano, Yamaha, etc systems - basically, any charger that has more than two conductors in the charge connector.

If you don't switch on before inserting the jack, you get the spark, which, though harmless itself, can do catastrophic damage to the battery when it welds itself to the socket. I've seen two 5.5 mm jack sockets explode when the jack was pulled out after it stuck to the blade in the socket. That's not a problem if you have the RCA type charge plug, or the coax type.

If you're not getting a spark the way you're doing it, then don't worry. Maybe your charger is not a standard cheapo Chinese type and has some protection against the inrush. Anybody who gets the spark must switch on the charger first.

Thank you for your explanation vfr. I'll follow the instructions supplied with my battery and charger until the warranty runs out, and then open the charger and battery up for a detailed inspection. My charger has a RCA plug.

D

Deleted member 33385

My charger is a dplc084v42y, just two conductors, RCA plug:

D

Deleted member 33385

Here are the destructions:

Use and maintenance of the charger:

1. When charging, first connector to the battery, then connect to AC; after full, cut off AC, then pull the battery plug. If you pull the battery plug first while charging, especially when the charging current is large (red light), it is very easy to damage the charger.

2. When the LED light turns green, please continue charging for 2-3 hours.

3. Please do not run out of battery power, then charger. Otherwise the battery cannot be protected or even damaged.

4. long-term shallow discharge battery, about 3 months, for a deep discharge, is the so-called re-lighting, which is conducive to the activation of long-term immobile material in the deep part of the battery. Luminous means that riding the controller battery undervoltage protection action.

5.Please use the charger in a dry place in time.

6.When you do not use the charger, do not always connect the power supply.

7.Please confirm your battery, Because it is used to charge the lithium battery. Do not use the charger on the LiFepo4 battery, otherwise the charger will be got incredibly hot.

D

Deleted member 33385

Maybe the instructions supplied with my battery is an attempt to sabotage my battery, forcing me to buy a new one in short order?

D

Deleted member 33385

As I said, the arcing isn't a problem for your type of jack. It's only the 5.5mm coax type that gives problems.

It's all very interesting! I'll open up the battery and charger after the warranty runs out at end of December to work out exactly how it all functions.