Help with electric Brompton

Pabs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2010
Welcome assistance / help with my electric brompton (conversion from NanoBrompton - battery in the bag).

Coming home from work with a fully charged battery I managed about half mile then no power. I had to pull up the bag and reconnect then power comes on and as soon as press the thumb trottle power goes off. Anyway had to use manual leg power for 7 miles to home.

This evening I checked the voltage and showed 38volts - I charged the battery and when fully charged showed 43volts. I then did a simple test of using the motor indoors and managed about 2 miles then no power. I checked the voltage and now shows 39volts. Is the battery now needs replacing as not enough amps going to the motor?

By the way my Brompton has so far done over 5,000 miles and the only problem I have had was damaged rings inside the motor and this was repaired by NanoBrompton who are fantastic in dealing with me. The bike is over 2 years old.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Sounds like the battery problem to me. Maybe one of the cells is dead.

Maybe you can get the nanobrompton to have a look

Patt

Pabs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2010
Thank you Patt.
An update, the battery which I have is a 5AH 36v and to repair the couple of cells is not cost effective. therefore, I managed to get an a connector from NanoBrompton - this will allow to use the Bosch 4AH battery. So managed to get a new charger and a battery 36v 4AH for £36.00...yes £36 from Amazon.
Tested this battery over 5 miles and no problems. For my daily journey to work 8 miles each way should be OK.

Happy cycling to all!

Pabs

Reactions: VictoryV

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Thank you Patt.
An update, the battery which I have is a 5AH 36v and to repair the couple of cells is not cost effective. therefore, I managed to get an a connector from NanoBrompton - this will allow to use the Bosch 4AH battery. So managed to get a new charger and a battery 36v 4AH for £36.00...yes £36 from Amazon.
Tested this battery over 5 miles and no problems. For my daily journey to work 8 miles each way should be OK.

Happy cycling to all!

Pabs
Hi Pabs

Good to it is working again.

Would you mind to share the link of this battery from amazon? :)

Pat

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Hi Pabs. It doesn't seem to come with the charger though. Would you mind to confirm it? Thanks
Pat