Help with electrical light fault!!

Hux

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 8, 2019
Hopefully someone can help!
I have a rocket 88, which is similar to a Super 73 / mario ebike with a 250 hub motor. I bought it new from the Uk but it was made in China.

I tried (unsucsefully) to swap the headlight (I bought the wrong voltage light). Got a few sparks so I put the old one back on. Now the front and rear light are stuck on. The only way I can turn them off is to remove the battery. The switch still turns on the display but not the lights.

I think I may have bust the controller. As it can’t be anything else. I am a complete novice, so have been looking for a new controller, but I can’t find the same one! Can I fit any controller that’s the same voltage? Could a new controller mess the bike up?

everything else works fine. as everything else works I can only assume it’s the controller. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You've most likely blown the transistor that does the switching inside the controller. They're only designed for low-power lights. Did you try to connect higher power ones? The voltage doesn't matter. It's the current that counts. You can still solve it by using an external switch on the wires.

That's an interesting bike. I've not seen it before. It looks like it has standard Chinese electrics, the same as what normal ebikes use.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The kit from what I see looks as if it is a Bafang.

Hux

Oct 8, 2019
You've most likely blown the transistor that does the switching inside the controller. They're only designed for low-power lights. Did you try to connect higher power ones? The voltage doesn't matter. It's the current that counts. You can still solve it by using an external switch on the wires.

That's an interesting bike. I've not seen it before. It looks like it has standard Chinese electrics, the same as what normal ebikes use.

Hux

Oct 8, 2019
Thanks for your help, I ordered a 12v motorcycle light. Needless to say it didn’t work. Been told I can get a dc to dc adapter! Not sure if that will work though.

will any controller do to replace, or would I be better using an external switch?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Are all bafang controllers the same? How would I know if it’s bafang. Thanks
Take a pic of the controller label/legend on it and one of the lcd and post them here, the lcd looks very much like c961 as found on BBS01/02 kits.

Hux

Oct 8, 2019
Take a pic of the controller label/legend on it and one of the lcd and post them here, the lcd looks very much like c961 as found on BBS01/02 kits.
The LCD is a C961 (good spot) and I have attached a picture of the Controller. Is the C691 a decent unit? Is it worth upgrading?
Thanks

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You need a Bafang compatible controller to use with the 961, problem might be finding one.
Other wise it may be easier to upgrade the controller with Keunteng/KT one and an lcd3 or lcd8.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You don't need to replace the controller. The blown transistor won't do any harm. It only switches the lights. Use an external switch. If you want brighter lights, wire them to the battery Splice in a couple of wires anywhere between the controller and battery. For 12v lights, you'll need a buck converter. Make sure that it can supply enough current.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for your help, I ordered a 12v motorcycle light. Needless to say it didn’t work. Been told I can get a dc to dc adapter! Not sure if that will work though.

will any controller do to replace, or would I be better using an external switch?
If it is just the lights that don't switch off and everything else works just use a simple in line switch or a Wuxing handle bar light switch. Use a light with an internal buck converter with 6 v - 60v range.

Hux

Oct 8, 2019
You don't need to replace the controller. The blown transistor won't do any harm. It only switches the lights. Use an external switch. If you want brighter lights, wire them to the battery Splice in a couple of wires anywhere between the controller and battery. For 12v lights, you'll need a buck converter. Make sure that it can supply enough current.
What voltage buck converter do I need to power a 12v headlight? Thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Hux

Oct 8, 2019
thanks for this, forgive my ignorance! This is all new to me. Could I just swap the bulb for a 32v led? Would that work. Really appreciate the advice

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You need at least 50v input voltage one. The othere important thing is the current. You need to say how many watts the bulb is, then divide that by 12 to get the current, then add on at least 50% for safety. If it's an LED light, you need to post the spec because that's more complicated.

Note that the converter in the link is not suitable because it's only 28v.